Downright Scary...

Old July 11th 04, 09:49 PM
Snowbird

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:7lTGc.6680$WX.4072@attbi_s51...
Hopefully it wasn't while the pool was closed? (Some dolt let their kid
swim wearing a full diaper!

Why on earth do people do stuff like that? I bet you even have swim
diapers available at cost at the desk, or would give people the wheels
to run into town and buy some.

Bugs me at our local pool. There are big signs posted everywhere
about wearing clean swim diapers in the pool and swimsuits, not
street clothes. But all the time I see kids in regular diapers,
which soak up a couple pounds of water and sag at the legs and
pull the closures loose.

The lifeguards must see it too, but no one says "go get a swim diaper
or get out".

Anyway, hope the rest of your guests this summer have more sense.

Best,
Sydney
Old July 11th 04, 11:07 PM
Peter Duniho

"Snowbird" wrote in message
om...
Not at all! In fact, I think Florida pilots get in trouble if they
use Florida techniques around tstorms in the midwest.

As far as I'm concerned, the thunderstorms you appear to be talking about in
the midwest are not what I'd call "navigable".

One quite commonly gets unnavigable thunderstorms in both the midwest and in
Florida (though with differing frequency of course), and different
techniques are used, no doubt.

In any case, I'm willing to believe thunderstorms and haze co-exist. I've
just never seen any problems navigating around thunderstorms because of haze
flying VFR.

Pete

Old July 12th 04, 01:48 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Peter Gottlieb wrote:

Remind me again why we live here?

I moved here for the money. Had over 18 years at a job that paid well. How 'bout you?

George Patterson
In Idaho, tossing a rattlesnake into a crowded room is felony assault.
In Tennessee, it's evangelism.
Old July 12th 04, 04:12 AM
Peter Gottlieb

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Peter Gottlieb wrote:

Remind me again why we live here?

I moved here for the money. Had over 18 years at a job that paid well. How

'bout you?

Oh yeah, that was it. On the other hand, now I'm doing different things,
not commuting into the city every day...

Old July 12th 04, 05:52 PM
Journeyman

In article JSmGc.14184$JR4.8572@attbi_s54, Jay Honeck wrote:
Whilst supping a cold one with friends at our hangar not long ago, a
short-lived yet intense summer storm blew through. High winds, heavy rain,
and impressive lightning caused us to lower the door a tad, but didn't deter
us from our appointed beers.

Right as the storm passed, we watched in amazement as a Skyhawk entered
downwind for Rwy 12. We all commented how we were glad not to have been in
that poor shmuck's shoes, and then returned to our conversation.

[snip]

By coincidence, Jay, you posted this the day I was on my way to your
hotel. We had stopped in South Bend for lunch, and I was looking at
the weather radar. There was a nice curling line of yellow forming
just around Iowa City. It looked like I could fly South around the
line and still get to the night's destination.

Tina's Weather Advice: whenever you're not sure what the weather's
doing, grab a local who seems to have more experience and ask them. So,
I grabbed a corporate pilot we'd been chatting with earlier. He said it
looked like the line would probably extend along the curving track
(rotating around a low, moving NE). Suggested we try going to Peoria
instead (well short of the line) and then getting a weather update
there. That suggestion immediately felt right.

We hung around a little longer. Sure enough, the storm seemed to be
developing the way he was saying. We launched for Peoria, landed there
and got the update. Then stayed there for the night, after a very
smooth ride and only one deviation around a nasty-looking cloud.

I've always felt you can't teach good judgement, but in this case I've
been fortunate enough to have some people point out the general
direction.

I've valued the good avice I've gotten. I think it's worth the effort
to *tactfully* point out a newbie pilot's flawed reasoning. Maybe he
didn't know better, maybe he did but got in over his head and didn't
want to admit it. It's still worth discussing.

Morris (hoping to stop by on the return trip next week)
Old July 13th 04, 12:08 AM
Frank Ch. Eigler

You are highly unlikely to be suffering 3 miles visibility in haze if there
are thunderstorms around. Thunderstorms imply unstable air, while haze
implies stable air. The two are usually mutually exclusive.

See it all the time here. OK, not three miles, more like five or six, but
still summer haze with thunderstorms popping up. [...]

This disagreement may be explained by unintentional conflation of
haze (HZ) and mist (BR). Only the former is rare in unstable air.

- FChE
Old July 13th 04, 12:15 AM
Journeyman

In article et, Dudley Henriques wrote:
[snip]

Wise words, Dudley. Have I mentioned how glad I am to have people like
you around here?

Morris
Old July 13th 04, 12:24 AM
Journeyman

In article . net, Dudley Henriques wrote:

[snip story about formation flying]

I've heard about a wing man on a formation flight that went under a
bridge. Lead pilot says to wing pilot, "you were brave to follow me
under the bridge". Wing pilot says, "what bridge?"

reiterate, it's far better to stay out of trouble in the first place!

It's far to late for that ;-)

Morris
Old July 13th 04, 12:29 AM
Journeyman

In article .net, Dudley Henriques wrote:

Sometimes the most important thing you learn from listening to someone
is that they don't know what they are talking about.
There are lessons to be learned on BOTH sides of the "listening coin"

Yeah, but sometimes it isn't immediately obvious who's who. I've been
wrong dissmissing people who turned out not to be idiots, and wrong
taking the word of people who turned out to be. In the end, time does
tell, though.

Morris