Katrina

Old September 1st 05, 05:06 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

It's official...
http://web.nbaa.org/public/cs/amc/2005/
New Orleans city officials today said it could take months before residents
evacuated from the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina would be allowed back into
the devastated city, prompting the National Business Aviation Association
(NBAA) to regrettably announce that conditions are forcing the Association
to move its 58th Annual Meeting & Convention from the city.

In acknowledging the necessity to move its Convention, NBAA expressed
sympathy for the citizens of New Orleans, and pledged to provide charitable
assistance to the city in the coming weeks.

“The NBAA and its Members join with the rest of America in expressing our
sorrow and concern for the people affected by this terrible tragedy,” said
NBAA President and CEO Ed Bolen. “It is unfortunate that we have no choice
but to move our Convention. However, we look forward to returning to New
Orleans when the city is again ready to accommodate our event.”

"Hilton" wrote in message
ink.net...
john smith wrote:
Any wagers on whether the National Business Aviation Association
convention is still be a "GO" for November 3-5 in New Orleans?

Not even close (IMHO). It's going to take weeks to close the holes, not
sure how long to pump the water out, then clean up, remove bodies and
debris, fight off diseases, start getting food and water back in, and so
on.
Don't forget, there's still a pretty good chance another hurricane will
affect them soon.

This cleanup effort will be in the order of months, and to return to any
sort of tourism/conventions will take 1-2 years minimum, not 1-2 months.
Just my 5c.

Hilton