Aviation+Street GPS

Old May 22nd 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Default GPS s/w for PalmOS wanted (was Aviation+Street GPS)

Lack of processor speed, lack of memory and a near total lack of decent
software.

Jose wrote:

Palm is a horrible operating system for these types of operations.

What is it about "these types of operations" that makes Palm horrible
for them (presumably without making it horrible for other stuff?)

Jose

Old May 22nd 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Justin Gombos

On 2007-05-22, Newps wrote:

Lack of processor speed, lack of memory

Neither of those could possibly be limitations of PalmOS - or any
other portable OS for that matter. Furthermore, PalmOS is *leaner*;
Palm apps get a larger portion of the resources.

BTW - you can expect GPS s/w for street navigation to demand
substantially more processor speed due to significantly more complex
algorithms, and a 312 MHz Arm processor (at least 2 years old now) can
run TomTom 6 quite fine - and TT6 is a fairly bloated app.

and a near total lack of decent software.

I only need one good nav app. Having more keeps the price down, but
$170 is reasonable. I would like to get the app for less, but
certainly not at the cost of creating a dependancy on the Fisher-Price
of unreliable and bloated operating systems.

--
PM instructions: do a C4esar Ciph3r on my address; retain punctuation.
Old May 22nd 07, 08:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Justin,

There is no chance I would
allow Microsoft to support any aspect of my aviation navigation.

Oh? Then don't let yourself be caught behind many of the modern glass
panels... Read: blanket statements like that are not really useful

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 22nd 07, 11:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Thomas Borchert wrote:

There is no chance I would
allow Microsoft to support any aspect of my aviation navigation.

Oh? Then don't let yourself be caught behind many of the modern glass
panels... Read: blanket statements like that are not really useful

When you say "modern glass panels", do you mean just a moving map
(ala Avidyne's multifunctioni display for SA) or do you include glass displaying
primary instruments as well? I'm not aware of any certified glass for
primary instruments that uses any variant of a microsoft OS. And I
think it's still true that no microsoft OS has been certified to DO-178B
level C or better.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old May 22nd 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

On 2007-05-22, Paul Tomblin wrote:
(I'm a slightly biased observer here - if you buy it through
aeropda.com instead of downloading and registering the two
applications separately, I get a small cut.)

No problem.. thanks for pointing it out. Do you use the tool as your
*primary* nav system, or is it a backup?

I use CoPilot in the flight planning stages, but I don't use FlightMaster
since I don't have a GPS for my Treo yet.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
If you don't pay for criminally bad software through the nose, you will
Old May 22nd 07, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Jose said:
Palm is a horrible operating system for these types of operations.

What is it about "these types of operations" that makes Palm horrible
for them (presumably without making it horrible for other stuff?)

The biggest problem with Palm OS is that it's single tasking - it can't be
doing much of anything in the background. They are in the process of
converting Palm OS into a shell running on a Linux kernel that will fix
that problem, and personally I can't wait.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
Endless Loop: n., see Loop, Endless.
Old May 22nd 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Paul Tomblin wrote:

In a previous article, Jose said:

Palm is a horrible operating system for these types of operations.

What is it about "these types of operations" that makes Palm horrible
for them (presumably without making it horrible for other stuff?)

The biggest problem with Palm OS is that it's single tasking - it can't be
doing much of anything in the background. They are in the process of
converting Palm OS into a shell running on a Linux kernel that will fix
that problem, and personally I can't wait.

It's too late. I've had Palm. I've had three versions of Microsoft
Mobile including the latest on my Motorola Q. Palm was OK on the Treo
when I had it but is far surpassed by Win Mobile 5. Hard to see how
Palm is going to get me back.

Old May 22nd 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Erik

Default Aviation+Street GPS

Thomas Borchert wrote:

Charles,

Does anyone know of any reasonable cost GPSs suitable for both street
and aviation use.

In a word: No. While the Garmin 296 is a nice unit, it will be much
more expensive than, say, a Lowrance 600c for aviation (the Airmaps
don't do turn-by-turn) and any TomTom, Garmin or whatever for streets.

I'd like to see Tom Tom freak out when you're going over
intersections diagonally. No stop signs, no red lights,
no "left turn at next intersection".

Old May 23rd 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Justin Gombos

On 2007-05-22, Thomas Borchert wrote:
Justin,

There is no chance I would allow Microsoft to support any aspect of
my aviation navigation.

Oh? Then don't let yourself be caught behind many of the modern
glass panels...

NASA still uses computers from the 70s for some operations because
they are proven and reliable. It's a poor choice to opt for useless
frills and eye candy if it also downgrades reliability on a safety
critical application. You're also presuming that there does not exist
a non-Microsoft dependant glass panel; and I'm not sure that that's a
valid point. Even if it were, I would rather wait around for a
quality product.

Read: blanket statements like that are not really useful

I didn't read your comment that way. Furthermore, of course it's
useful for readers to hear that products they may be in the market for
are unreliable, or wholly dependant on unreliable code. Naive
consumers often don't even know there are alternatives to MS products,
much less have any idea of the quality of their products.

--
PM instructions: do a C4esar Ciph3r on my address; retain punctuation.
Old May 24th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Frank Eigler

(Paul Tomblin) writes:

Palm is a horrible operating system for these types of operations.

What is it about "these types of operations" that makes Palm horrible
for them (presumably without making it horrible for other stuff?)

The biggest problem with Palm OS is that it's single tasking - it can't be
doing much of anything in the background. [...]

That's true as far as that goes, and yet my Garmin iQue 3600a has no
problem keeping the GPS mapping software going, MP3's playing, and yet
work on some ordinary palm app.

- FChE

Beale Street Rocks! Jay Honeck Piloting 19 March 20th 07 03:21 AM
cloud street [email protected] Soaring 2 May 2nd 06 10:37 PM
cloud street [email protected] Soaring 0 April 26th 06 08:53 PM
Cloud Street Arts? [email protected] Soaring 3 June 8th 05 07:32 PM
Legal distance between street & helipad Darryl Rotorcraft 2 May 28th 04 10:11 PM