First Long Cross-Country as a Pilot -- Any tips?

Old May 23rd 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default First Long Cross-Country as a Pilot -- Any tips?

Any tips to ease the flight? Good tips for fuel consumption savings?
Tips for taming my 2-year old for the flight?

Mary and I have been doing long x-country flights with our kids since
birth (they're 13 and 16 now), so we've done this a few times.

1. At age 2, they probably won't keep the headset on. Solution: A
hooded light jacket! Tie the hood around his/her little chin, and
double-knot it. Then fly high where it's cool, so they don't sweat to
death.

2. Buy a cheap suction-cup window shade. Keeps the sun out of their
eyes.

3. Books! Lots of books, and coloring books. Let them use colored
PENCILS, which don't hurt the interior like crayons do.

4. Barf bags. Each of my kids threw up in the plane once, and we
(thankfully) had barf bags.

5. A small water bottle. Let them take little sips, not slugs, or
you'll have a full diaper before you land. (You'll probably have that
anyway.)

6. A comfy car seat! Something that lets them recline works great,
and they will fall asleep before you're out of the pattern.

Enjoy the flight -- you're using your airplane for what it's really
designed to do! (Pilots that never leave the pattern -- or their
state -- are a mystery to me.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 24th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

In article .com,
Jay Honeck wrote:

4. Barf bags. Each of my kids threw up in the plane once, and we
(thankfully) had barf bags.

Use 0ne-quart freezer zip-lock bags. Not the ones with the slider, the
ones that press together.
Old May 24th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John[_1_]

On May 23, 7:14 pm, john smith wrote:
In article .com,
Jay Honeck wrote:

4. Barf bags. Each of my kids threw up in the plane once, and we
(thankfully) had barf bags.

Use 0ne-quart freezer zip-lock bags. Not the ones with the slider, the
ones that press together.

John,

What's wrong with the kind that have slider openings (or should I say
closings). Lord knows we want the thing to stay closed.

Take care . . .

John