Spot or InReach ??

Old May 13th 18, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Spot or InReach ??

My gen 3 spot sends and logs altitude data. Also sends battery status.
Old May 13th 18, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Has anyone got Lockheed Martin Flight Services to link to their InReach?
I've only managed to link to FlightAware.
And does SPOT X claim to link these or similar functions?
Jim
Old May 13th 18, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Jonathan,

No. I'm certain that no SPOT device so far has sent altitude data while tracking. I think you are seeing the ground elevation that is displayed by SPOT's web site on the tracking page - which assumes you're on the ground at each location.

Hopefully the SPOT X does sent altitude data while tracking. We should know very soon.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old May 13th 18, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Actually Paul, that is incorrect. Spot, starting with Gen 3 sends altitude data -- just not on their own web site. The altitude isn't displayed on the user's Spot shared web page, but is included in the JSON feeds used by glideport.aero and the SSA tracker, as well as on my own home brewed tools. I can assure you that it really is the accurate glider altitude, not the terrain elevation. I have flown with it and used it for almost a year now.

Some Gen 3 users may need to update their firmware to get it to work. And I have noticed that some older Gen 3 units seem to have occasional dropouts on the altitude data. Newer ones seem more reliable.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"
Old May 14th 18, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Lynn,

That is great news. I had not heard that.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
________________________

Old May 14th 18, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

As a former mountain guide, I consider the compass somewhat useless, unless you are orienteering or in the "farmland in Minnesota" or any of the other flat, feature challenged, terrain, TX, OK, KS...

Out west, unless you know of a goal, distance and direction, Stay put and press SOS button. If you feel the need to hike out, follow drainage or the road that follows drainage. I couldn't care less if drainage goes north, south, east, or west. Having said the above I do fly with a compass on my paracord bracelet, and on the whistle in my smack pack.

I agree the map is a very handy feature, much better than a compass.

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 5:00:09 AM UTC-7, Paul Remde wrote:

...The unit can post to social media sites like Facebook, and it has a built-in digital compass.

I still like the color maps on my Garmin inReach Explorer+ for emergency "hike out" situations. But I only need that when I fly in remote areas in the Western USA. I don't need it when flying over farmland in Minnesota.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old May 14th 18, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Our Gen 3 spots send altitude in the tracking. It is also available to see on the Spot web site.