A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Wanting to start a new glider club

Old January 11th 19, 06:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Whitehead
external usenet poster

Default Wanting to start a new glider club

I started a Gliding club, Edensoaring in Cumbria, UK. That was 2007. They still use 'Skyrope' supplied by Skylaunch on their winch. I think it is three stranded high density polyethylene or polypropylene, 10 or 12 mm, but worth asking Mike Groves at Skylaunch. I have my own) (SKY)rope for expedition auto=towing (UKMSG) . Excellent value at approximately 450 dollars for 1000m (3300ft). In club use it does 1000 launches - ON GRASS - before replacement. Easy to splice.
Old January 11th 19, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

Virtually any rope that will do 1000 launches can be amortized at a reasonable per launch rate. Perhaps even at 500 launches. As with any start up, it's the initial capital costs that bite or are intimidating. Some strategies work well in the UK, other strategies work well in the US.

The first step is organizing. That has some upfront costs, but those can be recaptured quite quickly. There are a number of business models, but John has been advised to follow the examples of Hamilton Soaring Club, Hood River Soaring, and Prescott Area Soaring, all 501(c)(3). The stated goal of Mission Mountain group begs getting the 501(c)(3) determination.

There aren't any real shortcuts, but there are opportunities. There's an EAA chapter 11 miles away and other about 58 miles away. Short distances in that neck of the woods. There are several Rotary clubs within a reasonable radius. The local Boys and Girls Club shows interest, but that, like other youth organizations are generally useful only as conduits for youth who become engaged.

Ropes have trade offs, but this location has a paved runway with runway like, so there are really only a couple of ground launch methods that are workable.

But it's winter, time to muse, seek answers, and plan.

Frank Whiteley
Old January 11th 19, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB
external usenet poster

Can’t remember off top of my head. It was a lot of years ago. I will ask other members and find out. I will get you the source for the Chinese dyneema as well.
Old January 12th 19, 06:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster
external usenet poster

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 3:08:29 PM UTC-7, WB wrote:
Can’t remember off top of my head. It was a lot of years ago. I will ask other members and find out. I will get you the source for the Chinese dyneema as well.

Thanks. That would be appreciated.