Air America breaking news: "USA to fingerprint ALL visitors !!!"

Old April 4th 04, 03:18 AM
Jim Yanik

"tadaa" wrote in :

Wouldn't it just be easier if we were given a barcode when we were
born?

We were,it's called DNA.

Or they could tattoo a ID number on your forearm.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Old April 4th 04, 03:19 AM
Chad Irby

In article ,
James Robinson wrote:

"Big Brother" is not restricted to totalitarian regimes. Again, being a
democracy, does it make it better that they take photos and fingerprints
from everybody?

But I don't see you complaining about the *real* Big Brother problem of
all of the security cameras in England...

Good idea. Let's all pass out assault weapons so the terrorists can get
hold of them more easily. And don't register them, so you can't find
them.

Another fool who thinks that outlawing and/or registering firearms will
keep criminals and terrorists from getting them...

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old April 4th 04, 03:21 AM
Chad Irby

In article ,
James Robinson wrote:

Chad Irby wrote:

"patLB" wrote:

On the other hand, you could always visit Spain, and relax on their
nice, safe, high-speed trains. Or the ones in France.

Still waiting for the high speed trains of USA...

The distances are too long. Air travel is cheaper for that sort of
range,

What gave you that idea. High speed trains are effective in the range
of 200 to 500 miles. There are lots of large cities within that
distance. Just draw a circle around Chicago or Washington, and see how
many cities are enclosed. For that distance, trains have a lower
operating cost and aircraft. Don't just think of transcontinental
service, where aircraft have the advantage.

But for the 200 to 500 mile range, people over here have *cars*, which
gives them much more flexibility. And the continental US is 3000 miles
across.

Any moron with a chunk of steel can knock a train off the tracks.

... and as we've found out, trains are far too prone to sabotage.

The terrorists just picked trains for their latest attack. Trains are
no more at risk than any other place where people congregate.

But for transportation, they're insanely easier to target.

The next attack might be in the lineup for tickets for Disney World,
at a shopping center during Christmas shopping, on a ferry boat, and
so on.

Small areas, compared to even *one* short-distance train track.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old April 4th 04, 04:18 AM
Ken Pisichko

YUP! But remember that the Canadian border control system works too. Our laws are
different that USA border control laws, but we do keep terrorists out - convicted
ones that is. We also adhere to the premise that folks are innocent until proven
quilty - except for thoe where there is suspicion. This past week there was a SWAT
team raid on a home in our national capital region (Ottawa) and a Canadian citizen
was arrested and is held in detention with charges against him. Something to do
with those arrested in the UK on terrorism and bomb making charges.

No border is immune, but to think that Canada is a pipeline for terrorist entry
into the USA is baloney.! Besides, the US border control types are pretty
vigilant too, and I have thanked them for the questioning of me and my family when
we enter the USA.

The problem, as I see it, is if someone comes in with several counterfeit
passports..... and then enters the USA from Canada with a Canadian passport. No
fingerprinting would flag the person entering the USA as a terrorist - unless the
fingerprints were in some USA accessable data base.

The USA requirement for my fingerprints will not be of any value to the licensing
agency requiring them because I have absolutely NO history in the USA. I do in
Canada, but my history is clean - it is there in the database, but clean. The US
agency does NOT access the Canadian CPIC system or any other Canadian data base -
so what is the point of their exercise?

Hence, I wonder what is the point of the USA fingerprinting aliens entering the
USA? Perhaps it is to salve some troubled intellect(s).

Ken
Winnipeg, Canada

Phil Richards wrote:

So presumably the easiest way to get in to the US without these stupid
fingerprint and photograph checks is to say fly in to Canada and cross
over the border by road....

Old April 4th 04, 04:22 AM
Pan

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 17:55:36 GMT, Chad Irby wrote:

In article ,
AJC wrote:

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 13:57:38 GMT, Chad Irby wrote:

...and even with that, it's still going to be faster than most customs
checks in 99% of the countries in the world.

You don't get out very much do you?

I'm sure *you* don't, if you think US Customs and Immigration is bad,
compared to most places. Try any of the African nations, for example.
Or Russia.

Try Malaysia. They just took my customs declaration form, looked at my
passport, and waved me on through.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old April 4th 04, 04:25 AM
Mary Shafer

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 17:55:36 GMT, Chad Irby wrote:

I'm sure *you* don't, if you think US Customs and Immigration is bad,
compared to most places. Try any of the African nations, for example.
Or Russia.

I've breezed in and out of over a dozen African nations and never had
my photo or my fingerprints taken. Ken didn't have either done when
he visited the fUSSR, either. I've also been to the PRC and military
dictatorships, as well as monarchies. We've never seen any of this
going on.

Have you ever been outside the US? If so, how many African nations
have you visited? Russia? PRC? Military dictatorships?

Mary

Old April 4th 04, 04:30 AM
Bjørnar Bolsøy

Chad Irby wrote in
om:
In article ,
James Robinson wrote:
Chad Irby wrote:
"patLB" wrote:

On the other hand, you could always visit Spain, and
relax on their nice, safe, high-speed trains. Or the
ones in France.

Still waiting for the high speed trains of USA...

The distances are too long. Air travel is cheaper for that
sort of range,

What gave you that idea. High speed trains are effective in
the range of 200 to 500 miles. There are lots of large cities
within that distance. Just draw a circle around Chicago or
Washington, and see how many cities are enclosed. For that
distance, trains have a lower operating cost and aircraft.
Don't just think of transcontinental service, where aircraft
have the advantage.

But for the 200 to 500 mile range, people over here have *cars*,
which gives them much more flexibility.

Not necessarily. Cars have to be parked somewhere, which
can be very expensive and just finding a place to park
can be a nightmare in a larger city. Let alone a safe place
for your car.

Put that on top of a slow and uncomfortable ride, relative
to a train, and that you are dependent on having a driver
for it as well. And it's easy to get some work done on a
train -- you can't work on your laptop driving a car.

Besides you also need to find your way in and out of a city,
which is often not desirable, and pray you don't get clogged
up in traffic. That will make the trip even slower.

For short to medium haul, city to city, there is nothing
that can beat the modern highspeed train. At least provided
it's well integrated into the overall public transportation
system. Then interrailing becomes a joy.

Any moron with a chunk of steel can knock a train off the
tracks.

... and as we've found out, trains are far too prone to
sabotage.

The terrorists just picked trains for their latest attack.
Trains are no more at risk than any other place where people
congregate.

But for transportation, they're insanely easier to target.

I think trains are still the safest means of transportation.
Besides it's more environmentally safe than anything.

Regards...
Old April 4th 04, 04:31 AM
Quantum Foam Guy

"patLB" wrote in message

On the other hand, you could always visit Spain, and relax on their
nice, safe, high-speed trains. Or the ones in France.

Still waiting for the high speed trains of USA...

Even a high-speed train would take 2 days to travel from New York to LA, and
cost the traveler more. Not likely to happen. On some corridors in the US it
makes sense, and they've been analyzing it.

Old April 4th 04, 04:36 AM
Pan

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 00:51:27 +0200, "Oelewapper"
wrote:

Why would the county in question need hand and foot prints for a birth
certificate ???

The U.S. has done this for ages, presumably for identification.

The hospital's doctors' signature of the birth file should
suffice, shouldn't it ?

I don't know.

[snip]
I have always loved New York City, I really did and I guess I still do in
lots of ways (used to jetset overthere to get my hair cut when I was living
in Canada and even from Europe, no kiddin'). I've only been 'back' once,
soon after 9/11 - saw the rumble, and the smoke, and the hysteric onlookers;
spoke to the people; even had a quick look at what could have been some of
the documents of WTC7... Didn't like the hysteric atmosphere at all -
wondering who was to blame most, the attackers or the government and the way
it responded to the situation.

Things are much more relaxed now.

Guess I simply didn't and still don't like
the present US-regime, and what it stands for,

Me neither.

as it has demonstrated some
disgusting militarist, undemocratic, cleptocratic, zionist,

[snip]

You lost me here, and I stopped reading. If you consider "Zionist" a
slur, why did you ever visit the city with the largest Jewish
population in the world? Go to countries like Saudi Arabia that are
officially Judenrein [Nazi term for "rid of Jews"] and **** off!

Old April 4th 04, 04:37 AM
Quantum Foam Guy

JF Mezei wrote in message

Alan Pollock wrote:
Seriously, driver's licenses are used as ID in the US.

You know, I am amazed at the transformation of the USA. In the past, the

mere
mention of a national identity card would make

There is no national identity card in the US, JF. Nor is this discussion
about national identity cards. I realize that you spend most of your time
trolling newsgroups, but that doesn't excuse your ignorance.