Post-Annual Flight

Old February 24th 08, 06:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Default Post-Annual Flight

That would be Fairmont Minnesota? Spent a very pleasant night there on the
way to Oshkosh a few years ago.

I'll bet you are freezing the balls off the brass monkey right now...it is
just right at freezing and spitting snow in Grass Valley.

Jim

I do plan to visit Jay's establishment just as
soon as I can after taking delivery; he's a pleasant hour and a half
flight
or so from Fairmont.

Old February 24th 08, 11:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-02-24, RST Engineering wrote:
That would be Fairmont Minnesota? Spent a very pleasant night there on the
way to Oshkosh a few years ago.

Yes, it would. If you do it again, let me know, and I'll buy your dinner and
give you a tour of D-Star. (I've got a full stack here, on the gateway
network.)

I assume FRM-OSH isn't but a couple of hours in the air; I haven't looked at
that, but I have looked at FRM-RRL (Merrill, WI, where my roommate's family
lives). That's a nice, easy flight, and a lot better than 6 hours in a car.

I'll bet you are freezing the balls off the brass monkey right now...it is
just right at freezing and spitting snow in Grass Valley.

The outdoor thermometer says it's 23 F out there at the moment. It was below
zero every night and more than a few of the days lsat week, though.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)
Old February 24th 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

RST Engineering wrote:
That would be Fairmont Minnesota? Spent a very pleasant night there on the
way to Oshkosh a few years ago.

I'll bet you are freezing the balls off the brass monkey right now...it is
just right at freezing and spitting snow in Grass Valley.

He probably is. I was in Fargo on business last week and they welcomed
me by setting a new record low. It was -31 or -34 depending on which
station you believed with a wind chill around -50. Man, that was cold
even for a Pennsylvanian!

Matt
Old February 24th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

He probably is. I was in Fargo on business last week and they welcomed me
by setting a new record low. It was -31 or -34 depending on which station
you believed with a wind chill around -50. Man, that was cold even for a
Pennsylvanian!

It's been a brutal winter. We are having our first "nice" weekend in
months, meaning that it's neither snowing nor below zero.

After a winter like this, we set the "nice" bar pretty low...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 24th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

Ray Andraka wrote:

It should tell you if the tank is empty. The fuel gauge is required to
read correctly for an empty tank.

Actually, the FAR makes no statement of accuracy for fuel gauges.
The misunderstanding that people interpret as the "must be correct
at empty" is merely a statement that the Empty mark is supposed
to be the end of USABLE fuel rather than bone dry.
Old February 25th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

William Hung wrote:
On Feb 23, 12:01 am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
Couldn't you have done the same and saved some $? I think the shoulder
harnesses were $125 each for the reweb and repairs.

Yep. But the OEM reels are a bad design, with sharp gears that shred the
edges of the belt. The new version supposedly doesn't do that.

The new design also has a more stout connection to the seat belts (which
come along with the deal). Sadly, I just put all new seat belts in a
couple of years ago, so I'll have two nearly new front seat belts on Ebay
shortly...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

I don't know why seatbelts (new replacements) for cars aren't accepted
by the FAA as acceptable replaements in small 2-4 seat aircrafts. One
would think that the DOT testing of thoses belts ar just as tough as
the FAA's. Lambourghinis and Ferraris could reach 175mph before they
were fitted with airbags.

Wil

Inertia reel seat belts in cars are designed to lock only when
braking/stopping do to impact. Airplanes need support in multiple axis.
Old February 25th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

Inertia reel seat belts in cars are designed to lock only when
braking/stopping do to impact. Airplanes need support in multiple axis.

What? I can get an inertia reel seatbelt for my Bo that is the same as
an auto seatbelt. And so cna many others.

http://www.alpha-aviation.com/page11.html

Old February 25th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Newps wrote:

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

Inertia reel seat belts in cars are designed to lock only when
braking/stopping do to impact. Airplanes need support in multiple axis.

What? I can get an inertia reel seatbelt for my Bo that is the same as
an auto seatbelt. And so cna many others.

http://www.alpha-aviation.com/page11.html

I didn't say you couldn't get an inertia reel seatbelt for you plane I
said it is different than the ones in cars. Those for a plane lock in
multiple axis of acceleration most of the ones in cars don't. Well let
me rephrase that last part, didn't as of the last time I messed with one.
Old February 25th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Gig 601XL Builder wrote in news:13s5uvtaue9i94
@news.supernews.com:

Newps wrote:

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

Inertia reel seat belts in cars are designed to lock only when
braking/stopping do to impact. Airplanes need support in multiple axis.

What? I can get an inertia reel seatbelt for my Bo that is the same as
an auto seatbelt. And so cna many others.

http://www.alpha-aviation.com/page11.html

I didn't say you couldn't get an inertia reel seatbelt for you plane I
said it is different than the ones in cars. Those for a plane lock in
multiple axis of acceleration most of the ones in cars don't. Well let
me rephrase that last part, didn't as of the last time I messed with one.

I had one I took apart ~( can't remember why) and it locked no matter what
the direction of acceleration. It had a small ball bearing in a dished area
which would roll out and lock the belt. Datsun, I think.

Bertie
Old February 25th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

Inertia reel seat belts in cars are designed to lock only when
braking/stopping do to impact. Airplanes need support in multiple axis.

Check into that. I don't think it's true.

Cars roll over!

Post Annual Report Jack Allison Owning 7 July 7th 07 04:37 AM
Annual Xmas Post - santa_chopper.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman Aviation Photos 0 December 21st 06 02:55 AM
Annual Xmas Post - RyanAirSanta.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman Aviation Photos 0 December 21st 06 02:55 AM
Annual Xmas Post - Flight Line Santa.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman Aviation Photos 0 December 21st 06 02:54 AM
Annual Xmas Post - FinnAirSanta.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman Aviation Photos 0 December 21st 06 02:54 AM