GPS altitude again is close to actual

Old November 20th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default GPS altitude again is close to actual

"Ron Lee" wrote

The crux of the matter is that WAAS is not part of GPS. How many
pilots use WAAS in an IFR or even VFR manner?

What the hell was that last sentence trying to get at? I'm clueless, as are
you.

Using your logic and a Garmin 496 you would say that XM weather and
radio is part of GPS because they are integrated into a GPS receiver.

You are either being silly, or stupid.

Does the WAAS make the GPS position more accurate? Yes. Part of GPS.

Does XM radio or XM weather make the GPS position more accurate? No. Not a part
of GPS.

See? Easy.

Whatever you do, stop arguing this silly point. We get it. You do not think
that WAAS is a part of GPS.

OK, we get it. Let it die.

Old November 20th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Mxsmanic wrote:

gpsman writes:

Following that logic my water softener is not part of my water system.

That's how your water utility looks at it.

It is as irrelavant what the water company thinks about my water system
as what you think about GPS.
Old November 20th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

WAAS is certainly part of GPS, it is included in the
original goals and if you check GPS pages on the USCG, FAA
or USN and Air Force sites you will see that these accuracy
improving features are part of GPS. If it is included, it
functions automatically.

"Ron Lee" wrote in message
| "Neil Gould" wrote:
|
| Recently, Mxsmanic posted:
|
| gpsman writes:
|
| Following that logic my water softener is not part of
my water
| system.
|
| That's how your water utility looks at it.
|
| And, there you have the crux of this matter. As pilots,
we are identical
| to the end user of the water system, not the utility
company. If you want
| to discuss WAAS independent of GPS, go to some GPS or
WAAS group and
| discuss your concepts to your heart's content.
|
| Neil
|
| The crux of the matter is that WAAS is not part of GPS.
How many
| pilots use WAAS in an IFR or even VFR manner? Not many I
suspect.

Old November 20th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee

"Morgans" wrote:

"Ron Lee" wrote

The crux of the matter is that WAAS is not part of GPS. How many
pilots use WAAS in an IFR or even VFR manner?

What the hell was that last sentence trying to get at? I'm clueless, as are
you.

Wow. Resort to name calling. I suspect that I am far more informed
about GPS that the majority of the folks here.

Using your logic and a Garmin 496 you would say that XM weather and
radio is part of GPS because they are integrated into a GPS receiver.

You are either being silly, or stupid.

Nope. Using similar logic as others here. More name calling. So
sad.

Does the WAAS make the GPS position more accurate? Yes. Part of GPS.

Your statement does not make WAAS part of GPS.

Does XM radio or XM weather make the GPS position more accurate? No. Not a part
of GPS.

See? Easy.

Whatever you do, stop arguing this silly point. We get it. You do not think
that WAAS is a part of GPS.

You don't seem to get it. Accept the truth.

Ron Lee
Old November 20th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

WAAS is certainly part of GPS, it is included in the
original goals and if you check GPS pages on the USCG, FAA
or USN and Air Force sites you will see that these accuracy
improving features are part of GPS. If it is included, it
functions automatically.

I doubt that WAAS was considered when I was supporting GPS satellites
launches many years ago. That WAAS complements GPS automatically

Old November 20th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

"Jim Macklin" writes:

WAAS is certainly part of GPS ...

No, it's a separate system that depends on GPS.

... it is included in the original goals ...

Really? I don't recall reading about it in the specifications. GPS
greatly predates WAAS and DGPS.

Old November 20th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Ron Lee writes:

I doubt that WAAS was considered when I was supporting GPS satellites
launches many years ago. That WAAS complements GPS automatically
does not make WAAS part of GPS.

Development on WAAS began around 1995. GPS dates from the late 1970s.

Old November 20th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gpsman

Ron Lee wrote:
"Jim Macklin" wrote:

WAAS is certainly part of GPS, it is included in the
original goals and if you check GPS pages on the USCG, FAA
or USN and Air Force sites you will see that these accuracy
improving features are part of GPS. If it is included, it
functions automatically.

I doubt that WAAS was considered when I was supporting GPS satellites
launches many years ago. That WAAS complements GPS automatically
does not make WAAS part of GPS.

"What we've got here is failure to communicate."

Maybe... this will help:

Main Entry: 1aug·ment
Pronunciation: og-'ment
Function: verb

1 : to make greater, more numerous, larger, or more intense the impact
of the report was augmented by its timing
2 : to add an augment to
3 : SUPPLEMENT augmented her scholarship by working nights
intransitive verb : to become augmented

_** synonym see INCREASE **_
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/augment
-----

- gpsman

Old November 20th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug[_1_]

Is the OBS button, I mean the actual plastic button, a part of GPS? I
mean I REALLY need to know the answer to this question. Won't somebody
tell me PLEASE!!!

It's SOOOOooooo important....

Old November 20th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Dave Stadt writes:

Your simulator affords you the opportunity to play a game........nothing
more, nothing less.

If that were true, it wouldn't be called a simulator.

Microsoft calls it a toy.