Bullying desguised (badly) as precaution

Old October 27th 05, 03:33 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Bullying desguised (badly) as precaution (long reply to Jay H.)

I envy you Jim! The guy who owns the house next door has trash living
there. Usually requires a monthly visit by the Sheriff's Dept. Love where I
live and loathe my trashy neighbors!

While not quite that bad, I'm in a similar situation. We love our home, it
has everything in it we want (or need), it's appreciating nicely -- but
we're planning on moving next year, when my daughter graduates from the
(excellent) neighborhood grade school.

It's nothing terrible, but we sure won't miss the lady across the street who
lets her yippy dogs bark at 6:30 AM every morning. And it won't be hard to
forget my idiot neighbors who fill their garages with junk so that they must
park their $30K SUVs on the street (making our road effectively one-lane,
especially in the winter when the plows can't get around them).

Probably gonna buy an old farm house outside of town, with 20 acres or so
around it. Maybe put in a grass strip...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 27th 05, 03:39 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Bullying desguised (badly) as precaution (long reply to Jay

In closing, getting your pilot's certificate will be unlike anything
you've
ever accomplished before -- I urge you to do it! That certificate, for

me,
is far more significant and meaningful than my high school diploma, my
college degree, or any award or title I've won, before or since.

How does it compare to the title of Husband? (just on the off chance that
Mary is looking in g )

Well, it's on a different plane of existence (oooo, sorry!), but if we're
gonna go down *that* road...

I think the title of "Dad" is best of all!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 27th 05, 04:23 PM
Jim Burns

I think the title of "Dad" is best of all!

Took the words right out of my mouth Jay!!

There are two titles, privileges, honors, and responsibilities that we will
carry to our graves, that of pilot, and that of father.

Jim

Old October 27th 05, 04:27 PM
W P Dixon

My own strip that is my dream! Well just as soon as my rich Uncle gets
out of the poor house! Biggest thing here is finding enough land that is
flat enough. If I were still in Eastern KY I could just buy a abandoned
strip mine....they make my pretty mountains into treelesss flat runways! May
as well get some use out of the eyesores.

Patrick
student SP
aircraft structural mech

Old October 27th 05, 04:31 PM
George Patterson

W P Dixon wrote:

Biggest thing here is finding enough land
that is flat enough.

Hey, there's plenty of flat land there. It's all vertical, though. :-)

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old October 27th 05, 04:53 PM
Jim Burns

I'm in a bizarre double "but then" situation.

I've got room for a 1/2 mile grass strip, right in front of our house.
(This was a location requirement before building our house)

But then.... I would have to build a hanger... probably 40" x 50" with doors
on the back for garage stalls on each side of the tail.

But then ..... I would need another airplane, even though the Aztec would go
in and out of 1/2 mile grass, it really isn't a great idea with 8" prop
clearance and I wouldn't put that request before my other two partners.

As "bad" as this sounds, one of my partners already has this ideal situation
taken care of... he flys his C170 out of a grass strip right in front of his
house. Needless to say, he flys about 5 times as much as I do.

Jim

Old October 27th 05, 04:57 PM
W P Dixon

Now Now Jim,
I am sure we all wish we had the problem of how big to build our hangar!
Remember , the bigger ..the more toys it holds!!!! Just think of all
the fun stuff you get to buy to put in it. New rollaways.....more
tools....alittle project plane so you have something to really tinker on. Oh
and did I mention MORE TOOLS!!!!

Patrick
student SP
aircraft structural mech

Old October 27th 05, 05:26 PM
Dave Stadt

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

Possibility of a fly-in B&B?

Old October 27th 05, 10:11 PM
Jim Burns

I'd have to do some of that also, but at least it's sand land. We've got
some pretty big front end loaders, dump trucks, a motor grader and a
scraper, but no dozer. It may take me awhile, but it would be as much fun
as being a little kid in a sand box!!
Jim

"Morgans" wrote in message

"George Patterson" wrote

Hey, there's plenty of flat land there. It's all vertical, though. :-)

I have often thought about getting a chunk of land around here (Western

NC)
and getting a big ol' dozer. I could then spend a good chunk of spare

time
chopping off two hills and filling in the middle, to make a runway.

That is one of the only ways to have a runway around here, unless you pay

fortune for flat land, OR get it in the middle of large populations, OR on

flood plain, where the next worse thing to flooding is frequent morning or
evening ground fog.

It helps that I like earth moving equipment! ;-)
--
Jim in NC