Do we need the SR-71?

Old May 12th 04, 08:12 PM
Dima Volodin

Bill Denton wrote:

I'm sure most of you remember that wonderful collection of Communist
ingenuity and tin cans known as the "Yugo" automobile?

But since it was never imported into the US, I doubt if many of you know
they also produced a mini-van model. It was called the "Y'all-go"!

The word "Yugo" is (not quite directly) derived from the common Slavic
root for "south". Not that it's got anything to do with anything. :-)

Dima
Old May 12th 04, 08:17 PM
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

"Thomas J. Paladino Jr." wrote:

It's a "hyper-ruralism," an error caused by trying too hard to sound
country, the opposite of another pet peeve of mine, the "he and I"
hyperurbanism, as in "Jane took John and I to dinner."
--

I use the 'he and I' all the time. Never thought *that* would be

anyone's
pet peeve!

What other way is there to say it? I honestly can't imagine speaking any
other way.

The proper usage in the example provided is "Jane took John and me to

dinner." If
you're unsure, mentally remove the other person from the sentence. You

would never
say "Jane took I to dinner". "He and I" would be correct usage as the

subject of a
sentence.

The instructors at Pierce would surely disagree with you; I was taught that
it was supremely poor grammar to use 'me' in that way. "Only philllistenes
speak in such a manner" I can clearly remember my third grade teacher
explaining when a student used poor grammar.

"Jane took John and I to dinner." or "Jane took John and myself to dinner."
are the two ways we specifically learned that sentence. Any insertion of
'me' into those sentences would have earned us a scolding.

Old May 12th 04, 08:35 PM
Journeyman

In article , Thomas J. Paladino Jr. wrote:

The proper usage in the example provided is "Jane took John and me to

dinner." If
you're unsure, mentally remove the other person from the sentence. You

would never
say "Jane took I to dinner". "He and I" would be correct usage as the

subject of a
sentence.

The instructors at Pierce would surely disagree with you; I was taught that
it was supremely poor grammar to use 'me' in that way. "Only philllistenes
speak in such a manner" I can clearly remember my third grade teacher
explaining when a student used poor grammar.

"Jane took John and I to dinner." or "Jane took John and myself to dinner."
are the two ways we specifically learned that sentence. Any insertion of
'me' into those sentences would have earned us a scolding.

If true, said instructors are idiots. It's "Jane took John and me to
dinner", but "John and I went to dinner with Jane". The difference
between using "I" and "me" is the difference between the subject and
object of a sentence. It's the same error people have using "who" and
"whom" (who is doing what to whom).

This happens to be one of my pet peeves. People have been corrected
so often for saying "me and John", they just blindly say "John and I"
without understanding the underlying grammatical rule.

ObAviation: why is it, when I'm flying solo, I still tell controllers
"we're going to do something"?

Morris
Old May 12th 04, 08:35 PM
Gary Drescher

"Thomas J. Paladino Jr." wrote:

[...]

Either you're mis-remembering what your third grade teacher said, or you're
entitled to a tuition refund from Pierce. Are you sure the teacher wasn't
just objecting to sentences such as "John and me took Jane to dinner"? In
*that* sentence, "I" is correct, not "me". But people often overgeneralize
that correction; instead of learning to use "I" instead of "me" as a
subject, they end up using "I" instead of "me" even as an object.

See, for example, Strunk and White's _The Elements of Style_, Chapter 1,
Elementary Rules of Usage.

--Gary

Old May 12th 04, 09:14 PM

[...]

A quick rule of thumb, If you can remove the first part of the sentence,
and it still makes sense, you have the correct pronoun.

For example in the abve metioned sentence, "Jane took John and (I/me) to
dinner."

"Jane took I to dinner." or "Jane took me to dinner."

So in the sentence, the proper word is 'me', "Jane took John and me to
dinner."

or

"Jane and (I/me) went to dinner."

"I went to dinner." or "Me went to dinner."

--
Mike Flyin'8
Old May 12th 04, 09:22 PM
Gary Drescher

wrote in message
[...]

Yup. I mentioned that trick in a post a several hours ago that has yet to
show up on the servers, even though my later posts have appeared. Oh well,
it'll come through eventually.

--Gary

--
Mike Flyin'8

Old May 12th 04, 09:25 PM
alexy

"Thomas J. Paladino Jr." wrote:

The instructors at Pierce would surely disagree with you; I was taught that
it was supremely poor grammar to use 'me' in that way. "Only philllistenes
speak in such a manner" I can clearly remember my third grade teacher
explaining when a student used poor grammar.

"Jane took John and I to dinner." or "Jane took John and myself to dinner."
are the two ways we specifically learned that sentence. Any insertion of
'me' into those sentences would have earned us a scolding.

Wow! You should really see if you could get a partial refund of
tuition due to this!

"I" is subjective, "me" is objective, and "myself" is reflexive.
And the rules don't change for singular versus plural.

I went to dinner, or Bob and I went to dinner
Jane took me to dinner, or Jane took Bob and me to dinner
I drove myself to the restaurant or I drove Bob and myself to the
restaurant.

I am the only one who can take myself to dinner, just as you are the
only one who can take yourself, she is the only one who can take
herself, etc.
--
Alex
Old May 12th 04, 09:27 PM
alexy

Journeyman wrote:

ObAviation: why is it, when I'm flying solo, I still tell controllers
"we're going to do something"?

The plane is going to be doing it with you, right? g

--
Alex
Old May 12th 04, 09:28 PM
alexy

"Gary Drescher" wrote:

See, for example, Strunk and White's _The Elements of Style_, Chapter 1,
Elementary Rules of Usage.

The bible of English usage. How can so much info be in such a tiny
book?!
--
Alex
Old May 12th 04, 09:30 PM
Greg Copeland

On Mon, 10 May 2004 16:50:06 -0400, Ron Natalie wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:eNJnc.63251$kh4.3830904@attbi_s52...

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think the U-2 is actually being used for
recon anymore. High altitude research, yes, but I don't think they've sent
one over a hostile nation in many years.

You're incorrect on this one. The U-2 is being heavily used for recon.

Jonh T assures me that only TR-1s are being used. He even took me to task
to make sure I didn't forget it. So, which is it?