GA is priceless

Old December 31st 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Default GA is priceless

mile high club...even a simulated member ?
Ha! Yet another use for our "Kiwi" flight simulator in the hotel!

A "profit center", no doubt.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old December 31st 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

One really nice thing about Google Groups is that it hides email
addresses that are in the text of any message. Makes it impossible for
the Spambots to get them.

The spambots don't use Google Groups.

Old December 31st 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_2_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Ken Chaddock writes:

What, don't want to become a member of the mile high club...even a
simulated member ?

No, I don't. I'm interested in aviation, not sex.

I thought you were interested in simulation, not aviation.

Fifteen hours and counting......

Old December 31st 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Real spambots don't harvest addresses using Google Groups. G

True enough. The point being that if ALL newsreader software truncated
in-line email addresses like Google Groups, perhaps the spammers would
start to wither...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 31st 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

At the other end of the scale is general aviation. Aviation is a
horrendously complex form of transportation--the most complex around,

I find this quite funny. You have fallen for it, hook, line and
sinker.

The "complexity" of GA is a myth that has been foisted upon the general
public by the "big-watch" pilots who simply LOVE to flaunt how cool
they are under pressure. John Wayne movies in the '50s and '60s cast
the mold for this pilot stereotype (which was effectively skewered in
the "Airplane" movies, BTW), and pilots have done little to counter
this stereotype ever since.

It's also, BTW, one of the major reasons GA is floundering. Too many
people think they're not "good enough" to be a pilot.

Why? Quite frankly, too many of us love to portray the steely-eyed
God-pilot, laughing in the face of death and pressing on to our final
destination at all costs -- it makes picking up chicks easier. In
fact, however, the reality of GA flying couldn't be farther from the
truth.

An illustration: On our last flight, we flew from Iowa City, IA to
Racine, WI, for Christmas. (This would be like frying from France to
Germany, to put that into perspective for you.)

This involved:

1. Pre-flighting the plane (a walk around, with oil and fuel checks)
3. Starting the plane
4. Programming two GPS's
5. Taking off, and turning to course.
6. Climbing to altitude
7. Following the course (as if we need it -- I've done this flight a
hundred times) to Racine.
8. Land.

Compare this to the complexity of DRIVING to Racine, and you'll see
that flying there is by FAR easier. No traffic. No toll booths. No
maniac cab drivers. No complicated routing around Chicago. It was
literally as easy as falling off a log.

I'll give you this: The TRAINING to become a pilot is difficult -- and
commercial piloting is, of course, a WHOLE different kettle of fish.
They must fly in all weather, into difficult airports -- whereas I get
to choose the times, places and weather in which I fly.

But we're talking GA flying, not commercial. Once you've become a GA
pilot and put a few hours under your belt, cross-country GA flying is
far easier than driving, IMHO.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 31st 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze

On 31 Dec 2006 06:29:26 -0800, Jay Honeck wrote:

Real spambots don't harvest addresses using Google Groups. G

True enough. The point being that if ALL newsreader software truncated
in-line email addresses like Google Groups,

google groups is only a (free) nntp provider with a web frontend.

perhaps the spammers would
start to wither...

ha! and what keeps a spammer off from setting up his own nntp server?

#m
--
I am not a terrorist. http://www.casualdisobedience.com/
Old December 31st 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Scott Post

In article . com,
Jay Honeck wrote:

But we're talking GA flying, not commercial. Once you've become a GA
pilot and put a few hours under your belt, cross-country GA flying is
far easier than driving, IMHO.

Until your kids have to pee and it's a holiday so you can't raise a
single UNICOM along your route. I'll always be indebted to the Mooney
who heard our plea and taxied back to unlock the FBO. :-)

--
Scott Post
Old December 31st 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Hmm? A new suite in the offing?

Jay Honeck wrote:

What, don't want to become a member of the mile high club...even a
simulated member ?

Ha! Yet another use for our "Kiwi" flight simulator in the hotel!

:-)

Old December 31st 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Scott Post" wrote in message ...
: In article . com,
: Jay Honeck wrote:
:
: But we're talking GA flying, not commercial. Once you've become a GA
: pilot and put a few hours under your belt, cross-country GA flying is
: far easier than driving, IMHO.
:
:
: Until your kids have to pee and it's a holiday so you can't raise a
: single UNICOM along your route. I'll always be indebted to the Mooney
: who heard our plea and taxied back to unlock the FBO. :-)
:
: --
: Scott Post

He heard our plea...
Our kid has to pee!!!!
so back to the FBO for thee....

;-)

Old December 31st 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Steve Foley writes:

I thought you were interested in simulation, not aviation.

They are variations on the same theme.

Dual glide slope, $95...priceless! Jack Allison Owning 20 October 22nd 06 03:45 AM
Priceless Tugs kojak Owning 0 August 9th 05 10:25 PM
"Priceless" in Afghanistan Pechs1 Naval Aviation 34 March 7th 04 06:27 AM
"Priceless" in Afghanistan BUFDRVR Military Aviation 15 February 28th 04 04:17 PM
Priceless in Afganistan breyfogle Military Aviation 18 February 24th 04 05:54 AM