Repercussions for people outside New Orleans

Old September 2nd 05, 08:02 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"john smith" wrote in message
. ..
Isn't it interesting that the media isn't telling us that the fuel at the
pumps and the oil at the refineries was purchased a year ago.

Mike Rapoport wrote:
Where do they keep it? Must be huge this 17,520,000,000 gallon tank.

Come on, Mike!
Help me out here... how do future contracts work?

I believe that October futures are what is being traded now. If I go buy
contracts for a million gallons of unleaded fuel I own the rights to gas
that is going to be delivered in October. If I buy it at say $2.69/Gal and I
can sell it at a later time up to the delivery date for a higher amount I
make money. If I choose not to sell the contract I'm going to be looking for
a real big gas tank come October.

Old September 2nd 05, 08:27 PM
sfb

Isn't it time to stop beating this dead horse? The guys who own and
operate refineries are reluctant to invest in new refining capacity.
Maybe the home would let you out so you could explain to them that they
know not of what they speak.

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
news
Agreed but what is the cost of that study compared to the
multi-billion dollar cost of the refinery? Less than 1%. My point
is not that there are no obstacles to constructing a new refinery but
rather that those obstacles are not the reason that new refineries
have not been built.

Mike
MU-2

Old September 2nd 05, 10:22 PM
Darrel Toepfer

john smith wrote:

Perhaps in the wake of all the lunacy going on in New Orleans, I still
underestimate the stupidity of the masses you are implying?

Words for today:

Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops
bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows
little sign of breaking down in the near future.

Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the
person who doesn't get it.

Karmageddon: It's like, when everybody is sending off all these
really bad vibes, right? And then, like, the Earth explodes and it's
like, a serious bummer.

Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when
they come at you rapidly.

Ignoranus: A person who's both stupid and an asshole!

Fight boredom:
http://www.humorhaus.com/hh757.htm
Old September 3rd 05, 12:54 AM
john smith

There is currently a shortage of gas. People are already nervous about it.
They here that the authorities are confiscating gas. They all run out and
buy gas and there is then no gas for those that need it. Or worse. They hear
your little story and then see a green truck at their local gas station and
think all the gas is being confiscated and start shooting at the nice men
that are also all dressed in green.
Never underestimate the stupidity of scared people.
Is that clear enough for you?

How does one make the leap from confiscating a private company's
reserves to public retail outlets?
Old September 3rd 05, 07:05 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

You really just don't get it do you john.

Old September 5th 05, 04:35 AM
Jay Honeck

HELLO!!! ARE YOU LISTENING JAY???

Where do you get this BS?

IT IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE TO BUILD NEW REFINERIES.

Hmmm. Zero refineries built in the 28 years since EPA regulations were
rolled out.

That would be, exactly, zero.

Sure, Mike, it's not impossible. But it will probably take a presidential
rescinding of the stupid EPA laws to get it done.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 5th 05, 04:41 AM
Jay Honeck

No.. New refineries have not been built because it is cheaper to increase
the capacity of existing ones. These retrofits are subject to all the
enviornmental regulation that a new refinery would be subjet to.

That's not true.

There are a million ways to expand any existing business -- refineries
included -- without tripping the government's "regulation Nazis."

Whatever the oil companies have done by way of expansion-in-place has been
terribly limited by the financial burden of overly-restrictive EPA rules --
to the ultimate detriment of everyone.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 5th 05, 04:45 AM
Jay Honeck

Yes and very true. We had the prefect opportunity five years ago when the
CAFE standards were scheduled for an increase but our brilliant new
president decided not of implement them. If he had, about 80% of the US
vehicle fleet would be getting a couple more MPG which, as it turns out,
would exactly match the reduced gasoline output from Katrina.

So, of course, we wouldn't now be seeing a 30% increase in the price at the
pump if only Bush had implemented stricter mileage rules in 2000?

I'm afraid you're dreaming, Mike. We'd only have had more expensive cars
then AND the same, higher gas prices today.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 5th 05, 04:49 AM
Jay Honeck

As long as a nuclear power plant has a containment dome, I'm all for
it. A coal fired power station puts more radiation into the air than
would ever be permissible for a nuclear plant.

I'm a long-term nuclear proponent, and have never heard that fact.

Can you site a source, please?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 5th 05, 04:24 PM
Doof

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
HELLO!!! ARE YOU LISTENING JAY???

Where do you get this BS?

IT IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE TO BUILD NEW REFINERIES.

Hmmm. Zero refineries built in the 28 years since EPA regulations were
rolled out.

That would be, exactly, zero.

Sure, Mike, it's not impossible. But it will probably take a
presidential rescinding of the stupid EPA laws to get it done.

The time may have finally arrived when spending mega$$billions to build a
new refinery may be economically feasible. Of course, that the EPA created
the scenario where the costs attained that level will likely be missed.

How much more does it cost (does it?) to ship gasoline (explosive) compared
to raw petroleum?