GPS altitude again is close to actual

Old November 20th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default GPS altitude again is close to actual

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Gig 601XL Builder writes:

Do you know of an aviation use of WAAS that isn't tied to GPS?

Absolutely. GPS can be used (and is used) for en-route navigation
without WAAS. It is more than precise enough for this purpose for
lateral navigation. Standard GPS can be used for any lateral
navigation except during take-off and landing, where it is not
reliable enough for safety as the sole means of navigation. Many
existing aviation GPS receivers do not include support for WAAS.

You act like you are answering my question but you are not. Please reread
the question.

Old November 20th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

You make mistakes and die. I make mistakes and learn. Simulation
...teaches humility.

Then please, please get back on your simulator.

Old November 20th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug[_1_]

I am SOOOooooo glad to know the ANSWER to my question. It will
undoubtably make me SUCH a better pilot. I can now SAFELY use the OBS
button without fear of the GPS satellites FALLING from the sky.
Mxsmanic, you are TRULY a genius and should WRITE A BOOK on GPS. It
would be so WONDERFUL....

Mxsmanic wrote:
Doug writes:

Is the OBS button, I mean the actual plastic button, a part of GPS?

No. GPS provides data useful for navigation. It doesn't actually
provide navigation functions themselves.

Old November 20th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gig 601XL Builder writes:

You act like you are answering my question but you are not. Please reread
the question.

En-route navigation is not tied to WAAS.

Old November 20th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Ron Lee posted:

"Neil Gould" wrote:

So, haven't you any idea about how we arrive at the notion that for
aviators WAAS is indeed "part of GPS", or is there some value to
your pedantry that we are missing? You have yet to answer my earlier
question: what piece of equipment in the cockpit involves WAAS but
not a GPS?

Because it is irrelevant. WAAS needs a GPS receiver to work but that
does not make WAAS a part of the DoD operated GPS system.

As I've mentioned several times now, while it may be a true statement, who
cares what the DoD operated GPS system was, and how does that change
anything with regards to our use of GPS today?

And I am a pilot who uses GPS for navigation and fully understand
which system does what.

Which only makes it more puzzling that you want to go on about this.

Neil

Old November 20th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee

"Neil Gould" wrote:

Recently, Ron Lee posted:

"Neil Gould" wrote:

So, haven't you any idea about how we arrive at the notion that for
aviators WAAS is indeed "part of GPS", or is there some value to
your pedantry that we are missing? You have yet to answer my earlier
question: what piece of equipment in the cockpit involves WAAS but
not a GPS?

Because it is irrelevant. WAAS needs a GPS receiver to work but that
does not make WAAS a part of the DoD operated GPS system.

As I've mentioned several times now, while it may be a true statement, who
cares what the DoD operated GPS system was, and how does that change
anything with regards to our use of GPS today?

And I am a pilot who uses GPS for navigation and fully understand
which system does what.

Which only makes it more puzzling that you want to go on about this.

Neil

Neil, what is amazing is that you won't differentiate between
different systems and use of those where they are almost
complementary. Actually, WAAS is basically useless without GPS. It
augments GPS much as EGNOS does in Europe yet do you call EGNOS part
of GPS?

Using the logic of several on this board, NDGPS and CORS are also part
of the DoD operated GPS.

Ron Lee

Old November 20th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Ron Lee posted:

"Neil Gould" wrote:

Recently, Ron Lee posted:

"Neil Gould" wrote:

[...]

I have no idea what you are referring to, here, but it sounds like an
inaccurate assessement of what I will or won't do. For one thing, we are
talking about one "system" with different components (more on that point
below).

Actually, WAAS is basically useless without GPS.

On this, we completely agree. And, it is what makes WAAS "a part of" GPS
systems.

It
augments GPS much as EGNOS does in Europe yet do you call EGNOS part
of GPS?

I probably would, if my GPS receiver integrated EGNOS data to enhance the
accuracy of the positional information.

By definition, a system can have a number of interrelated components, and
there is no requirement that those components be operated by (or the
responsibility of) a single entity. As a _user_ of such systems, one's
concerns are focused on the ability to properly integrate system
information into the primary task at hand. How would it help the primary
task to focus on components of a system that can not be isolated? The only
thing we can do as pilots is know whether the information we are getting
is useful, and what to do if it isn't. I'm comfortable with that.

I am far less concerned about who is responsible for operating and
maintaining the components of the GPS system than I am about who is
responsible for operating and maintaining my water supply, and I recognize
that in either case I am powerless to affect either of those components or
their managers. So, I focus my attention on using both systems in the best
way to get the results I need, and anything beyond that is a distraction
and a waste of time.

Neil