VFR position reporting

Old November 22nd 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Montblack

Default VFR position reporting

("Morgans" wrote)
That says nothing about his probable diagnosable psychoses of a few
different types, and thinking he is actually traveling by simulator.

I sometimes close my eyes and let music, or this time of year - all things
Autumn, "transport" me to an earlier time, and place.

For me, therefore --- transporters, and time travel, are both within my
grasp.

Montblack
Now if you'll excuse me, I have some time reserved with the Goddess of
Empathy :-)

Old November 22nd 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Kev

A Lieberma wrote:
I mean get real, VFR position reporting in a game of MSFS? [...]

Clearly you know very little about MSFS usage these days, at least when
enhanced with add-ons. If it really were just a game, you'd see it on
game consoles. But fortunately a lot of pilots helped work on it, and
it's a pretty good basic simulation. Add satellite photo imagery and
space shuttle radar terrain points, and it's even good for VFR nav
practice.

Many pilots use it for navigation and IFR practice. Perhaps you get to
fly in clouds all the time, but others get a bit rusty with their scan
and MSFS is good for that. (NOT seat of the pants flying.)

Other users, armchair fliers perhaps, often have others acting over the
net as air traffic controllers, etc. So yes, position reporting is
quite possible.

Kev

Old November 22nd 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Tony writes:

A book written about the event said his family didn't ever want to fly
with him

Somebody wrote a book about it?

Old November 22nd 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jay Beckman

"Jose" wrote in message
m...
but it does indicate that the CFIs he used did not teach the use of the
Long Island Sound reporting service.

I've never heard of it, and I fly here all the time. I know of such a
service in Hawaii, but not here. Tell me more.

Jose

IIRC, there is also a reporting service for crossing Lake Michigan.

Jay B

Old November 22nd 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

BT writes:

why does it need to be rigid?

It doesn't have to be, but in information theory, the more rigid the
encoding, the greater than transfer of information. That's why the
phrasing of ATC communications is so highly conventionalized. That's
why METARs and TAFs have a highly specialized format.

Old November 22nd 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Neil Gould writes:

So, if such situations were "highly unlikely" as you stated, there
wouldn't be much point in providing such a simulation, would there?

They are highly unlikely outside of heavy traffic areas, both in real
life and in simulation.

However, as a general rule, simulation provides for broader control of
circumstances than real life provides, precisely so that extreme and
improbable situations can be simulated for practice. A commercial
pilot may fly for his entire career without experience a failure of
all engines at the same time, but it's very easy to simulate, which
makes it possible for him to practice and be prepared for such a
situation should it ever actually arise. That's one of the great
advantages of simulation.

Old November 22nd 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dave Stadt

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Having a transponder squawking 1200 does very little toward
S&R.

Isn't that how they located JFK Jr's plane?

At the bottom of the ocean? I think not.

Old November 22nd 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Logajan

Mxsmanic wrote:
BT writes:

why does it need to be rigid?

It doesn't have to be, but in information theory, the more rigid the
encoding, the greater than transfer of information. That's why the
phrasing of ATC communications is so highly conventionalized. That's
why METARs and TAFs have a highly specialized format.

I believe the transmission of weather information by use of abbreviated
METAR codes originated in the days of 10 character-per-second Teletypes (or
possibly even earlier). The ASR 33 Teletype (the model I'm personally
familiar with) could only print uppercase characters. At that slow rate of
printing and usingg such a limited character set, brevity was an asset.

I first learned to program in 1973 using Teletypes as input and output
device. A nice picture of an ASR 33 teletype is he

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/ta...l/ch02s02.html
Old November 22nd 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberma

"Kev" wrote in news:1164170084.413504.14250
@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

A Lieberma wrote:
I mean get real, VFR position reporting in a game of MSFS? [...]

Clearly you know very little about MSFS usage these days, at least when
enhanced with add-ons. If it really were just a game, you'd see it on
game consoles.

If it looks like a game, talks like a game, I'd suspect it's a game even
by MSFS. http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulatorx/

Many pilots use it for navigation and IFR practice. Perhaps you get to
fly in clouds all the time, but others get a bit rusty with their scan
and MSFS is good for that. (NOT seat of the pants flying.)

Glad you added the last sentence..... All MSFS is good for is the scan
and IFR procedures. Doesn't replace the real deal IMC get the leans
feeling.

Quick Google will clearly show how I feel about sims and real flying, but
to save you looking it up, I see no problems with MSFS simulator as long
as it is used to compliment the real deal flying.

As stated in my prior post, it does not, will not, will never replace or
come close to simulating the physiology of flight, and that my friend is
what keeps us returning to the skies.

Other users, armchair fliers perhaps, often have others acting over the
net as air traffic controllers, etc. So yes, position reporting is
quite possible.

Quite possible, but based on Mx's postings, sure doesn't sound like he is
doing this. All he is doing is trolling these newsgroups. READ HIS

I only hope every pilot recognizes this and ignores his postings and
bring the noise level down.

Allen
Old November 22nd 06, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Robert Chambers

If you're on BID, call PVD approach and get flight following, you can
talk them on the ground (RCO)120.1 which is a clearance delivery freq
but if you tell them you're headed over to Long Island if they don't
give you a squawk then and there at least they will expect you when you
do call them. PVD approach are about the nicest and most accommodating
approach controllers in the northeast.

Kev wrote:
Robert Chambers wrote:

Nobody uses the long island reporting service. You ask for and get
flight following, it's much more real-time than the LIRS which the FSS
provides.

One note is that they don't always hear you when you take off from
Block Island. I left there one dark night to fly home via Montauk, and
the FSS didn't hear me until I was half-way across. If I did it
again, I'd circle to gain altitude before leaving the island and
crossing the water... for both radio and engine-glide range.

Kev