RIP Cessna...Skycatcher

Old November 30th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gatt

Default RIP Cessna...Skycatcher

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
news:ihatessppaamm-of Firefox.

Do you mean IE 7 looks like firefox?

It doesn't seem like firefox at all.

Well, if you think about it, "Mozilla" (Firefox) is a descendant of
Netscape, which except for Mosaic was the first real web browswer.

All other programs that are web browsers look like the original Consider
the backend coding, bookmarks, navigator buttons and particularly
"cookies.":

"Together with John Giannandrea, Montulli wrote the initial Netscape cookie
specification the same year. Version 0.9beta of Mosaic Netscape, released on
October 13, 1994[23][24], supported cookies. The first actual use of cookies
(out of the labs) was made for checking whether visitors to the Netscape Web
site had already visited the site. Montulli applied for a patent for the
cookie technology in 1995; it was granted in 1998. Support for cookies was
integrated in Internet Explorer in version 2, released in October 1995
[one year after Netscape's amazing new app, IE already had an
amazingly-similar technology, but they didn't develop the cookie
technology.]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie#History

In terms of how that relates to Mozilla, Mozilla was not only the name of
Netscape's official mascot, it was the name of the original Netscape
sourcecode. AOL bought Netscape and destroyed the mascot and Netscape. AOL
still sucks, IE still rips off other web browsers (Firefox's tab bar, for
example) and ol' Mozilla still leads the industry.

-c

Old November 30th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WJRFlyBoy

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:36:19 -0800 (PST), James Sleeman wrote:

Do you honestly think that CESSNA is going to stake thier name,
reputation, and conceivably risk the entire business by going with an
aircraft manufacturer who would produce shoddy unreliable or dangerous
aircraft?!

More so, do you honestly think that either Cessna OR your country's
respective aviation authorities are going to let obviously shoddy
unreliable or dangerous aircraft get anywhere near the hands of Joe
Bloggs the pilot?!

Please, at least show some common sense here.

Cessna have obviously done thier homework, they have weighed the pros
and cons, and at the end of the day, the most effective solution
presented itself.

The anti-Chinese backlash here isn't surprising, it's probably more
anti-anythingoverseas and that's understandable. But it is the ebb-flow of
international economics and the USA certainly has had its share of that
upside in the past.

No, Cessna damn well knows what they are doing and even if it is a
calculated risk, hey can survive it but they might less well survive their
competition beating them to this Chinese punch.
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
Old November 30th 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WJRFlyBoy

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 06:39:06 +0100, Mxsmanic wrote:

Yes. The quest for short-term profits makes companies do strange things.

The quest to meet quarterlies, dividends, etc make corporations do exactly
what they have to. Nothing strange about that.
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
Old November 30th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gatt

Mxsmanic wrote in

They stole proprietary code ...

Ever heard of NCSA Mosaic?

I worked in the same building as Marc Andreeson. At Netscape. Ever heard
of him?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:M...laque_ncsa.jpg

Are you suggesting he stole his own code? Do you have any idea WTF you're
talking about?

... and used massive personnel resources to get it to market before
the smaller company.

No, they just wrote a better browser.

No, you really don't know what you're talking about. I had friends working
at Microsoft while I was working at Netscape.

Netscape was so busy patting itself on the back that it didn't notice,
and it never even tried to catch up.

To reiterate, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, and
once again you're talking to somebody who does.

-c

Old November 30th 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WJRFlyBoy

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 13:18:26 -0800, Gatt wrote:

Cessna have obviously done thier homework, they have weighed the pros
and cons, and at the end of the day, the most effective solution
presented itself.

The most effective solution being the use of slave labor and not having to
comply with any environmental laws? No wonder things are cheaper when
manufactured in China!

Exactly. If you just: don't pay your employees anything; lie about using,
say, toxic paint; pirate, copy or steal other people's technology and; kill
anybody who speaks out in dissent, you can save a lot of money.

Money, at the end of the day, is all that matters to most people.

-c

All true. All could be said of the USA a century ago.
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
Old November 30th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote in message

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
.. .
Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Matt W. Barrow writes:

Maybe you could verify something for me: I've heard for some time
that, though MS is quick to prosecute piracy and reverse engineering
MS stuff, they expend copious amounts of money reverse engineering
competitors products.

True or trash?

False. They are also extremely careful about avoiding piracy of
software themselves.

Idiot
Bertie

Jeez. Like he would know but lets post anyway!

And I doubt he knows the difference between "software piracy" and "reverse
engineering".

Old November 30th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Matt W. Barrow" wrote in
:

Matt W. Barrow writes:

Maybe you could verify something for me: I've heard for some time
that, though MS is quick to prosecute piracy and reverse
engineering MS stuff, they expend copious amounts of money reverse
engineering competitors products.

True or trash?

False. They are also extremely careful about avoiding piracy of
software themselves.

Idiot
Bertie

Jeez. Like he would know but lets post anyway!

And I doubt he knows the difference between "software piracy" and
"reverse engineering".

Who, me or Anthony?

I'm a luddite and I know the difference..

Bertie

Old December 1st 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

"Gatt" wrote in message

Mxsmanic wrote in

They stole proprietary code ...

Ever heard of NCSA Mosaic?

I worked in the same building as Marc Andreeson. At Netscape. Ever heard
of him?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:M...laque_ncsa.jpg

Are you suggesting he stole his own code? Do you have any idea WTF
you're talking about?

... and used massive personnel resources to get it to market before
the smaller company.

No, they just wrote a better browser.

No, you really don't know what you're talking about. I had friends
working at Microsoft while I was working at Netscape.

Netscape was so busy patting itself on the back that it didn't notice,
and it never even tried to catch up.

To reiterate, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, and
once again you're talking to somebody who does.

Gatt! Please!! Shoot him and put him out of our misery.

Old December 1st 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gatt writes:

I worked in the same building as Marc Andreeson. At Netscape. Ever heard
of him?

Yes.

Are you suggesting he stole his own code?

I'm pointing out that no software is developed in a vacuum.

Do you have any idea WTF you're talking about?

Yes.

No, you really don't know what you're talking about. I had friends working
at Microsoft while I was working at Netscape.

Friends at Microsoft? Very impressive.

To reiterate, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, and
once again you're talking to somebody who does.

Netscape is a textbook example of how not to run a company. That's why
Netscape is history, and Microsoft is not.
Old December 1st 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Gatt writes:

I worked in the same building as Marc Andreeson. At Netscape. Ever
heard of him?

Yes.

Are you suggesting he stole his own code?

I'm pointing out that no software is developed in a vacuum.

Do you have any idea WTF you're talking about?

Yes.

No, you don't

Bertie

Cessna To Build Skycatcher Overseas Despite Cheap Dollar Larry Dighera Piloting 22 November 29th 07 01:04 AM
Skycatcher IFR? Matt Whiting Owning 57 November 26th 07 11:59 PM
Skycatcher to be a import. Gig 601XL Builder Piloting 0 November 26th 07 05:01 PM
Cessna's new LSA: "Skycatcher" Jim Logajan Piloting 107 September 23rd 07 01:18 AM
Cessna's new LSA: "Skycatcher" miffich Piloting 1 July 24th 07 12:04 AM