General Zinni on Sixty Minutes

Old May 31st 04, 08:10 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article 77yuc.21588$js4.11193@attbi_s51, Mike Dargan
wrote:

Oddly, despite my disparaging comments about Nixon, his record on civil
rights and the environment was quite good. He appointed quite a few
minorities and women and had much to do with the EPA and OSHA. He
started out with a couple of Supreme Court nominations that were
clinkers (Haynesworth and Carswell!) but then gave us the core of the
Burger Court which turned out surprisingly well.

At least Carswell led to one of the truly wondrous statements by a
senator, Roman Hruska: "There are a lot of mediocre people in this
country. Don't they deserve representation too?"
Old May 31st 04, 12:44 PM
Vaughn

We are fighting terrorists in Iraq.

Have you been suffering from these delusions long? What is the next
"terrorist" country that we are going to invade?

Vaughn

Old May 31st 04, 12:47 PM
WalterM140

The 5,000 casualties we have now are totally unnecessary.

Wait a sec... is this just the casualties from Iraq, or did you include
the first three thousand from a couple of years back?

We have @ 800 KIA and @ 4,000 WIA, just in Iraq. We have had 85 KIA in
Afghanistan.

Walt
Old May 31st 04, 12:52 PM
WalterM140

If we had to incur 5,000 casualties in the war on terror, they should
not have been incurred in Iraq.

Well, besides the fact that it's been one of the big financial and
logistical supporters of worldwide terror for a long, long time,

Source?

and
since it's right in the middle of a bunch of other countries that are
currently in the same nasty business, and since the secondary effects of
kicking out Saddam are really bloody obvious (Libya's change of heart
and the lack of Iraqi funds for Hamas are the two most glaring
examples)...

I don't know why you can't get that.

Because you're just wrong.

I don't know that just because you say it.

Many senior oficials are on the record saying something different from what you
say.

General Zinni:

"But he wasn’t the only former military leader with doubts about the invasion
of Iraq. Former General and National Security Advisor Brent Scowcroft, former
Centcom Commander Norman Schwarzkopf, former NATO Commander Wesley Clark, and
former Army Chief of Staff Eric Shinseki all voiced their reservations.

Zinni believes this was a war the generals didn’t want - but it was a war the
civilians wanted.

“I can't speak for all generals, certainly. But I know we felt that this
situation was contained. Saddam was effectively contained. The no-fly, no-drive
zones. The sanctions that were imposed on him,” says Zinni."

Those 5,000 casualties are unnecessary.

Walt
Old May 31st 04, 01:24 PM
George Z. Bush

Mike Dargan wrote:
Ed Rasimus wrote:

Ronald Reagan traded arms for hostages after complaining about European
allies conducting conventional trade. George Shultz, hardly a liberal,
claims to have told Reagan to his face that he traded arms for hostages.
Why did Reagan deny it? Was he a fool or a knave?

Are they mutually exclusive? Could have been both, IMHO.

George Z.

Old May 31st 04, 01:31 PM
George Z. Bush

Vaughn wrote:
We are fighting terrorists in Iraq.

Have you been suffering from these delusions long? What is the next
"terrorist" country that we are going to invade?

Since Rummy has devised our new lean, mean, military machine, we're going to
have to finish with the one we're in right now, because we don't have either the
hardware assets or the people to handle more than one third rate terrorist
nation at a time. Knocking down their armies is the easy part.....it's making
the losers realize that they lost that eats us up.

What a come down for the world's only superpower!

George Z.

Old May 31st 04, 03:01 PM
Vaughn

"George Z. Bush" wrote in message
Knocking down their armies is the easy part.....it's making
the losers realize that they lost that eats us up.

Yes! They keep comparing Iraq to Vietnam, when they should really be
comparing it to the Soviet-Afhgan war. Just substitute buildings for mountains
and you have it.

What a come down for the world's only superpower!

If we keep acting like the Soviets, it is only natural that we will share
their history.

Vaughn

George Z.

Old May 31st 04, 03:03 PM
Vaughn

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

That's because you're uninformed.

This from the guy who thinks we went to Iraq to fight terrorists?

Vaughn