Dangerous Cessna evacuates govt again

Old May 12th 05, 12:43 PM
kontiki

Could be dangerous unless you are trained in formation flying. ;^)

Old May 12th 05, 12:46 PM
Ron Natalie

Mike W. wrote:
"John T" wrote in message
m...

Sorry, but this is stepping on a raw nerve. Show me any navigation chart

or

NOTAM establishing a "no-fly zone" around Washington.

The WASHINGTON Sectional and Terminal Area charts for over
a year now depict both the ADIZ and the FRX. The FRZ as well
as the expanded prohibited area over Camp David are displayed
on a white background. This is a depiction used nowhere else
in US charting.

Old May 12th 05, 12:46 PM
kontiki

Dave Stadt wrote:
One of them was a student pilot the other was at least a private. OBTW it
is Dick Daley, not Don.

The "Don" was a tongue in cheek reference to his mob-boss like control over Chicago.

Old May 12th 05, 12:53 PM
Ron Natalie

Matt Barrow wrote:
"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

kontiki wrote:

Soon Washington DC will be like Berlin... barbed wires, tanks and

outposts.

You haven't been here recently, have you. It already looks like that.

I didn't look that way during World War II, but it started getting that
ambiance during the 90's already.

No, in WWII (and up until President Kennedy started reversing it),
Washington looked like a military base. The city is home and
business ground to a ton of service members. Supposedly temporary
munitions and other cheap military construction were thrown up on
the mall and other "vacant" land. Kennedy relaxed the uniform
requirements, which gave a much more civilian appearance to town.
The DC heydey was around the bicentennial when they finally removed
a lot of old WWII military stuff from the mall and generally
cleaned up the public areas.

The thing started to decline again after a few security incidents
around the White House. Pennsylvania avenue was closed (for good)
as well as many of the other streets around the White House.
Every public building is now ringed with a variety of barricades.
The real casualty has been the Washington monument which has been
surrounded with construction fencing for the past year (hopefully
the unveiling will be prettier than the ring of jersey wall that
they had previously errected around it). Throw in the ill-conceived
and Hitler-esque WWII memorial and the DC downtown is currently
under a blight only surpassed from the thirties when the mall
essentially was relegated to being a freight yard.
Old May 12th 05, 12:55 PM
Ron Natalie

Martin Hotze wrote:
"Sport Pilot" wrote:

Yes, it's silly for the gov't to scatter like hens when a Cessna

approaches,

but that's not the point.

Not when its possible for a C150 to carry a small A bomb in a suitcase.

very dumb idea to fly a bomb to DC when you can walk there and deliver it
directly.

The White House is a little better protected, but the Capitol you could
drive a semitrailer upto if you were willing to die for the cause. I've
already been caught in traffic when delivery trucks got lost on the hill
(trucks are supposedly restricted). Of course, when a delivery truck
strays too close to the Capitol, it causes a traffic jam but rarely
makes new news other than "Traffic and weather every ten minutes."
Old May 12th 05, 12:56 PM
kontiki

Dylan Smith wrote:

I think you are exaggerating by at least three orders of magnitude.

Possibly... but who really knows since no one is counting or even attempting
to keep track of who is here illegally. And you were just talking about the
southern border, what about the other one(s)?

I guess people think it is more important/better/cheaper to have armies, navies
and Air Forces stationed all over the world, some guarding borders (Korea)
and some fighting wars (Iraq) than attempting to secure our own country.

Old May 12th 05, 12:57 PM
Ron Natalie

Dylan Smith wrote:

You'd have to get it within 0.5km if *airburst* to be effective - if
exploded on the ground, its destructive range would be very short (maybe
a city block) - you'd have to drive right up to the gates of the White
House.

You can park within about three blocks of thw White House and as long
as you look inconspicuous enough (like a brown delivery uniform guy
pushing a hand truck), you could walk easily to within a block.
Old May 12th 05, 01:02 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , x-ray wrote:
Christopher Campbell wrote:
The W-48 155mm nuclear artillery round is 34" long and weighs about 110 lbs.
It could fit diagonally in a large suitcase,

errrr no it woudldn't. Typical size of a suitcase (and the one claimed by
Lebed) is 24x16x8". And it would take two-three people to carry such
suitcase (depending on the required distance). And that's an every day sight
on the street or airport, right? Three people carying ONE briefcase - it
really doesn't look suspicus at all! By omitting the shielding, your device
will trigger the most cheapest toy radiation sensor (not to mention the
sophisticated ones that would detect you long before you even get into
plane).

But that's not to say that very small nuclear weapons have not been made
(and tested) without killing the operators - they have, and by the
United States no less. The Davy Crockett was tested in the early 1960s.
The M388 projectile weighed 76lbs (the warhead being 51lbs of this), The
projectile was 31 inches long and 11 inches wide at its widest point.
2100 Davy Crocketts were deployed between 1961 and 1971.

I'm not exactly the world's strongest guy but even I could manhandle the
76lb Davy Crockett projectile. Since the weapons deployed to soldiers in
the field didn't kill the soldiers, we can assume that they had adequate
shielding.

The Davy Crockett round was tested in the Little Feller II test in 1962.
The warhead tested was 11 inches wide and 15 inches long, and weighed in
at 50lbs. Both a warhead suspended by cables a couple of feet off the
ground, and an actual firing of the whole Davy Crockett weapons system
was performed. The yields of the explosions were in the 20t range. (20
tonnes, not kilotonnes, tonnes). Even so that's a big bang for a small
bomb. It was the last atmospheric test at the Nevada test site.

The smallest diameter nuclear device tested by the US was 5 inches in
diameter. It exploded with a yield of 190t (it was actually a fizzle).
It weighed 96lbs. That's about the weight of my "portable" Roland A-90
keyboard (which has a travel case with wheels on the bottom. I took it
to the P'ville fly in in the back of a Bonanza about 3 years ago). That
particular round would also fit in my keyboard case. Whilst hardly a
suitcase, not many people are suspicious of musicians moving their kit
and the wheeled case would make it pretty easy to move on foot.

Some more information on the Davy Crockett (and some discussion on
'suitcase nukes') can be found at the Nuclear Weapons Archive:

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/News...ukesExist.html

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old May 12th 05, 01:03 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , kontiki wrote:
Possibly... but who really knows since no one is counting or even attempting
to keep track of who is here illegally. And you were just talking about the
southern border, what about the other one(s)?

Canada would empty out even quicker having a population of around ~30M.
I think the Canadians might have also noticed the torrent of illegals
entering their country first.

Old May 12th 05, 01:10 PM
kontiki

Jay Beckman wrote:

We ain't the Soviet Union ... not by a damn sight.

You young guys don't have the perspective to appreciate just
how different this country is today compared to 40 years ago.