Have you ever...

Old April 15th 05, 03:49 PM
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 07:17:57 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote in
::

[In 1980] RNAV didn't exist except in bizjets ...

I was using RNAV in 1971 in a Cessna 177.

Old April 15th 05, 03:53 PM
Matt Barrow

"Ross Oliver" wrote in message
Jay Honeck wrote:
Who in the world uses VORs
for daily flight anymore?

Those of us who refuse to pay $400/yr "Garmin tax" for data collected
and produced at taxpayer expense.

You must really be ****ed at Rand-McNally, too, and their $4 tax for their
atlas.

Old April 15th 05, 03:57 PM

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
Who in the world uses VORs
for daily flight anymore?

Those of us who refuse to pay $400/yr "Garmin tax" for data collected
and produced at taxpayer expense.

Garmin charges $400 per year to keep their databases current?

Glad I own an AvMap.

Why? The AvMap tax is $600/yr.

--
Mike Flyin'8
PP-ASEL
Old April 15th 05, 03:58 PM
Matt Barrow

You'd really be ****ed at what King charges for the KLN-94!

Garmin charges $400 per year to keep their databases current?

Glad I own an AvMap.

Hmmm...flown any approaches with that one? :~)

Old April 15th 05, 04:25 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Larry Dighera wrote:
[In 1980] RNAV didn't exist except in bizjets ...

I was using RNAV in 1971 in a Cessna 177.

RNAV was no more common than that C-177. It was something we read about; not
something that we got to use. I didn't even see my first LORAN until around
1984.

GPS? Two weeks ago, when I did my bienial.... the first one in 15 years.
Things have changed a bit.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old April 15th 05, 04:28 PM
Newps

Suppose you are navigating solely by GPS. What are you going to do in
the event the military chooses to disable the GPS system while you're
airborne

Can't be done. There is no on/off switch.

Old April 15th 05, 05:05 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Newps" wrote in message

Suppose you are navigating solely by GPS. What are you going to do in
the event the military chooses to disable the GPS system while you're
airborne

Can't be done. There is no on/off switch.

While I am quite sure there is a a way they could turn it off if they
decided to they certainly could make it incorrect without the proper
decryption hard/software that the GPS in your plane will think it is flying
over JFK when you are in LAX.

Old April 15th 05, 05:15 PM
Matt Barrow

"Newps" wrote in message

Suppose you are navigating solely by GPS. What are you going to do in
the event the military chooses to disable the GPS system while you're
airborne

Can't be done. There is no on/off switch.

Meb'be one of them terrorists with a 50cal rifle will shoot them all down!!!

Old April 15th 05, 05:33 PM
Matt Barrow

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
. com...
Larry Dighera wrote:
[In 1980] RNAV didn't exist except in bizjets ...

I was using RNAV in 1971 in a Cessna 177.

Sure.

RNAV was no more common than that C-177.

It, by itself, probably cost more than the Cardinal did.

It was something we read about; not
something that we got to use. I didn't even see my first LORAN until

around
1984.

I finally got to use RNAV in about '85. That King thingee. Didn't have LORAN
at all in the Rocky Mountain west due to the gap, AIR.

Didn't get to use GPS until I bought my second bird in 2001 and all that was
all of a Lowrance POS that worked about half the time.

GPS? Two weeks ago, when I did my bienial.... the first one in 15 years.
Things have changed a bit.

One of these days...one of these days!!

Old April 15th 05, 06:06 PM
ShawnD2112

Interestingly enough, VORs and ADFs aren't even talked about in the UK PPL
except in the "that thing in the panel there is a VOR. Don't worry about
it" kind of sense. That stuff's considered advanced instrument equipment
and FAR to complicated for the average PPL to learn about without his brains
leaking out his ears.

Shawn

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
After I got tired of that and removed the hood, I asked "so, where are
we".
He laughed and told me that I was supposed to figure it out. So I did.

This seems rather useful to me. Why eliminate it?

You figured out your position using VORs? What decade was this? ;-)

Can I do that? Sure. Can I name the last time I needed to know that?
Nope. Can I even name the last time I did it? Nope.

If, in ten years and nearly 1000 hours of flying, I've never needed to
figure out my position by looking at the face of my VOR, as if I'd
suddenly awakened in my plane and didn't have a clue where I was, what the
hell is it doing on the written exam for Private Pilot? Who in the world
uses VORs for daily flight anymore?

I know, a lot of you guys do. Despite the fact that you've probably got a
Garmin/Lowrance/AvMap on your yoke that is 500 - 1000 times more accurate
and intuitive than your old 1953 Narco 12, you feel compelled to "follow
the needle" cuz that's what you're used to doing. Have fun, but don't
fool yourself into believing that this is a necessary or common way of
flying anymore. It *can* be eliminated from the Private Pilot
curriculum, right along with ADFs.

Which isn't to say that tracking a VOR isn't kind of fun, and (for those
of us at the bottom of the aviation food chain) still necessary for IFR
flight. But for regular, VFR navigation, VORs have pretty much outlived
their usefulness.

Oh, well. Keep VOR questions on the written exam for Instrument Pilot,
for the moment. In five more years everything will be GPS based, and
interpreting a VOR will be like knowing how to gauge your position by
listening to two tones in your headset.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA