Beware travelers with bratty kids

Old January 27th 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze

Default Beware travelers with bratty kids

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:19:38 GMT, B A R R Y wrote:

How does "Oriental" offend, but not "Asian"?

IMHO Oriental is tended to address more or less the Arabic region (whatever
you think about what the correct geographic region should be), as Asian
more or less addresses the more eastern region. There might be some issues
for Asians to be mixed up with Orientals.

#m
--
I am not a terrorist. http://www.casualdisobedience.com/
Old January 27th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 02:34:50 GMT, "G. Sylvester"
wrote:

Roger wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 00:13:16 -0800, "G. Sylvester"
wrote:
First off, the mother called the Flight Attendants as stewardess. She
might as well had called them whores. Ok, maybe not that bad but it is
demeaning and the term steward/ess has been out of use for a couple of
decades. She should learn the right name.

It is.

I've been flying since they had fans on the front. They will always be
stews and stewardesses, just Oshkosh will always be "Oshkosh and not
Airventure

Roger - I have plenty of respect for the things you have to say but in
this case, the term is wrong. It is nonetheless common and somewhat
offensive.

A term is offensive only when the person takes it as offensive. That
they have changed the name of the job has not changed the job, nor
does it change the thinking of people who have been around for a long
time.

Kind of like calling an Asian person an Oriental. It's

Which is quite proper in most of the world

wrong and offensive. In NY where I grew up, everyone called Asians as
Orientals. it wasn't until I moved to California I learned that it was

Now that explains it. Moving into Kalifornia that is.

wrong. History won't make it right.

But moving out of California would.

This is confusing politically correctness with whether something is
right or wrong. You've picked a geographically localized PC term
where a local group had determined something is wrong even if most of
the world doesn't think that way.

Most Japanese and Indonesians I know do not find the term offensive
which I find strange in a way as the Japanese language and its use is
loaded with honorifics. It is also difficult to translate directly.
Translated literally, much of it can be very confusing to English
speaking people. As one Japanese friend said, "Just think Yoda" as
they must have used Japanese for his speech model. She works as a
translator.

Gerald

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old January 28th 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
G. Sylvester

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Don't attendants pass out hand towels in classy bathrooms? The only thing I
can think of with "stewardess" is that it's a slightly archaic term. But it's
not demeaning to my way of thinking.

FA's pass out warm cloth towels in business and first class too. Doh!
I'm never going to get an upgrade again.

Gerald
Old January 28th 07, 09:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On 27 Jan 2007 14:24:16 -0800, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

I'd have given the parents a few minutes to calm the kid down. It makes
for better press...

They had already given them 15 minutes. That is far more than I'd
give.

Here's what the AP Travel Editor thinks of the situation:

http://tinyurl.com/28zuf7

Man, a reporter with her head on straight. Will wonders never
cease.:-))

Old January 28th 07, 09:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 00:12:40 GMT, G. Sylvester wrote:

Don't attendants pass out hand towels in classy bathrooms? The only thing I
can think of with "stewardess" is that it's a slightly archaic term. But it's
not demeaning to my way of thinking.

FA's pass out warm cloth towels in business and first class too.

and also in coach.

#m
--
I am not a terrorist. http://www.casualdisobedience.com/
Old January 28th 07, 09:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:50:28 -0800, Judah wrote
(in article ):

John Theune wrote in

The flight crew did not have the option to let them have the child ride
on a parent's lap. The FAR's are quite clear about age and need to be
in your seat with the seatbelt fastened.

It's often amazing how large the 2 year olds are these days.

Well, of course if you are going to expect the flight crew to risk their
careers (and the child's safety) by breaking the FARs then they have the
right to expect you to support them for the rest of their lives if they get
caught, right?

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old January 28th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

"Don Tuite" wrote in message
news
Occasionally, you guys sound like media reporters talking about
"stalls."

"Orient" came into disrepute when Edward Said published _Orientalism_
in 1978.

"Disrepute" and "Edward Said" in the same sentence is redundant.

Old January 28th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Roger wrote:
Man, a reporter with her head on straight. Will wonders never
cease.:-))

Here is the key statement from the article...

Steve Loucks, a spokesman for Carlson Wagonlit Travel, the travel
agency, said parents need to realize that, "in the post-9/11 world,
there's no room for error on airplanes. Unruly passengers, regardless of
who they are, whether it's an elderly person or a young child, can be
grounds for turning the plane around and letting them off. ... If ever
there were a place where you need to make sure your children were
behaving, this is the place."