A tower-induced go-round

Old March 30th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default A tower-induced go-round

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

wrote in message

About 40 years worth, all at the same airport, if you are referring to
CCB.

Just as an airport manager? Nothing that might qualify him to create a
proper procedure?

He started as a kid being a gopher for the airport owner, founder, and
builder and worked his way up.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

Since it is a privately owned airport, I would imagine he has to pass
major decisions past the owners, who also have decades of experience
and have been around since shortly after the first dirt was moved to
build the runway, but since I'm not part of the airport management
I can't say for sure.

The towers at the adjacent class D and class C airports are also
expecting pilots to follow the local VFR procedure.

The class C tower is expecting departing traffic that will transition
their airspace to be departing following the local procedure.

Arriving traffic that transitions the class C will be vectored to
the start of the local arrival procedure and nowhere else.

For traffic between the class D, the class D tower expects arriving
traffic to be coming from the local departure area and vectors
departing traffic towards the local arrival area.

So, to sum it up, we have a local VFR procedure that has been in
existance for decades, has had no safety issues, has been willingly
followed by thousands of pilots without complaint, and is implicitly
endorsed by the actions of ATC at two towers.

Sounds OK to me and I think I will continue to follow the procedures.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old March 30th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

Well, first, as you and the other anal legal eagles have pointed out,
it is not "mandatory", but it works, everyone follows it, it is safe,
and been in existance for decades.

To paraphrase, results talks, barracks lawyer bull**** walks.

How many people know it's not mandatory? Did you know it's not mandatory
before joining this thread? Does the airport manager know it's not
mandatory? Why was it written to appear as though it is mandatory?

Old March 31st 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

wrote in message

Well, first, as you and the other anal legal eagles have pointed out,
it is not "mandatory", but it works, everyone follows it, it is safe,
and been in existance for decades.

To paraphrase, results talks, barracks lawyer bull**** walks.

How many people know it's not mandatory? Did you know it's not mandatory
before joining this thread? Does the airport manager know it's not
mandatory? Why was it written to appear as though it is mandatory?

Oh for Christ's sake, what the hell does it matter and who gives a
damn?

FYI, the CCB procedure, both on the web site and on the printed copy
at the FBO say "suggested VFR" at the top.

The signs in the runup area say "Please".

Any more nits to pick?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old March 31st 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 14:45:02 GMT, wrote in
:

USENET is nothing more than an electronic version of a hanger BS
session.

Verbal communications only reach those listeners within earshot, and
more importantly, they are ephemeral.

I remember converstation from the Korean war; that's barely ephemeral.

Usenet articles are read throughout the world, and because they are
archived for decades, they are persistent.

And most people realize USENET an electronic BS session.

Archived BS is still BS.

Hopefully you are able to understand the distinction between the two?

Hopefully you are able to understand the distinction between a BS
session and a conference.

Let's look at some achived, persistent, erudite posts to USENET that
the whole world can see:

By tj Frazer:

"we are mixing maths.
a piston engine has no HP at 5 rpm.

2000 HP piston engine at 5 rpm is 0 hp.

But ssvr 650 foot pounds at 5 RPM is 1/2 HP on paper with the piston
math.
1/2 HP engine pistons ,,wount pull ****.
The V8 wount bust the 650 pound rope ..
the 1/2 hp wount pull the rope out of my hand.
The 650 pounds going forward bust the rope easy.
all at the same speed down road 5 rpm wheel."

A treasure to be sure

Or perhaps this gem from habshi:

" In Canada farmers are desperate for snow in wintertime because
it insulates the earth and stops the ground from freezing rock hard.
I am not sure if earth is a good or bad conductor , but assuming its
bad then we can make use of the fact that the ground soaks up 50% of
the trillions of barrels of oil equivalent energy the sun sends us
each day.
Why not put a blanket on the ground at night , street urchins
would then take it off in the day to allow more ground heating and
then put it on again at night. Within a few days the ground would get
piping hot and water can then flow on it and be used in a heat
exchanger.
The Brits have something called a tea cosy. They wrap the tea
pot in a padded jacket and it keeps the tea hot for long. I would be
the first to put a padded blanket on my roof but then Al Qaida would
know where I live. So maybe Jim can be the first one to do it and tell
us how much energy he saves ."

And yes, the Jim he is referring to is me because I keep telling him
he is a babbling idiot.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old March 31st 07, 11:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Jay Honeck posted:

The controller told ME to go around, remember? I would have landed
behind the student pilot ahead of me -- or over him, if need be -- if
the controller hadn't given the order to go around.

So... let's see. If under option #1 you landed behind the student, you had
enough room to guarantee a full stop before running him down? Since your
option #2 would have been to scare the bejeezus out of the student by
landing "over him", I presume the student wasn't near the far end of the
runway, so some numbers just don't seem right, here. If you needed to be
told to "go around" in that scenario, perhaps the controller knows you
personally? ;-)

Neil

Old March 31st 07, 11:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Larry Dighera posted:

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 03:25:34 GMT, Jose
wrote in :

If you include the Message-ID of the article to which you are
following up in the attribution, it makes it easy for everyone to
find.

How does one use the message ID (other than on google)?

With my newsreader client, Forte Agent, you just right-click on the
message-id and select Launch, and it jumps to that message.

That technique does nothing useful in Outlook Express. I'd rather see
proper attributions in posts, as even using the "Show all Messages" option
is limited by the server mirroring the NG. If it only caches a relatively
small number of messages, the original source message may be clipped.

Neil

Round Engines john smith Piloting 20 February 15th 07 03:31 AM
induced airflow buttman Piloting 3 February 19th 06 04:36 AM
Round Engines Voxpopuli Naval Aviation 16 May 31st 05 06:48 PM
Source of Induced Drag Ken Kochanski Soaring 2 January 10th 04 12:18 AM
Predicting ground effects on induced power Marc Shorten Soaring 0 October 28th 03 11:18 AM