Common instruments on small aircraft

Old October 30th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bart

Default Common instruments on small aircraft

karl gruber wrote:
Who said the FAA rules aren't absurd?

A passenger cannot initiate a flight, that's the ruling, whether you or I
like it or not.

Sorry but I don't believe it.

When I see something official from the FAA that says that it is a
violation to carry a passenger at that person's request when all
expenses are paid by the pilot, then I will believe it.

All I've seen to this point are anecdotes and peoples opinions - some
of which are based on FAA rulings but the rulings don't deal with this
specific question.

The closest I've come to something concrete is an AOPA article on the
specific legalities of this situation and it said that it is a
violation when the expenses are shared.

Old October 30th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bart

Bart wrote:
I will then be forced two wait at least another two days due to weather.

Oops. My brain got ahead of my typing. The above should read "I will
then be forced *to* wait..." grin

Old October 30th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Judah writes:

You gonna answer the phone from your crash site?

No, but knowing that the aircraft is dark green might well be useful
to search-and-rescue teams.

Old October 30th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jay Beckman

"Bart" wrote in message
ps.com...
Marty Shapiro wrote:
Inspector's for at least 2 FSDO's that I'm aware of say otherwise.
They were very clear in different Wings safety seminars that providing
air
transportation for a friend is NOT permitted for a private pilot. One
even
stated that the FAA added the definition of logging time as compensation
for this exact case, where the pilot does not charge at all. They
empasized that unless you were going to make the trip regardless of
whether
or not your friend was going along, you would be violating the FARs.

Another point (not saying that I'm right or you're right) is that if
you are paying for the entire cost of the flight, how can logging
flight time which *you* are paying for be perceived as being received
from the passenger?

The logged time cannot (should not) be considered compensation from the
passenger because the passenger in now way provided it to you. However,
if there are shared expenses, then it could be seen that the passenger
payed for some of the logged time.

I think I see why this is so confusing...It has nothing to do with the
passenger.

If you do not have "commonality" for making the trip, the chance to log
flight time (regardless of the reason, regardless if you split it pro rata
or not) can be viewed as compensation.

If you are flying because your passenger wants to go somewhere (and you
don't have a legitimate reason to go as well...and even if your passenger
doesn't give you a penny) you are being given an opportunity to log time
that you might not otherwise be logging...this is considered compensation.

Jay B

Old October 30th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
RK Henry

On 29 Oct 2006 19:34:18 -0800, "Bart" wrote:

Ron Wanttaja wrote:
The pilot or operator of a Part 91 aircraft can replace the aircraft
batteries...you don't need an A&P. Read 14CFR 43.3(g) and Appendix A (c).

Ok - but we still have to wait on the battery to be ordered which takes
at least a day.

Did someone just leave the master switch on? Can't you just charge the
battery?

I've never had a battery just die. It usually exhibits its death
throes for months, giving plenty of time to shop Trade-A-Plane for the
best price.

RK Henry
Old October 30th 06, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jose[_1_]

If you are flying because your passenger wants to go somewhere (and you
don't have a legitimate reason to go as well...and even if your passenger
doesn't give you a penny) you are being given an opportunity to log time
that you might not otherwise be logging...this is considered compensation.

Does this "opportunity" not exist in other circumstances? Every time I
fly I have the opportunity to log time I might otherwise not be logging.
Every time I wake up I have the opportunity to fly.

The FAA is so bizzare on this it is no surprise it gets no respect.
What surprises me is the number of pilots that seem to =support= this
kind of interpretation.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old October 30th 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Judah

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Judah writes:

You gonna answer the phone from your crash site?

No, but knowing that the aircraft is dark green might well be useful
to search-and-rescue teams.

So the search and rescue teams wouldn't notice the airplane if it were blue
and white?
Old October 30th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jay Beckman

"Jose" wrote in message
. net...
If you are flying because your passenger wants to go somewhere (and you
don't have a legitimate reason to go as well...and even if your passenger
doesn't give you a penny) you are being given an opportunity to log time
that you might not otherwise be logging...this is considered
compensation.

Does this "opportunity" not exist in other circumstances?

Such as?

Every time I fly I have the opportunity to log time I might otherwise not
be logging. Every time I wake up I have the opportunity to fly.

You're splitting hairs. The difference is that there is no concern
regarding "commonality" if you are solo.

The FAA is so bizzare on this it is no surprise it gets no respect.

IMO, It's not the FAA as an institution, but rather it's SOME people within
the FAA combined with a lack of outside oversight that make them so
draconian at times.

What surprises me is the number of pilots that seem to =support= this kind
of interpretation.

Knowing about and having a handle on from where the FAA is coming doesn't
automatically mean pilots like or support a specific reg. It does suggest
that they are smart enough to know how not to bust it though.

Jay B

Old October 30th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bart

Ron Wanttaja wrote:
The pilot or operator of a Part 91 aircraft can replace the aircraft
batteries...you don't need an A&P. Read 14CFR 43.3(g) and Appendix A (c).

Ok - but we still have to wait on the battery to be ordered which takes
at least a day.

Did someone just leave the master switch on? Can't you just charge the
battery?

I've never had a battery just die. It usually exhibits its death
throes for months, giving plenty of time to shop Trade-A-Plane for the
best price.

We've been having issues with it for awhile. Nobody has been able to
figure out exactly what the problem is.

Old October 31st 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jose[_1_]

If you are flying because your passenger wants to go somewhere (and you
don't have a legitimate reason to go as well...and even if your passenger
doesn't give you a penny) you are being given an opportunity to log time
that you might not otherwise be logging...this is considered
compensation.

Does this "opportunity" not exist in other circumstances?

Such as?

Right now I am not flying. But the opportunity to log time that I might
not otherwise be logging exists right now, since I can go to the airport
and go flying. I can even take my wife.

Or I can choose not to.

The opportunity exists.

Every time I fly I have the opportunity to log time I might otherwise not
be logging. Every time I wake up I have the opportunity to fly.

You're splitting hairs. The difference is that there is no concern
regarding "commonality" if you are solo.

The FAA splits hairs. In fact they split short hairs. And I never
mentioned being solo. I can take my sister to visit a friend while I
enjoy the fall colors. No commonality. This is an opportunity to log time.

Jose