Pegase (Pegasus) 101A....opinions?

Old October 8th 03, 11:55 AM
Robert Ehrlich

Michel Talon wrote:

Basil Fairston wrote:
But as with most gliders this is cured by a nose hook or a tail wheel.

Basil
UK
"Tony Verhulst" wrote in message
David Mesh wrote:
Half a share in a Pegase 101A has come available in
my club. Can anyone offer an unbiased opinion on them?

I owned a 1/3 share in one for 3 years. Good value for the money and
very nice handling characteristics.

The only negative point was that I found it difficult to launch in a
cross wind - it always wanted to head for the weeds. I know of 2
misshaps in my club (witnessed 1) where different 101As suffered wing
damage after striking an object on the ground during the above
situation. YMMV. You need to be quick on the release.

By the way, all the Pegases i have seen (in France) had a nose hook.

However the belly hook only is a fairly commeon configuration, even
in France. Among the 4 my club was owning, 2 of them had this configuraton,
one of them was sold and the other damaged, so the 2 remaining ones have
a nose hook. A strange feature of this glider is that the nose hook, which
is not really in the nose but under it, has a back release mechanism like
CG hooks. This can be surprising while being towed in rough air if the
tow cable becomes slack up to the point that the release opens. In St
Auban, where such rough tows are frequent, we were briefed on this possibility,
and some gliders have the back release disabled by securing the pivoting
ring in a fixed position.
Old October 8th 03, 05:32 PM
Jasper Grannetia

We fly a Pegase 101a at our club. It does not have the nose-hook, but
then I have only flown it from the winch.

Nice airplane, handles well, no nasty habits. I flew competitions in it
and won one, lost two others dramatically... But that was due to my poor
performance...