Ohio midair crash kills 3

Old May 16th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Ohio midair crash kills 3

On Wed, 16 May 2007 13:14:05 -0400, "Peter R."
wrote in :

On 5/16/2007 11:48:02 AM, Larry Dighera wrote:

10:49 Bonanza N1835L 4 mi ... 6,000' we'll be entering L DW
for ...6

Is this correct, Larry? The pilot stated he was at 6,000 feet and only four
miles from the airport, which has a traffic pattern altitude of approximately
1,800 feet?

I found that datum troubling also. The Bonanza would have been
descending rather rapidly to arrive at the pattern entry point at
1,800'. Because the Bonanza reported he was north of the field and
would make a left down wind entry to runway six, he may have been in a
slight right bank at that point obscuring his view of the Cessna out
the side window.

The Cessna pilots transmission is more difficult for me to decipher,
but if he flew a left crosswind after departing runway six, he could
have also been in a bank to the right or left depending on whether he
was departing the pattern on the left 45 or remaining in the pattern.
If the later, his view

Listen to the recording, and see if you agree with what I heard:
http://www.sarangan.org/aviation/sca...2007051115.mp3 Where I
included ellipsis (...) in the Broadcast column, it is meant to
indicate that some of the transmission was unintelligible to me.
Old May 16th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Andrew, have you contacted the Cincinnati FSDO to let them know you have
this?
Old May 16th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

Thanks for the transcription of the audio file. I should also add that
my computer's clock was about 9 minutes 30 second behind the official
time, so all the time stamps must be advanced by approx 10 minutes to
be correct.

On May 16, 11:48 am, Larry Dighera wrote:
On 15 May 2007 20:08:50 -0700, Andrew Sarangan
wrote in .com:

I live not too far from the accident scene, and I have a scanner that
records all CTAF communications in the vicinity and uploads to my
website. I have not searched the audio archives carefully, but perhaps
one of you might want to take a look and find if anything relevant to
this crash shows up. Here is the link:

http://www.sarangan.org/aviation/scan_audio/

Yours may be the sole record of these transmissions. Thank you for
making them available.

From the FAA preliminary information (below):

Date: 05/11/2007
Time: 1903 UTC
Time: 15:03 Local (UTC -4:00)
N6614D, A CESSNA 172
N1835L, A BEECH V35B

Cincinnati-Blue Ash Airport KISZ
Elevation: 856 ft.
Airport Information:http://www.airnav.com/airport/KISZ
Chart:http://skyvector.com/#21-106-3-2057-1518

Here's what I found on the tapes (probably the last words of the MAC
pilots):

Audio File: May 11, 2007; 14-15; METAR (KMGY)
35009KT 310V020 10SM CLR 28/10
Position
In File Aircraft Broadcast
10:17 Bonanza N1835L 5 mi N, will be entering L DW Rny6 FS
10:25 Cessna N6614D Just departed rny6 ... departing rnwy
20 clmbg thru 2,100...Will be looking
for the Bonanza on...
10:49 Bonanza N1835L 4 mi ... 6,000' we'll be entering L DW
for ...6

Audio File: May 11, 2007; 15-16; METAR (KMGY)
02008KT 10SM CLR 28/12
Position
In File Aircraft Broadcast
02:43 Helo 6CS is Sky5 about 3 to the S @
2,00 mid-field xing NB
02:51 Sky5
03:00 Sheriff 1,400 aprch frm W
03:50 Sky5 ...275 @ 2,000 in orbit
04:26 Sheriff? ... mi NE of Blue Ash
06:31 Sky5 Sky5 helo & Sheriff helo orbiting
about 2 mi NE @ 1,500 to 2,000
06:42 Sky5 You call'n Blue Ash or 229 Sheriff?
06:45 Sheriff Blue Ash
06:46 Sky5 Ok, we're up with ya.
06:48 Sheriff ...they've already called for CFR ...
... about 10 or 15 min out...however
long it takes for them to get goin'
06:57 Sky5 Gotcha. Copy 10 min. We'll stay 2 or
abv 2,000 stay out of your way.
07:11 Sky5 Sky5 helo & Sheriff helo orbiting abt
2 2-1/2 NE of Blue Ash just outside of
275blue

So it appears that the Bonanza was inbound from the north at 6,000'
(5,144' AGL) for left downwind entry to runway six, while the Cessna
had just departed runway six and was at 2,100' (1,244' AGL) at the
time of his last transmission. It would seem that both aircraft would
have had their view of the other obscured by their low/high wing
configurations. Tragic.

http://www.faa.gov/data_statistics/a...eliminary_data...
************************************************** *******************************
** Report created 5/16/2007 Record 3 **
************************************************** *******************************

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 1835L Make/Model: BE36 Description: 36 Bonanza
Date: 05/11/2007 Time: 1903

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: Y Missing:
Damage: Destroyed

LOCATION
City: CINCINNATI State: OH Country: US

DESCRIPTION
N6614D, A CESSNA 172 AIRCRAFT AND N1835L, A BEECH V35B AIRCRAFT
COLLIDED IN
MIDAIR 2.5 MILES FROM THE AIRPORT, THERE WERE TWO PERSONS ON BOARD
N6614D,
AND ONE PERSON ON BOARD N1835L, ALL THREE PERSONS ON BOARD THE TWO
AIRCRAFT
WERE FATALLY INJURED, CINCINNATTI, OH

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 1
# Crew: 1 Fat: 1 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:

WEATHER: 1852Z 35009KT 10SM BKN130 BKN250 29/11 A2996

OTHER DATA
Activity: Unknown Phase: Unknown Operation: Other

FAA FSDO: CINCINNATI, OH (GL05) Entry date:
05/14/2007

Old May 16th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 16 May 2007 12:14:55 -0700, Andrew Sarangan
wrote in . com:

Thanks for the transcription of the audio file.

You are welcome.

I should also add that my computer's clock was about 9 minutes 30 second
behind the official time, so all the time stamps must be advanced by
approx 10 minutes to be correct.

That may be true of the times shown on your web site, but the times
included in my transcription are offsets into the audio files that
have little correlation with time of day, as the receiver's squelch
eliminated all the dead air time.

How have you configured your receiver to record these files? I might
like to do something similar.

Old May 16th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

Listening to the preceeding/succeeding recordings, all other traffic at
Blue Ash was using R24.

I heard the following...

8:50... unintelligible for Blue Ash

10:15... Blue Ash traffic Bonanza 1835L is five miles north of the field
will be entering left downwind runway six full stop.

10:22...Blue Ash traffic Cessna 6614D has just departed runway six now
departing on a heading 360, climbing through two thousand one hundred
will be looking for the Bonanza on ?.

10:41... Blue Ash traffic Bonanza 35L four miles from the field at 3000
feet will be entering left downwind for runway six.

10:55... a mic is keyed and an unintelligeble, excited voice and audio
squeal can be heard. The transmission last one second.

11:14... Cherokee 3874W calls midfield for right downwind 24.
Old May 16th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Galban

On May 16, 8:48 am, Larry Dighera wrote:

Audio File: May 11, 2007; 14-15; METAR (KMGY)
35009KT 310V020 10SM CLR 28/10
Position
In File Aircraft Broadcast
10:17 Bonanza N1835L 5 mi N, will be entering L DW Rny6 FS
10:25 Cessna N6614D Just departed rny6 ... departing rnwy
20 clmbg thru 2,100...Will be looking
for the Bonanza on...
10:49 Bonanza N1835L 4 mi ... 6,000' we'll be entering L DW
for ...6

So it appears that the Bonanza was inbound from the north at 6,000'
(5,144' AGL) for left downwind entry to runway six, while the Cessna
had just departed runway six and was at 2,100' (1,244' AGL) at the
time of his last transmission.

I don't know if I'd say that. According to your transcript, at
10:25 the Cessna reported departing runway 6, then it appears that was
corrected to runway 20. Maybe I'm reading it wrong? I can't really
tell which runway the Cessna departed from for sure.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old May 16th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Galban

Belay that last post. I just realized that the airport in question
only has runways 6 and 24. Did the pilot of the Cessna know that?
Did he mean 24 when he said 20? He seemed to be trying to correct
something.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old May 17th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

wrote in :

[...]

I also found that the clock on my computer was approx 9mins 30 seconds
behind the actual time. Also, the transmissions from the Blue Ash
traffic pattern would have been difficult to receive from my rooftop
antenna. I am about 20 NM to the north of Blue Ash and only 1.5NM
south of MGY airport, so any transmissions from MGY would have easily
overridden transmissions from Blue Ash.

Old May 17th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

wrote in . com:

Thanks for the transcription of the audio file.

You are welcome.

I should also add that my computer's clock was about 9 minutes 30 second
behind the official time, so all the time stamps must be advanced by
approx 10 minutes to be correct.

That may be true of the times shown on your web site, but the times
included in my transcription are offsets into the audio files that
have little correlation with time of day, as the receiver's squelch
eliminated all the dead air time.

How have you configured your receiver to record these files? I might
like to do something similar.

It is not difficult to set this up if you have a linux system. It is
an ordinary scanner, and the audio is fed into the soundcard and
captured using the 'sox' software. Sox has switches for selecting the
input threshold (squech) and to do various processing to create
virtually any output format you like. If you are interested I can
send you the script file (really trivial - it is only one line long).

My setup is primarily limited by the fact that the antenna barely
clears the top of my roof but I still get pretty decent reception out
to 30 miles or so.

Old May 17th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

wrote in . com:

Thanks for the transcription of the audio file.

You are welcome.

I should also add that my computer's clock was about 9 minutes 30 second
behind the official time, so all the time stamps must be advanced by
approx 10 minutes to be correct.

That may be true of the times shown on your web site, but the times
included in my transcription are offsets into the audio files that
have little correlation with time of day, as the receiver's squelch
eliminated all the dead air time.

How have you configured your receiver to record these files? I might
like to do something similar.

There is some unintelligible audio at 10:54 that sounds like it might
be the same voice as the Bonanza pilot. Then at 10:57 something that
sounds like "you guys too close".