NYC/Hudson VFR Corridor...finally!

Old November 22nd 03, 06:37 PM
Ron Natalie

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message ...

You have to keep tabs on it. The main problem recently was games at Yankee
Stadium (not a problem since the series is over). The briefers would warn you
that a game was scheduled, but they wouldn't know the exact time it started,
and nobody knows when one will end.

Dial up 880 on the ADF?

Old November 22nd 03, 07:57 PM
Teacherjh

A couple of hundred feet makes that much of a difference?

You won't get a couple of hundred feet. You'll get what the controllers give
you, which will llikely be a thousand feet or more higher. Yes, it makes a
difference. (and that low, a few hundred feet changes the view too).

Jose

Old November 23rd 03, 01:56 AM
John Roncallo

Andrew Gideon wrote:

BTW, when I got back to CDW, my CFII and a friend working on his rating were
landing. So I popped in at the FBO to say "hi". I explained what I'd just
done...and my CFII was somewhat disapproving. He doesn't like the
corridor, apparently, with all the crowded (and uncontrolled!) traffic.

The perfect CF-*double*-I! laugh

- Andrew

I guess he would be really upset If you flew into JFK. Try the corridor
at night. I never saw a helicopter at night and there is significantly
less traffic. It also is very very very cool. Also try JFK at night. I
dont know about now but I went there 5 years ago and the landing fee
after 10:00 PM was only $25.00. It was the most worth while landing fee
I ever paid.

Old November 23rd 03, 02:11 AM
John Roncallo

Andrew Gideon wrote:

Is "JFK approach" 125.25?

So what is this "airport approach" thing? Where does it fit in the Universe
(as I understand it) which includes TRACON and Tower?

Thanks...

Andrew

Approach is who you have to speak to before you enter the Class B. Look
at the New York VFR TAC. You will see a few white boxes with the proper
frequencies to use for the area you are approaching from. You must call
these approach control frequencies and be given a specific clearance
into the Class B before entering. They can refuese to let you in, and
will probably not let you in if your radio skills do not appear sharp.

John Roncallo

Old November 23rd 03, 03:21 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Andrew Gideon wrote:

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

From the north, talk to LGA approach.

LGA approach? Is that different from the tower or NY approach? Is this on
119.95?

If you're outside the class-B to the north, the proper term is NY approach, but
you'll be talking to LGA. Frequencies are 126.4, 319.8, and 120.55. If you're
under the outer ring of the class-B, you want LGA tower on 119.95. If you're
within 6 nm of LGA, better not talk to them.

From Linden, call up EWR.

On 127.85 or 118.3. That's where I became confused. Is 127.85 what you're
calling "EWR approach"?

127.85. You'll be talking to the tower.

If you're
over the Raritan bay, call JFK.

Yes? EWR seems the closer choice there.

I agree, but the last time I called EWR, they told me to call JFK. JFK gave me
vectors for half a minute or so and turned me over to EWR near the narrows. JFK
approach is 125.7 outside the outer ring and 125.25 under it.

So what is this "airport approach" thing? Where does it fit in the Universe
(as I understand it) which includes TRACON and Tower?

As far as I can tell in this environment, it's a word that tells the guy on the
ground that this is your initial contact and you're getting closer to him.

George Patterson
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned
no other way.
Old November 23rd 03, 03:26 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Andrew Gideon wrote:

Right. But I cannot see under my aircraft's cowling. Having an extra set
of (RADAR) eyes watching cannot hurt.

The controllers don't pay any attention to anything squawking VFR in the
corridor. If you want radar attention, you'll have to get clearance into the
class-B. As far as the choppers are concerned, they usually stay below 500',
but they tend to act like they own the air down there. Most of them are pros
who are quite good at see-and-avoid. Some of them are quite taciturn.

Old November 23rd 03, 03:54 AM
Andrew Gideon

John Roncallo wrote:

Approach is who you have to speak to before you enter the Class B.

Not necessarily. When I fly the GSP transition southbound, for example, I
call Newark's tower directly on 118.3.

But my confusion is in the use of the phrase "Newark Approach" or "JFK
Approach". I don't know what that means. I understand "Newark Tower" and
"New York Approach". But "Newark Approach" is a phrase I don't recall.

Is it perhaps an "approach" in the tower, distinct from both "tower" and
"New York Approach"?

Or is this just a linguistic holdover, such as when my CFII called
"Catskills Approach" on 132.75?

- Andrew

Old November 23rd 03, 06:25 AM
Guy Elden Jr.

It was fun, but crowded. And those helicopters are either not watching,
or
very daring. One climbed past my 2 o'clock quite close to me. No
announcement, either. A little unnerving.

The last time I did the corridor, it was at night, calm as calm can be...
except for all the planes flying overhead enroute to LGA runway 13... Got
some nice bumps out of them.

The bridges seemed awfully high!

Oh yeah! I always swing out to the middle when crossing the GWB and
Verrazano, just to be sure. I estimate the GWB towers to be around 700 - 800
feet tall, and I usually fly right at 900 feet, so that doesn't leave much
clearance at all if you go directly over them.

Next time, I might try it higher (ie. in the class B). Who would I speak
to? LGA's tower at the north end, or EWR's tower down south? Which
frequency? 118.3 for EWR (I think)?

Not sure about climbing higher, but I've transitioned EWR airspace a couple
of times... my typical route is CDW to the Alpine Tower (just south of the
Tappan Zee), then turn south over the Hudson, descend to 900 feet, do the
run to the Verrazano, then swing back north, contact EWR, transition their
airspace enroute to CDW. Takes about 30 minutes or so. Typically EWR will
have you fly directly over the numbers of either 4L/R or 22L/R, so make sure
you do exactly that. The last time I did that transition I got traffic
called for a 767 landing on 22, and a Learjet landing on 15 (I think that's
the number... the one that intersects with the two parallel runways).
Basically just had to swing a bit to the north to avoid the Lear... the 767
was no factor to my lowly 172.

BTW, when I got back to CDW, my CFII and a friend working on his rating

were
landing. So I popped in at the FBO to say "hi". I explained what I'd

just
done...and my CFII was somewhat disapproving. He doesn't like the
corridor, apparently, with all the crowded (and uncontrolled!) traffic.

Best place to practice your see and avoid skills... you can be sure just
about every pilot there is doing exactly that.

As I was driving home from the city tonight with my wife and a friend, I was
joking about the idea of going up around midnight to try and get cleared to
circle over Rockefeller center... idea being that traffic wouldn't be much
of a factor, so approach would probably grant the request. I figured it
might be a cool way to get a photo of the tree there, but then my friend
pointed out that it'd be at night, and the chances of getting a good photo
from a safe altitude (probably 3000 feet at least) at night would be slim to
none. Still, it might be something to try... as long as I'm within gliding
distance of LGA, I figure it'd be safe.

--
jr

Old November 24th 03, 01:40 AM
Andrew Gideon

Andrew Gideon wrote:

Approach is who you have to speak to before you enter the Class B.

Not necessarily. When I fly the GSP transition southbound, for example, I
call Newark's tower directly on 118.3.

Laugh I did that today, and they had me change to "Newark Tower" on
127.85. So much for predictability, eh?

BTW, while I was on that frequency, I heard someone cleared for a flight
over the Hudson northbound at 1400.

- Andrew