what went wrong

Old August 9th 07, 11:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dick[_1_]

Default what went wrong

thanks for M76-4 copy and everyone's advice. am going to order another seal
and do better.
"Cy Galley" wrote in message
Continental which used the same type seal as the Lycoming and Franklin
recommends the split be at 11 or 1 o'clock.(case spilt is at 12. My
recommendation is to use "super glue" on the ends. Make sure the recess
is clean and dry. Use a sealer on the outside. I like Loctite 515 and
remember to replace the garter spring and grease the lip. Look at
Continental M76-4 for the complete Continental instructions.

Cy Galley - Chair,
AirVenture Emergency Aircraft Repair
A 46 Year Service Project of Chapter 75
EAA Safety Programs Editor - TC
EAA Sport Pilot
"Dick" wrote in message
Having spent 4-1/2 hours removing and 1 hour replacing a leaking split
seal on the front of my flanged crankshaft C-85 , my first flight today
still shows leakage....

Never really doing those old Chevy two part split seals well, I guess I'm
still inept G.

I think I'll be able to better the aforementioned time durations but
would appreciate any hints at doing a better job this time.

Thanks, Dick

Old August 9th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dave[_16_]

"Dick" wrote in message
Having spent 4-1/2 hours removing and 1 hour replacing a leaking split
seal on the front of my flanged crankshaft C-85 , my first flight today
still shows leakage....

Never really doing those old Chevy two part split seals well, I guess I'm
still inept G.

I think I'll be able to better the aforementioned time durations but
would appreciate any hints at doing a better job this time.

Thanks, Dick

Does Continental have a solid seal for the engine? The type you force
over the prop flange?
I've used those before and have seemed to do a good job.
Just a thought.

Dave
Old August 9th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Dick" wrote in message
Having spent 4-1/2 hours removing and 1 hour replacing a leaking split
seal on the front of my flanged crankshaft C-85 , my first flight today
still shows leakage....

Never really doing those old Chevy two part split seals well, I guess I'm
still inept G.

I think I'll be able to better the aforementioned time durations but
would appreciate any hints at doing a better job this time.

Thanks, Dick

Does Continental have a solid seal for the engine? The type you force
over the prop flange?
I've used those before and have seemed to do a good job.
Just a thought.

Never seen one, at least for the small engines. That's Lycoming's
method.

Dan

Old August 9th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Dick" wrote in message
Having spent 4-1/2 hours removing and 1 hour replacing a leaking split
seal on the front of my flanged crankshaft C-85 , my first flight today
still shows leakage....

Never really doing those old Chevy two part split seals well, I guess I'm
still inept G.

I think I'll be able to better the aforementioned time durations but
would appreciate any hints at doing a better job this time.

Thanks, Dick

Does Continental have a solid seal for the engine? The type you force
over the prop flange?
I've used those before and have seemed to do a good job.
Just a thought.

Seems to me I vaguely remember that there were a couple of
different types of crankcases: one had a big cavity behind the seal so
that there was no problem draining the oil away from it, and the other
had a small drain hole that guck would plug up so that the oil was
eventually forced past the seal. Pressure from the front main would do
it.
But this is really vague and might be applicable to some
other engine. My memory isn't what it was.

Dan

Old August 10th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Seems to me I vaguely remember that there were a couple of
different types of crankcases: one had a big cavity behind the seal so
that there was no problem draining the oil away from it, and the other
had a small drain hole that guck would plug up so that the oil was
eventually forced past the seal. Pressure from the front main would do
it.
But this is really vague and might be applicable to some
other engine. My memory isn't what it was.

Dan

My hypothesis is that too much new data forces a lot of old memory out the
drian hole, or past the seal.

That's my story an' I'm stikin' to it.

Peter

what am I doing wrong gt[_2_] Aviation Photos 8 June 4th 07 01:49 AM
Wrong Vario!!! Mike Hostage Soaring 0 March 30th 05 01:39 AM
What's wrong with this engine? Fred the Red Shirt Home Built 6 May 3rd 04 04:49 AM
ATC says wrong position Greg Esres Instrument Flight Rules 28 April 30th 04 05:37 PM
Saying the wrong thing...! Paul Sengupta Piloting 3 January 23rd 04 03:58 AM