Bonehead move today

Old August 15th 05, 04:14 AM
Jim Burns

For a
few brief moments there was a lot of traffic- a 337 landed, a Mooney was
running up, a Stearman departed, and we were cranking in the Baron, in
addition to the 152 and 210- a lot going on for a small uncontrolled

field.

Sounds like the last time I was there. Traffic was using 27, so everybody
had to back taxi from the restaurant. When I was 1/2 way down, a plane
announced turning base to final, so I pulled off at one of the run-up areas
midway down the runway. I bet I waited there with both props spinning for
at least 4 planes to land before I got back out on the runway to finish my
taxi to the end.

Jim

Old August 15th 05, 05:21 AM
Morgans

"Viperdoc" wrote

They converged at approximately midfield, with the 152 taking evasive

action
by doing a steep right turn to the south away from the runway at low
altitude, while the 210 climbed on runway heading and did not take any
obvious evasive action.

My bet is that the 210 still doesn't know that there was any conflict during
his takeoff.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 15th 05, 07:33 AM
Brien K. Meehan

Neither pilot had an obligation to announce anything on the radio.

Old August 15th 05, 12:38 PM
Viperdoc

While neither pilot had any obligation to announce, if I had been in the 210
and somebody made a radio call saying they were departing off of the same
runway in the opposite direction it probably would have gotten my attention.

Old August 15th 05, 12:40 PM
Viperdoc

Why file an ASRS? They didn't swap paint, there were no injuries, and as far
as I know there were no FAA officials present to write it up.

Old August 15th 05, 01:57 PM
Jay Honeck

Neither pilot had an obligation to announce anything on the radio.

Pilots aren't obligated by FAR to breathe, either -- but it's highly
recommended.

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 15th 05, 02:17 PM
B. Jensen

This is where common sense vs "by the book" conflict. You are correct
that "by the book" they didn't have to announce anything. However,
common sense tells us this was / is not the best course of action.

Anytime someone tells me he/she "flies strictly by the book", I pay 300%
more attention to what they are doing!! They ten d to be the most
dangerous pilots..IMO. The "book" is a good outline for structure, but
you must fill in the Chapters and pages with good common sense to be safe.

BJ

Old August 15th 05, 03:52 PM
Guy Elden Jr

The ASRS is there to report issues that affect flight safety. Having
two planes careening toward one another from opposite ends of a runway
at an uncontrolled field is something that I think should be reported.
Perhaps there is an issue with this particular field: could the planes
physically see each other from opposite ends? Did either / both pilots
actually use radio comms? The fact that all planes have to do a
taxi-back to either end of the runway certainly seems like a possible
factor that led to the near-miss. Who knows... maybe it's just a fluke
and isn't likely to reoccur. The point is the ASRS is there to make the
system safer, and should be used in instances like this (I think
anyways).

--
Guy

Old August 15th 05, 04:01 PM
Chris Schmelzer

In article ,
"Viperdoc" wrote:

Why file an ASRS? They didn't swap paint, there were no injuries, and as far
as I know there were no FAA officials present to write it up.

Umm, to promote SAFETY??

--
Chris Schmelzer, MD
Capt, 110th Fighter Michigan ANG
Old August 15th 05, 05:15 PM

Uncontrolled fields can be scary. I learned to fly at one, and that has
programmed me from day one to stop, look & listen for the guy that
doesn't annouce position or intentions. I've seen some "stupid pilot
tricks" like the one described in this thread befoe - never got as
close as the 210 and 152 did though...