Does the 3-1 rule apply to air combat?

Old October 28th 03, 04:07 AM
WaltBJ

Seems to me there's a lot of "apples vs oranges" so far in this
discussion. If you take a look at the air war in the Battle for France
or the air war over Europe from August 1944 on you see what numbers
can do for you. Numbers times quality gives you a down and dirty
measure of capability but it nevertheless means it's tough on the side
with the lower result.
Also, picking one encounter out of the stack can give misleading
results because of the large number of variables.
Lnachester's Rule applies - generally - but Saburo Sakai in his A6M5
Zero was jumped by 16 Hellcats - and got away . . . . OTH Clarence
Schomo in a P38 jumped a flight of Japanese fighters on a ferry hop
(forgot what they were - Zeros or Franks, ISTR - and got 7 of them . .
.. go figure. Or for real awesome technical superiority - the Bekaa
Valley Turkey Shoot.
Walt BJ
Old October 28th 03, 04:58 AM
Kevin Brooks

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..
True. No US ground force trains under conditions where it enjoys a
3:1, or even 2:1, superiority in terms of raw numbers.

The original poster said "quality and quantity." Arguably, the U.S.
had a better than 3-1 superiority over the Iraqi army and the fedayeen
when the quality of American weaponry is considered.

Quality *and* quantity? That can be taken in more than one way (i.e.,
a requirement that *both* be 3:1 margins).

When the US Army trains, it does not set up an OPFOR that is severely
lacking in terms of quality (we even saw the OPFOR, in an Iraqi
scenario fought by corps and division commanders and staffs in 1999,
credited with having a heck of a lot more precision guided weapons
capability, not to mention useable airpower, than existed in reality).
In actual modern operations, such as OIF, the preponderance of mass
has generally always been on the other guy's side--remember all those
cheap-seaters who were bleating about the lack of sufficient US combat
power on the ground (a week before the rush into Baghdad, that
is....they all got kind of quiet after that, except for ol' Wes, who
has tried to now claim that he was *really* griping about the entire
conflict in general...)? Again, the key was to pick out and isolate
the required areas (such as that BAI effort south of Baghdad) and
pinch off a more managable chunk in which we could apply our firepower
to compensate for the lack of sheer numbers. The Army, like the Air
Force, has trained to fight outnumbered and win for decades now.

Brooks

all the best -- Dan Ford

Old October 29th 03, 01:55 AM
vincent p. norris

Butch O'Hare comes to mind.

But he didn't prevail. The Japanese bombers did bomb the fleet. (They
didn't prevail, either, since they didn't sink it.)

Are you sure, Dan? Perhaps I'm remembering wartime propaganda, which
may not have been exactly true, but it was that he shot down at least
five and the others turned tail and ran.

vince norris
Old October 29th 03, 11:20 AM
Cub Driver

Are you sure, Dan? Perhaps I'm remembering wartime propaganda, which
may not have been exactly true, but it was that he shot down at least
five and the others turned tail and ran.

There were 8 planes in the 1st Chutai, in two flights. He shot down 3
and badly damaged 2.

Four planes managed to drop their bombs on Lexington. One bomb
exploded 100 feet off. The command plane, shot out of the formation
just before bombs away (and claimed by O'Hare), made a suicide run on
Lex but was unable to match the carrier's evasive turns and was shot
down by ack-ack. The Japanese, always optimistic in such cases,
reported that it hit the carrier.

A fourth plane (damaged and claimed by O'Hare) was shot down by
Sellstrom. Of the 3 planes still in the formation, one was shot up by
an SBD. Two of the bombers ditched successfully; one landed back at
Rabaul, and of the 3, two eventually flew again.

They claimed one warship sunk. I'm not sure if that was the Lex or
not.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old October 30th 03, 12:22 AM
vincent p. norris

Thanks, Dan. I apologize for doubting you. ((:-))

vince norris