activating RW lighting

Old August 25th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug Semler

Default activating RW lighting

wrote in message
Doug Semler wrote:

You don't consider a MALSR on an ILS runway to be a "precision approach
lighting system?"

I don't remember if MALSR is concidered "precision" or not.

OK, in terms of that response:
Can a precision approach include a non precision lighting system? (And
no, I don't know myself, so I can't answer)

The orignal point was that KCON has a pilot controlled MALSR; the point made
systems. That's why I asked if you considered MALSR a precision approach
lighting system. If you don't, then the points are moot, but I would like
to know the answer to my last question...

I'm referring to ALSF-1 and ALSF-2 systems.

I think you should have said that in the first place, because obviously the
original response wrt the pilot controlled MALSR @ KCON assumed that MALSR
*is* precision lighting (with the sequenced flashers as well)

See the runway lighting info in airnav for KCON and KONT.

KONT has ALSF-2 with centerline sequenced flashers and a 4 light PAPI
on 26L and MALSR on 8L/26R.

I looked at both. None of KONT's lights are pilot controlled. KCON's MALSR
is (along with 17-35 HILR, 12-30 MILR), and nonpilot controlled VASI on 35
and PAPI on 17.

--
Doug Semler, MCPD
a.a. #705, BAAWA. EAC Guardian of the Horn of the IPU (pbuhh).

Old August 25th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Doug Semler wrote:
wrote in message
Doug Semler wrote:

You don't consider a MALSR on an ILS runway to be a "precision approach
lighting system?"

I don't remember if MALSR is concidered "precision" or not.

OK, in terms of that response:
Can a precision approach include a non precision lighting system? (And
no, I don't know myself, so I can't answer)

The orignal point was that KCON has a pilot controlled MALSR; the point made
systems. That's why I asked if you considered MALSR a precision approach
lighting system. If you don't, then the points are moot, but I would like
to know the answer to my last question...

Like I said, I don't remember if MALSR is concidered "precision" lighting
or not.

There is precision approache and precision lighting, and AIR, you can
have a precision approach without precision lighting.

I'm referring to ALSF-1 and ALSF-2 systems.

I think you should have said that in the first place, because obviously the
original response wrt the pilot controlled MALSR @ KCON assumed that MALSR
*is* precision lighting (with the sequenced flashers as well)

See the runway lighting info in airnav for KCON and KONT.

KONT has ALSF-2 with centerline sequenced flashers and a 4 light PAPI
on 26L and MALSR on 8L/26R.

I looked at both. None of KONT's lights are pilot controlled. KCON's MALSR
is (along with 17-35 HILR, 12-30 MILR), and nonpilot controlled VASI on 35
and PAPI on 17.

Since the KONT tower is open 24 hours, why would the lighting be pilot
controlled?

AFAIK, all ALSF sytems are run in -acronym I forgot- mode in good
weather as ALSF mode is really too bright.

In that mode, the lights look like Podunk Municipal.

Having the tower turn everything on while on approach is dramatic; that
was my point.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

HID Lighting Mike Rapoport Owning 35 October 5th 06 09:02 PM
EL Cockpit Lighting? JB Owning 10 October 21st 05 07:23 PM
Runway Lighting Slick Piloting 28 January 31st 05 09:02 PM
Electroluminescent Lighting dave Home Built 10 February 27th 04 03:46 PM
Electroluminescent Lighting dave Owning 3 February 27th 04 03:46 PM