Tracking the Elusive Tracing Paper

Old August 26th 04, 11:31 AM
Richard Lamb

guynoir wrote:

The scanner I use is a quite reasonably priced HP "Scanjet 4670". Less
than $200. I can pick up the scanner unit and place it anywhere on any
size drawing I want, do a one button scan, move the scanner over, do
another scan and so on. This way I can scan a drawing of any size and
then use imaging software to splice all the scans together. If I want
to take the time. Probably takes half an hour to scan and stitch a
typical d size sheet. That's why we farm out all our big scans to
various local and not so local scanning services.

One other thing about the demo version of Deltacad: To keep using it
after the 30 day trial period, just re-load it. I extended my "trial
period" to over a year.

Screw that. I want his flatbed scanner! :-)

Russell Kent

--
John Kimmel

I think it will be quiet around here now. So long.

And we gonna piece the print outs together with taps?

I guess I'll stick with my old Epson FX's.
Old August 28th 04, 06:26 AM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Veeduber wrote:
[[.. munch ..]]
strapped it to the top of my 1965 VW bus and ran it up & down Highway
395 to see how it worked. Which was good, except for that nice man from the
California Highway Patrol... who eventually let me off with a warning.

I can just _imagine_ that conversation!

Has to rival one I had when I went through a radar speed trap at an
excessive speed, _on_a_bicycle_. Long, *long*, time ago -- and, at that
time, in that place, the speed limit statutes applied to *motor* vehicles
only. It was apparently a slow afternoon for law-enforcement, and fairly
shortly there was a 'committee meeting' of what seemed to be _most_ of
the cops for that side of town. _Spirited_ discussion regarding what *could*
I be cited for, if they were of a mind to do so. Even 'reckless driving'
turned out to be a 'motor vehicle'(only) offense. Something like 30 minutes
later, with more than a dozen officers 'on scene', including 2 sargents,
and a lieutenant, nobody had been able to find anything that 'fit the crime'.
Note: I'd been 'free to go' since shortly after the 1st additional officer
showed up on the scene, but it the whole thing was _good_ entertainment, so
I stuck around to watch the show. grin

Old August 28th 04, 01:43 PM
Blueskies

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
ervers.com...
In article ,
Veeduber wrote:
[...]

Well, if you were free to go, and you stuck around, why were you going so fast to begin with?

;-)

--
Dan D.
http://www.ameritech.net/users/ddevillers/start.html

..

Old August 28th 04, 03:04 PM
Ernest Christley

Richard Lamb wrote:
guynoir wrote:

I've been doing a lot of reverse engineering using Deltacad. I scan a
1963-vintage mylar drawing and then paste it full size into Deltacad,
then I can trace directly over the image. I've done drawings 13 feet
long and 5 feet wide that way (these are Sikorsky S-64 parts). I can
use Deltacad to adjust the scale of the image in x and y directions to
get within .020 across a 12 foot drawing, but I have to use an image
editor to take any warpage, skew etc. out of the image.

Once I get a usable 2d vector drawing, I can import it into a modeling
program and design tooling, flat patterns, 3d parts, etc. Deltacad
works much better than the automatic vectorizing program I was using before.

Another thing I really like about Deltacad is the great flexibility and
ease of printing drawings on a large format plotter (or any printer for
that matter). The Oshkosh satellite photo posted here a couple weeks
ago happened to be a really high resolution image. I copied it into
Deltacad and printed it out on 42" wide photo paper. It looks really
nice thumb tacked to the wall.

I used the demo version for about a year before I sprung $50 for the
non-watermark version.

For me, Deltacad is the ultimate tracing paper.

--
John Kimmel

I think it will be quiet around here now. So long.

I WANT YOUR PRINTER !

Printing large format can be difficult. I drew the wing rib profiles of
the Dyke Delta (each one is different) and took them down to the local
CopyMax. It was to big and they couldn't handle it. First of all, it
had to be in PDF format and then it just locked up thier computer.

We finally figured out that we could print it half-size on one of their
printers and then use one of there automatic enlargers to get it to the
proper size. The printout was 8ftx4ft.

--
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/
"Ignorance is mankinds normal state,
Old August 30th 04, 01:37 AM
Ryan Young

(Veeduber) wrote in message ...
Got a call the other night from a total stranger .... He's trying to track down some tracing paper.

http://www.artsupply.com/alvin/tracing.htm
Architects use it by the running yard, at least those of the old
school. Sometimes it's easier to think with a pencil than with a CAD
program when doing preliminary sketches.

Waxed
paper makes great tracing paper but nowadays most folks don't carry those
narrow-lead wax pencils you need to write on the stuff.

Usually referred to these days as "Film pencils" or "Mylar pencils".
Try colored leads for a mechanical pencil. You trace on the less waxy
side.

Truth is, I haven't used real tracing paper since the late 1950's when it was
replaced by frosted acetate and later by frosted Mylar.

Mylar gets a bit spendy, and Acetate is worse. The non-frosted stuff
can be marked with a Sharpie. The frosted stuff (a starch coating
gets put on it) can take pencil or pen.
http://www.artsuppliesonline.com/cat...m?cata_id=4984

Another way to transfer plans is to use Dressmakers Carbon and a
tracing wheel. Transfer directly onto whatever you're going to use,
either for a pattern, a jig, or a part.
Old August 30th 04, 02:48 AM
Blueskies

I use this stuff for the small planes...

http://www.seetemp.com/order.htm