Rust in tight places

Old February 6th 09, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell[_2_]

Default Rust in tight places

wrote in message
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 20:49:47 -0600, "Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote:

"stol" wrote in message

Rust converters not properly and completely flushed will corrode the
parent metal.. I guess I should have mentioned that first but I did
assume that is a no brainer.

My bad.

over and out.

Not all brands require a flush. Some convert surface rust to a hard dark
grey coating that seems to be an excellent sealer.

Phosphoric Acid (Metal Prep) does just that - used as an "etch" in
auto-body work to give the primer some "tooth" as well as getting rid
of any minor surface "flask\h" rust. Makes Iron Phosphate.

This is the product I used
http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-47233/Detail
Treated some rust areas in a truck bed under a bed liner. When I sold the
truck ten years later, the treated areas were still free of corrosion.

Old February 6th 09, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 23:11:51 -0600, "Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote:

.. .

"stol" wrote in message

Rust converters not properly and completely flushed will corrode the
parent metal.. I guess I should have mentioned that first but I did
assume that is a no brainer.

My bad.

over and out.

Not all brands require a flush. Some convert surface rust to a hard dark
grey coating that seems to be an excellent sealer.

Phosphoric Acid (Metal Prep) does just that - used as an "etch" in
auto-body work to give the primer some "tooth" as well as getting rid
of any minor surface "flask\h" rust. Makes Iron Phosphate.

This is the product I used
http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-47233/Detail
Treated some rust areas in a truck bed under a bed liner. When I sold the
truck ten years later, the treated areas were still free of corrosion.

Not bad stuff but expensive (relatively) and not good for getting into
the real close stuff in welded clusters. Not sure which of it's
ingredients are the active rust converter.

Rust Baver 2 acroman Aviation Photos 0 August 19th 07 04:00 PM
Rust Flying Service Beaver - 1 acroman Aviation Photos 0 August 19th 07 03:59 PM
Shaking off the Rust john smith Piloting 22 March 1st 07 12:36 AM
Fly tight for tight bomb patterns on the ground. ArtKramr Military Aviation 120 August 30th 04 08:42 AM
Rust inhibitor? Steve Thomas Home Built 10 August 30th 03 09:34 PM