US Citizen relocating to Canada

Old January 24th 05, 07:40 PM

Seems to me that a US-registered airplane can only be in
Canada for up to 90 days in any calendar year. Might be an issue for
you.
Duty on a used airplane? First I've heard of it. GST (Federal
tax) and any applicable provincal taxes would apply. Our government
likes to tax us to death.

Dan

I suspect you are right. However I know of someone who
was told by Transport Canada to just leave it with an
N-number on it (it was for private use only). The version
I heard from this individual was that Transport doesn't
have a "private operator equivalent" of the leasing regs.
for commercial N-numbered aircraft. (In this case, the
airplane was FAA type certified, but not Transport Canada
type certified, so Transport had no way of issuing a CofA.)

I suppose you might have to take a cross boarder cross
country, to be legit.

However, I have observed that switching from an N-number to
Canadian C-xxxx can be a challenge. The airworthiness folks
at Transport can be nitpicky. They want to see the airplane
configured exactly the way it left the factory, unless you
have STC paperwork for all changes. Then there are things
like different ELT standards, etc.

I know of a case where such an inspection failed because
there was no yellow triangular "ELT installed here" sticker
on the airframe. When the owner stated that he'd get
one right away, the Transport Inspector shrugged his
shoulders and said, "Once you've done that, call the office
and schedule another inspection". That happenned, three
weeks later.

rick

Old January 24th 05, 08:48 PM
Jay Somerset

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:20:51 GMT, "Dude" wrote:

Thanks for the heads up!

I suggest you join COPA (www.copanational.org) but you can get sonme info
from their website as a guest.

Wilco

If you import your US-registered aircraft, you will have to pay provincial
and federal sales taxes. The plane will also be subject to duty --
probably
at about 27% of current value. All in all, taxes/duties can total over
40%
of the value of the plane.

You can get more detailed info from COPA, and possibly from AOPA as well.

Holy Communism Batman! That's insane! Do I get a refund when I leave in a
couple years?

If you are only planning to stay temporarily, and you own the plane
personally, leave it an an N-reg, and fly it as a US-registered pilot. You
may not be able to do any commercial activity (not sure )-- check with FAA
and CAA) but I doubt it.
Old January 24th 05, 08:55 PM
Jay Somerset

On 23 Jan 2005 15:06:31 -0800, wrote:

There is no duty or taxes on personal property - including private
aircraft when you move to Canada. See
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/...html#P144_5246

Depending on the province, there will be normal "vehicle like"
registration fees - just like in US.

Not true -- read further. It depends on the value of each individual piece
of property. If you are a returning Canadian resisent, then these
definitley apply, no matter how long you may have lived in the US. The only
things that are likely to trigger this will be cars, aircraft, and expensive
pieces of jewellry or carpets.

A car, for example, must be formally imported into Canada, and this will
require the payment of duties (or excise taxes), if valued in excess of
$10,000. The same applies to aircraft.
Old January 25th 05, 12:33 AM
Drew Dalgleish

On 24 Jan 2005 11:40:25 -0800, wrote:

wrote:
[...]

You could bring it into Canada for a visit and keep it Nreg and legaly
fly it with just your american license. I sincerly doubt that anyone
is tracking how mmany days it stays in the country per year. I know of
a maule thats been flying around our area for a couple years this way
still with it's N#
Old January 25th 05, 06:31 AM

Man,

We must be seeing different things. Here is a line section from the web
page
about a third of the way down:

-----------------------
Items you can import duty - and tax-free
Personal and household effects

Personal and household effects include goods such as:

* antiques;
* appliances;
* boats and the trailers to carry them (trailers are subject to
Transport Canada requirements);
* books;
* family heirlooms;
* furnishings;
* furniture;
* hobby tools and other hobby items;
* jewelry;
* linen;
* musical instruments;
* private aircraft; ========= HERE
* private collections of coins, stamps, or art;
* silverware; and
* vacation trailers.
----------------------------

It includes private aircraft (unless you bring them in for commercial
use)

The only place it talks about $10,000 is about amount of cash you bring
in

Old January 25th 05, 06:45 AM

You are also confusing the original question. Dude asked about
moving to Canada and not about "returning" to Canada or
importing stuff to Canada when there.

Old January 25th 05, 07:08 AM

You are also confusing the original question. Dude asked about moving
to Canada and not about "returning" to Canada like you or your friend.

Could Canada Build Charles Talleyrand Military Aviation 22 July 11th 04 10:05 PM
Enroute charts valid for use in Canada? Andrew Sarangan Instrument Flight Rules 3 June 3rd 04 06:34 PM
Flying into Canada Don Tuite Owning 2 March 16th 04 08:08 AM
French block airlift of British troops to Basra Michael Petukhov Military Aviation 202 October 24th 03 06:48 PM
Reflections on first trip to Canada from US Mike & Janet Larke Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 9th 03 12:57 AM