Full before landing checklist in the pattern?

Old November 6th 03, 05:50 PM
Corky Scott

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 17:06:23 GMT, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

A checklist doesn't mean that you have to do something, just that you should
think about it. Your mention of flaps is a good example...FLAPS should be
part of the landing checklist, and it means "what flap setting, if any?"

This does not contradict my reply to BoDean.

Bob Gardner

I wasn't commenting on your message, I was responding to the original
post.

My experience has been that other than flaps and mixture, with the
fuel injected engined 172's there's nothing else to adjust.

You pretty much cannot land the airplane without thinking about the
flaps, or at least I can't, so digging out the checklist and reading
"set flaps", or whatever it says seems unnecessary to me at a time
when you want to be concentrating on holding pattern altitude, your
position in regards the runway, airspeed and traffic.

Complex airplanes would of course be different, but the question was
stated in regards "Cessna 172/152."

Corky Scott

Old November 6th 03, 08:21 PM

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 17:36:14 GMT, Newps wrote:

Skip the seatbelts.

That's probably the only thing on the list required by regulation:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/c...4cfr91_00.html
§ 91.107 Use of safety belts, shoulder harnesses, and child
restraint systems.
(2) No pilot may cause to be moved on the surface, take off, or
land a U.S.-registered civil aircraft (except a free balloon that
incorporates a basket or gondola, or an airship type certificated
before November 2, 1987) unless the pilot in command of that aircraft
ensures that each person on board has been notified to fasten his or
her safety belt and, if installed, his or her shoulder harness.

(3) Except as provided in this paragraph, each person on board a
U.S.-registered civil aircraft (except a free balloon that
incorporates a basket or gondola or an airship type certificated
before November 2, 1987) must occupy an approved seat or berth with a
safety belt and, if installed, shoulder harness, properly secured
about him or her during movement on the surface, takeoff, and landing.
For seaplane and float equipped rotorcraft operations during movement
on the surface, the person pushing off the seaplane or rotorcraft from
the dock and the person mooring the seaplane or rotorcraft at the dock
are excepted from the preceding seating and safety belt requirements.
Old November 6th 03, 08:30 PM
G.R. Patterson III

BoDEAN wrote:

How many people do / teach doing a full before landing checklist when
doing pattern work?

I flew with at least six different instructors during training for my PPC, two
others for transition to tailwheel, and several others for BFRs. None used
checklists during landing, nor did any of them recommend that I create one or
use one. I don't have or use one in my Maule, but there aren't a whole lot of
things to remember. I think I would develop the habit of using one if I were
flying more complex aircraft, or if I were flying several different types of
aircraft.

George Patterson
If you're not part of the solution, you can make a lot of money prolonging
the problem.
Old November 6th 03, 08:37 PM
David Brooks

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

BoDEAN wrote:

How many people do / teach doing a full before landing checklist when
doing pattern work?

I flew with at least six different instructors during training for my PPC,

two
others for transition to tailwheel, and several others for BFRs. None used
checklists during landing, nor did any of them recommend that I create one

or
use one.

My instructors talked about it, but didn't regularly reinforce the habit and
as a result I often forget. In a 172 and similar, there really is nothing to
actually *do* as a result of the checklist (I think that was the point about
the seatbelts; you always know you are wearing them) and, ironically, if you
do the check on downwind you probably don't pull the carb heat yet.

On the occasions when I do remember or am reminded, I usually take care to
actually touch the fuel selector, mixture, and primer, and look down at the
gear. I hope I'm creating habits that will help when I fly something more
complex, but right now I'm worried about re-creating the checklist habit in
the first place.

-- David Brooks

Old November 6th 03, 09:47 PM
'Vejita' S. Cousin

In article ,
David Megginson wrote:
('Vejita' S. Cousin) writes:

Define 'full'? I mostly fly C152 and GUMP pretty much covers
everything. I do speed/flaps as I fly the pattern.

What do you do for the "U" and "P" in a 152?

Check gear is down and welded.
Check prop pitch is fixed.

Actually when I was a student I did These days my actually
checklist is:

1. Seatbelts secure
2. Fuel both (not really necessary as I check this prior to takeoff too)
3. Mixture (as needed, normally full rich)
Old November 6th 03, 10:07 PM
Ron Natalie

"'Vejita' S. Cousin" wrote in message ...
In article ,
David Megginson wrote:
('Vejita' S. Cousin) writes:

Define 'full'? I mostly fly C152 and GUMP pretty much covers
everything. I do speed/flaps as I fly the pattern.

What do you do for the "U" and "P" in a 152?

2. Fuel both (not really necessary as I check this prior to takeoff too)

The engine is running isn't it? The only choices you have in the 152 are
BOTH and OFF. Frankly, we NEVER touched that lever.

Old November 6th 03, 10:21 PM
Teacherjh

What do you do for the "U" and "P" in a 152?

Check gear is down and welded.

And check that the parking brake is off.

Jose

Old November 6th 03, 11:48 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Newps wrote:

That's probably the only thing on the list required by regulation:

Yeah, that's my point. Who takes them off?

You never know. Actually, it doesn't matter. The reg requires you to notify
all passengers whether they have the belts on or not.