IFR: How many hours did it take you?

Old September 7th 04, 02:07 AM
Dan Truesdell

About 42 hours to get the rating (I think at about 230 hrs total time).
Calendar time was about 1 3/4 years (and three different
instructors). No sim time, but use an instructor for most of the
flights. Use a safety pilot for a a few hours toward the end. (Great
intro for VFR pilots to be able to sit in the front and see what
transpires.)

STICKMONKE wrote:
I'm trying to determine the average hours it took for you to get your IFR
rating. Just curious.

--
Remove "2PLANES" to reply.

Old September 7th 04, 03:07 AM
Rod Madsen

31.9 hours. I already had commercial pilot rating. Took 5 months.

Rod

Old September 7th 04, 04:47 AM
Stan Gosnell

"STICKMONKE" wrote in
:

I'm trying to determine the average hours it took for you
to get your IFR rating. Just curious.

I can't recall. Whatever number Uncle Sam specified. I do
recall that I had to go out & get some more hours, just because
we were required to fly x number of hours. I had passed my
checkride, but I still had to log however many hours the
syllabus called for. The military is lots of things, but
flexible ain't one of them, at least in many areas.

--
Regards,

Stan
Old September 7th 04, 12:30 PM
Dan Luke

"STICKMONKE" wrote:
I'm trying to determine the average hours it took for you to get your
IFR rating. Just curious.

About 90 hours of instruction and practice over 12 months.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 7th 04, 01:55 PM
Jeremy Lew

I got my IA rating after 7 months of traning and:
163 hrs total time
71 approaches
8.5 hrs actual
28.8 hrs hood (a bit of this was from primary training)
8.3 hrs simulator

Old September 7th 04, 03:11 PM
Michael

"STICKMONKE" wrote
I'm trying to determine the average hours it took for you to get your IFR
rating. Just curious.

I had just under 700 hours total time, and just a hair over 40 hours
instrument time. Of that, probably 15 hours were spent just burning
time with a safety pilot - flying XC trips I would have flown anyway
but under the hood. I did it in less than six months start to finish.

Michael
Old September 7th 04, 03:53 PM
Mike Rapoport

120TT, 15 training with CFI and then I flew from CA to GA and back under the
hood to get the balance of the required 40hrs.

Mike
MU-2

Old September 7th 04, 04:16 PM
PaulH

"STICKMONKE" wrote in message ...
I'm trying to determine the average hours it took for you to get your IFR
rating. Just curious.

Probably took me around 40-50 hours of dual, spread over a couple of
years. Would have been able to do it quicker if I had done a
concentrated course at the flight school (American Flyers) where I
finished up.
Old September 7th 04, 06:30 PM
Defly

wrote in message
I'm trying to determine the average hours it took for you to get your IFR
rating. Just curious.

5 months
26 flights including the check ride
35 hours including the check ride, but I had 7 hours of hood time previously
Old September 7th 04, 07:51 PM
Tom S.

"STICKMONKE" wrote in message
I'm trying to determine the average hours it took for you to get your IFR
rating. Just curious.

Started Sept. 9, 1978 at 236 hrs., finished on December 12th at 293hrs
(57hrs...of which 48.5 was training related. Three months and three days).

Tom

--
“Any drinking or substance abuse problems?”

“Mr. Memphis, believe me, it would be a lie if I didn’t tell you some years
back, Bob Lee had a problem with the bottle and had some wild times. He’s
always in pain, you know, because of the way he was hurt in the war. But I
believe Bob Lee has found himself in some way. All he wants from life is
freedom and to be left alone.”

“What about medals? Has he ever said anything about medals? Are medals
important to him?”

“To Bob Lee? Let me tell you something, son—were you in the war or
anything?”

“No sir, I wasn’t.”

“Well, son, the only people that are interested in medals are the ones that
are fixing to run for office some day. I went from one side of Burma to the
other with General Merrill’s Marauders in 1943 and 1944, and the only man I
ever saw who wanted a medal or cared about a medal later became the only
governor of Colorado to be impeached.

Stephen Hunter, “Point of Impact”, Bantam Books, 1993, p115