Question for Newps or McNicholl or other ATC Pro

Old November 13th 04, 10:28 PM
Bill Denton

Why don't you call ORD tower or Chicago Center and ask them if they need
that many.

"Budget_Dude" wrote in message
Wow .. that's a lot. Do they need that many? That's our tax money. Don't
we have to pay them all retirement then?

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
Casey Wilson wrote:
Can you tell me or point me to a reference for how many ATC
personnel are on the active rolls? I'm hoping for a number that

includes
towers, centers, and approach and departure -- the boys and girls that
talk to us pilots, admin and beauracracy excluded.

The FAA puts the controller workforce at 17,070 for FY '04.
The "bargaining unit" count is 14,736 (agrees with NATCA's
web page which says 15,000), so I suspect this number is probably
closer to what you are looking for.

Old November 13th 04, 11:22 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bill Denton" wrote in message

Why don't you call ORD tower or Chicago Center and ask them if they need
that many.

They'll probably tell you they're short, and they're most likely right.
High traffic facilities tend to be understaffed and low traffic facilities
tend to be overstaffed in the FAA.

Old November 14th 04, 12:39 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bill Denton" wrote in message

Y'all have a plane or two come through your shop everyday, don't you?

Sometimes more.

Old November 15th 04, 03:55 AM
Newps

BTIZ wrote:

each shift is not equal... when I was doing it.. we had 7 "Crews" in the
Center.
on any given day... two crews for the morning and 2 for the evening shift..
one crew for the midnight shift.. that equals 5, and of course, the other
two were on there days off..

We have a minimum staffing of 4 for the morning(6-2) and 4 for the
afternoon(1-9) Monday thru Friday. Saturday is 4 and 3. Sunday is 3
and 3. All of our mid shifts there is one controller scheduled, a
second controller can be added if there is enough staffing from the next
mornings shift. And there almost always is enough staffing. Probably
90-95% of our mid shifts are two man. They are very popular as it's an
easy 4 hours of work and four on the couch. Mid shifts have a start
time of 11 pm, but you can come in at 10. The second man may come in at
9 pm.
Old November 15th 04, 03:56 AM
Newps

Budget_Dude wrote:

Wow .. that's a lot. Do they need that many?

No, but the government has hamstrung itself with antiquated personnel
rules. I cannot be moved to fill positions at other facilities.

That's our tax money. Don't
we have to pay them all retirement then?

Of course.