Wing engineering?

Old September 1st 05, 09:14 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article . com,
"Lou" wrote:

Ok I've started it, I have built the 2 wing ribs the way it called for
in the plans if I were installing the retract gear. The only differnce
is that I will not be cutting the bottom of the ribs out for the gear
that won't be there. They seem to be extreemly strong, sorry I didn't
think of this for luggage.
Lou

What kind of plane is it?
Old September 2nd 05, 02:11 AM
Lou

http://www.homebuilt.org/kits/littner/champion.html plans

http://www.airplane4sale.com/Pioneer...c%20Sheet.html Almost
built

Old September 3rd 05, 04:13 PM
L.D.

Lou wrote:
Ok, a question or 2 about the wings. I'm building a wooden aircraft
that could go either fixed tri-gear or retract. I choose fixed seeing
how this is my first plane to build and I wanted to keep it simple. The
fuel was supposed to go behind the firewall but I choose to build tanks
in each wing where the wheels where to go.
What will this do to the loading of the aircraft? Does this effect
the useful load and how? Does it raise my useful load or lower it or
niether? Since the wings create lift, and the fuel was in the fuselage
and now in the wing should it screw up the center of gravity? Anybody,
Anybody, Anybody????

Run a weight and balance
Old September 3rd 05, 05:12 PM
Juan Jimenez

Lou wrote:
What will this do to the loading of the aircraft?

Fuel weighs more than air and wood. At full fuel your wing loading will
increase, with all that that entails.

Does this effect the useful load and how? Does it raise my useful load or
lower it or niether?

Neither. Your aircraft has a gross weight, does it not? Useful load remains
the same, difference between empty weight and gross weight.

Since the wings create lift, and the fuel was in the fuselage and now in
the wing should it screw up the center of gravity?

Come on, you're not telling me you're building an aircraft and don't know
how to do a CG calculation? What L.D. said, do a weight and balance
calculation!

Old September 3rd 05, 06:12 PM
John Ammeter

Juan Jimenez wrote:
Lou wrote:

What will this do to the loading of the aircraft?

Fuel weighs more than air and wood. At full fuel your wing loading will
increase, with all that that entails.

True, fuel is heavier than air or wood however there's a lot more to
this than weight of fuel. Assume you've got a fuel load of 120 pounds.
If that fuel was in the fuselage that weight is supported by the
wing attachment bolts. If that fuel was IN the wings, then the wing
attachment bolts are not supporting that extra 120 pounds in the
fuselage. This is the reason most larger aircraft are designed to carry
most of their fuel in the wing structure. Less stress on the wing
attachment bolts. The WING LOADING is the same assuming the weight of
the fuel remains the same. Wing Loading is simply the weight of the
aircraft divided by the area of the wing.

Old September 3rd 05, 11:00 PM
Juan Jimenez

"John Ammeter" wrote in message

Juan Jimenez wrote:
Lou wrote:

What will this do to the loading of the aircraft?

Fuel weighs more than air and wood. At full fuel your wing loading will
increase, with all that that entails.

True, fuel is heavier than air or wood however there's a lot more to this
than weight of fuel. Assume you've got a fuel load of 120 pounds. If that
fuel was in the fuselage that weight is supported by the wing attachment
bolts. If that fuel was IN the wings, then the wing attachment bolts are
not supporting that extra 120 pounds in the fuselage. This is the reason
most larger aircraft are designed to carry most of their fuel in the wing
structure. Less stress on the wing attachment bolts. The WING LOADING is
the same assuming the weight of the fuel remains the same. Wing Loading
is simply the weight of the aircraft divided by the area of the wing.

All true, except I thought he said he wanted to add fuel in the wings, not
remove the fuselage tank and put tanks in the wings...

Old September 4th 05, 12:18 AM
Lou

Yes, I want to add fuel to the wings and remove the fuselage tank..

Old September 4th 05, 01:54 AM
Juan Jimenez

Then you need to consider whether or not the wing and wing attach design are
up to the task.

"Lou" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, I want to add fuel to the wings and remove the fuselage tank..