Laser Pointer as Signal Device?

Old October 13th 05, 08:37 PM

Peter Duniho wrote:
wrote in message ...
Actually, Civil Air Patrol and the local search and rescue group
tested this, and they really are not effective for signaling.
If it is all you have, use it.

Much better: USAF 4"x6" or 5"x7" glass signal mirror, with sighting
hole.

Did you compare them to stainless steel mirrors?

Yes, both stainless steel and plastic mirrors. The glass was FAR superior.
We could see the glass mirrors when we could not see the others...
We had a line of people standing 100' apart signaling the airplane.
THe air crews stated universally "the glass mirror 'blew us out of
the cockpit it was so bright'".

I would expect the big problem with CDs is that they don't actually have a
very smooth surface. The light is reflected very unevenly. But I wonder if
one is comaparing them to the commonly found 2"x3" stainless steel mirrors
if the CD's don't come out to perform roughly the same or better (the extra
area compensating for uneven reflections).

Unfortuantely, neither the stainless nor CDs worked well.

Where does one find a 5"x7" glass signal mirror? The only ones I've seen
are the smaller 2"x3" ones. My quick Google search turned up plenty of
side-view mirrors for SUVs, some survival equipment that includes 5x7 tarps
or blankets, but no glass 5"x7" signal mirrors.

Well, you're correct... what I am seeing is 3x5 as the largest.

Google "Wilderness Institude of Survival Education" (WISE) they have
tested this stuff in the field and sell what works. WISE teaches the
survival course the Colorado Wing of Civil Air Patrol. I've taken the
course 3 times and done the winter campout once. I dramatically
changed the contents of my survival kit after that information and
experience. :-)

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard

--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com WEB http://users.frii.com/jer/
Old October 13th 05, 09:38 PM
Jose

Where does one find a 5"x7" glass signal mirror?

More to the point, Where does one find a 5"x7" glass signal mirror that
will survive an airplane crash?

Jose
Old October 13th 05, 11:45 PM
Peter Duniho

"Jose" wrote in message
.. .
Where does one find a 5"x7" glass signal mirror?

More to the point, Where does one find a 5"x7" glass signal mirror that
will survive an airplane crash?

I expect that if a person in the airplane survives well enough to use a
5"x7" mirror, that the 5"x7" could be stowed in the airplane in a
sufficiently well-protected spot for it too to survive the crash. Probably
just keeping it away from the sides of the fuselage, and not packed against
hard objects, would be sufficient.

However, sure enough at the web site of the company Jer/ mentions --
http://www.wisesurvival.com/wisesupplies.shtml -- there is only a 3"x5"
mirror. I'm still wondering where one might find any 5"x7" signal mirror,
crashworthy or otherwise.

Pete

Old October 13th 05, 11:51 PM
AES

In article Bxv3f.435623$_o.343983@attbi_s71,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

All this talk about idiots shining lasers in pilots eyes has me wondering if
we shouldn't add a laser pointer to the collection of knives, blankets, and
food? Anyone think one of these would work as a signaling device?

Answer is "Yes, probably work very well" -- esp. if you get one of the
green ones, though they're substantially more costly than the red ones
($150 vs $15).

Post your query to sci.optics or rec.skiing.backcountry and you'll
probably get more detailed answers.
Old October 14th 05, 12:05 AM
Morgans

"Jose" wrote in message
.. .
Where does one find a 5"x7" glass signal mirror?

More to the point, Where does one find a 5"x7" glass signal mirror that
will survive an airplane crash?

Inside of a sturdy metal case?

Ba-dum-dum g
--
Jim in NC

Old October 14th 05, 12:09 AM
Michelle P

Jay,
You may also want to consider:

http://www.acrelectronics.com/milita...000/ms2000.htm
If you go down at night they will most likely be looking for you with
Night vision goggles.
Michelle

Jay Honeck wrote:

With the days growing shorter, and the temperatures nipping at the freezing
level, we're starting to assemble our "survival kit" that we always keep in
the back of our aircraft in winter.

All this talk about idiots shining lasers in pilots eyes has me wondering if
we shouldn't add a laser pointer to the collection of knives, blankets, and
food? Anyone think one of these would work as a signaling device?

Or would it only get me arrested? (After rescue, of course...)

:-)

Old October 14th 05, 01:08 AM
Skywise

AES wrote in
:

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

All this talk about idiots shining lasers in pilots eyes has me
wondering if we shouldn't add a laser pointer to the collection of
knives, blankets, and food? Anyone think one of these would work as
a signaling device?

Answer is "Yes, probably work very well" -- esp. if you get one of the
green ones, though they're substantially more costly than the red ones
($150 vs $15).

Post your query to sci.optics or rec.skiing.backcountry and you'll
probably get more detailed answers.

I would add that if you do get a pointer, green is the most visible,
and keep it to a legal 5mW pointer. Pointers are limited to 5mW
for a reason - it's *extremely* unlikely to cause any eye damage.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes? Supernews Sucks!
Old October 14th 05, 01:29 AM
LWG

Jay, check out www.equipped.org. There are tests done on laser pointers
as signalling devices. There are also leads on aviation quality signalling
mirrors for about 10 bucks. Also, great articles on ditching.

Les

ink.net...

Old October 14th 05, 02:09 AM
Roger

Jer,

Could you share your survival kit contents list with us?

Roger @ MD43 C150E

Old October 14th 05, 02:45 AM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:01:37 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in
Bxv3f.435623$_o.343983@attbi_s71::

Anyone think one of these would work as a signaling device?

Why wouldn't you just use your handheld?