Air compressor question

Old September 17th 03, 05:18 PM
Rich S.

"wmbjk" wrote in message

"Rich S." wrote in message

4-1/2 HP 21 GALLON CAST IRON VERTICAL COMPRESSOR
4-1/2 peak horsepower; 120 volt, 60Hz

chuckle

Wayne

Can't be any good, 'cuz it don't cost enough - right?

Rich S.

Old September 17th 03, 08:08 PM
wmbjk

"Rich S." wrote in message
"wmbjk" wrote in message

"Rich S." wrote in message

4-1/2 HP 21 GALLON CAST IRON VERTICAL COMPRESSOR
4-1/2 peak horsepower; 120 volt, 60Hz

chuckle

Wayne

Can't be any good, 'cuz it don't cost enough - right?

Not at all. I was just chuckling about the 4.5 hp on 120 part. I've got
a shop full of HF stuff, and I resent it when the tool bigots make fun
of that equipment. Making fun of my low budget tools is *my* job. :-)

I checked on the compressor link you posted. Seems like a good deal, and
should be fine for most projects. Output is too small for much painting
though.

Wayne

Old September 17th 03, 08:59 PM
Rich S.

"wmbjk" wrote in message
Not at all. I was just chuckling about the 4.5 hp on 120 part. I've got
a shop full of HF stuff, and I resent it when the tool bigots make fun
of that equipment. Making fun of my low budget tools is *my* job. :-)

I checked on the compressor link you posted. Seems like a good deal, and
should be fine for most projects. Output is too small for much painting
though.

My apologies. I wouldn't buy one of those sight unseen, but the original
poster gave me the impression that he was shopping for the most bang for his
buck. I have a Craftsman 2-cylinder compressor which I got from my dad when
he died in 1978. It's still going strong, but I doubt that I will pass it
along to my son. He's already got a better one.

Up at the hangar, I have one which I assembled fifty years ago. A 2-cylinder
refrigeration compressor, a washing machine motor, and a tank welded up from
10" pipe. In the past I painted my '54 Corvette with it, but had to use
lacquer. You could only paint one fender and then drink beer until the
pressure came back up. Now I use it to blow up tires, a task well-suited to
its capacity.

Rich S.

Old September 17th 03, 11:47 PM
Dave Hyde

wmbjk wrote:

I was just chuckling about the 4.5 hp on 120 part.

Must be a Craftsman knockoff ;-)

Dave 'math challenged' Hyde

Old September 18th 03, 01:52 AM
Morgans

"Dave Hyde" wrote in message
wmbjk wrote:

I was just chuckling about the 4.5 hp on 120 part.

Must be a Craftsman knockoff ;-)

Dave 'math challenged' Hyde

They didn't give the amps. Maybe it is a 25 amp unit!

--
Jim ( when pigs fly) in NC

Old September 18th 03, 04:08 AM
Tim Ward

"Rich S." wrote in message
Check out item 47065-2VGA at http://www.harborfreight.com/.

4-1/2 HP 21 GALLON CAST IRON VERTICAL COMPRESSOR
Two Built-in Universal Quick Connect Couplers for Convenient Air Hose
Connection
Long-life oil lubricated compressor with precision machined cast iron

sleeve
Twin capacitor motor with thermal overload protection
Wheel kit with 6'' wheels and ergonomic for smooth portability
Oil level indicator window for easy maintenance
Reduced vibration with rubber foot stabilizers
4-1/2 peak horsepower; 120 volt, 60Hz
125 PSI max; 4.4 CFM @ 90 PSI; 11.1 CFM @ 40 PSI
Shipping weight: 152 lbs.
$169.99

Rich S.

I dunno beans about air compressors, so maybe someone else can explain it to
me:
The usual wall circuit is 15 Amperes, times 120 volts peak is 1800 watts.
746 watts in a horsepower, so how do you get 4.5 HP out of a wall socket?

Tim Ward

Old September 18th 03, 04:10 AM
John Ammeter

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 20:08:08 -0700, "Tim Ward"
wrote:

"Rich S." wrote in message
[...]

You DON'T.....

John Ammeter
Old September 18th 03, 04:34 AM
sleepy6

In article , says...

"Rich S." wrote in message
Check out item 47065-2VGA at
http://www.harborfreight.com/.

[...]

2 answers Tim. It is common to run seperate higher amperage circuits
to larger users. For instance, your electric range is probably on a
seperate circuit (but 220 volts). In a shop, it is common to have
seperate circuits to each of several higher powered machines.

The real kicker here is the way the ad is worded. They use the term
"peak horsepower" which could be defined anyway they want.... such as a
30 second life span They carefully fail to mention the recommended
breaker size or normal current drawn which would indicate the real
world horse power. It is much more effient to run larger motors on
220 volts so you can be certain that this motor is actually much lower
in real horsepower.

Old September 18th 03, 04:55 AM
Ed Wischmeyer

The usual wall circuit is 15 Amperes, times 120 volts peak is 1800 watts.
746 watts in a horsepower, so how do you get 4.5 HP out of a wall socket?

If it were DC, you'd be correct. AC has more or less sinusoidal voltage
and current, not necessarily peaking at the same time, and a whole bunch
of other stuff I used to know about.

Ed Wischmeyer
Old September 18th 03, 05:13 AM
Tim Ward

"Ed Wischmeyer" wrote in message
The usual wall circuit is 15 Amperes, times 120 volts peak is 1800

watts.
746 watts in a horsepower, so how do you get 4.5 HP out of a wall

socket?

If it were DC, you'd be correct. AC has more or less sinusoidal voltage
and current, not necessarily peaking at the same time, and a whole bunch
of other stuff I used to know about.

Ed Wischmeyer

Yep, but that makes it worse, not better. I'd expect RMS power to be about
70 % of that 1800 watts.
That's about 1300 watts, or less than 2 HP.

Tim Ward