The Worst Airliner Landing, Ever?

Old April 24th 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default The Worst Airliner Landing, Ever?

On Apr 24, 8:24*am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
As many of you know, I host one of the largest collections of aviation
videos on the internet. *(See it hehttp://www.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm) *As a result, I receive a
LOT of videos, sent in from all over the world, and have seen all manner of
landings on film.

This one I received a few days ago, however, must rank as the worst airliner
landing ever recorded on video. *If nothing else it serves as a testament to
the forgotten aircraft engineers who put their sweat into designing a very
tough little jet.

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...-22-LondonCity...

You need to get youtube.com. This video has been floating around for
about 6 months.

-Robert
Old April 24th 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Panic" wrote in
:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
As many of you know, I host one of the largest collections of
aviation videos on the internet. (See it he
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm ) As a result, I
receive a LOT of videos, sent in from all over the world, and have
seen all manner of landings on film.

This one I received a few days ago, however, must rank as the worst
airliner landing ever recorded on video. If nothing else it serves
as a testament to the forgotten aircraft engineers who put their
sweat into designing a very tough little jet.

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...eos/2008-4-22-

LondonCityB
adLanding_BAE146.wmv

(If that wraps wrong, try: http://tinyurl.com/556h2d )

Here's the commentary from the fellow who submitted the video, Geno
Becker:

"For those who want to fly to London City Airport, a cross wind adds
to the excitement (in addition to the short runway and steep
approach). The airport itself is located on the river Thames in
downtown London, and gives business people very quick access to the
city. The Millennium Dome is in the left side of the picture."

"The runway is only 1199 meters long, which is very short in airline
runway terms, thus it is only suitable for aircraft with good STOL
(short take-off and landing) performance. It also has a 5.5 degree
glide slope, as opposed to the conventional 3 degree slope to most
runways. The BAE 146 is the main jet type to operate into the place.
Most other aircraft are turbo props etc."

"When doing the approach you have to be fully configured, i.e., gear
down, full flaps and speed brakes before you commence descent from
3000 feet...or you won't get stopped before reaching the far end of
the runway. If it doesn't look or feel right it is generally a good
idea to give it away and have another attempt. For whatever reason,
this flight crew decided to press, but they DID make the first turn
off the runway. If nothing else, it's a testament to the toughness of
the BAE 146 airframe. The pilots handled it like a dirtbike!"

You can frequently make the first turn off if you are willing to
absorb your forward momentum energy with the impact!!!!

I have no doubt you actually do this on almost every landing.

Bertie
Old April 24th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Panic" wrote in
:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

Ooops! Sory, friendly fire.

Disregard.

Bertie
Old April 24th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Buttman wrote in news:fuqfjo$hee$1
@registered.motzarella.org:

It kind of looks like it had a belly strike on the way down...

Expert on those are you?

Bertie
Old April 24th 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Apr 24, 9:24*am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
[...]

I'm surprised the passengers didn't report spinal damage...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Watch the verticle and horizontal stabilizer deform on the initial
hit, then it occilates for a few more cycles. There ain't NO WAY I
would fly in that airframe, no matter how good they claim they made
repairs.... On a side note, the pilots need additional training, they
couldn't even kick it straight to the runway at touchdown, or even a
few seconds afterward.

Ben
Old April 24th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

You need to get youtube.com. This video has been floating around for
about 6 months.

Nothing against YouTube -- I like it and view it occasionally -- but when it
comes to aviation videos they tend a bit too much toward the "train-wreck"
attitude. Lot's of explosions and fire, with too little explanation.

Our site is different because of the knowledgeable commentary that
accompanies many of the videos. For instance, go to the "Military" section,
and view the F-14A Tomcat explosion video. Then read commentary from
several expert sources, including from the pilot himself, all sent to me for
inclusion on the site.

As a GA pilot my knowledge-base is somewhat limited when it comes to
heavy-metal, so years ago I recruited Tony Clay, a former RAF pilot, to be
the site's resident expert. Viewers can email Tony directly with questions
or comments, and he will respond directly, or he will point them in a
direction where they may find the answers they seek. He's been an
invaluable source of aeronautical information over the years, and viewers
worldwide owe him a debt of gratitude (as do I).

The page has grown far beyond anything I ever intended (it was *supposed* to
be merely an aid to navigation for our fly-in guests!), but it's been a lot
of fun and very educational.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 24th 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Apr 25, 7:00*am, " wrote:
[...]

The wing can deflect much more than that in flight in heavy
turbulence. The damage will be to the points of attachment of the gear
I'd guess.

Cheers.
Old April 24th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

You need to get youtube.com. This video has been floating around for
about 6 months.

Nothing against YouTube -- I like it and view it occasionally -- but
when it comes to aviation videos they tend a bit too much toward the
"train-wreck" attitude. Lot's of explosions and fire, with too little
explanation.

Yeah, nothing like your "Worst airliner landing ever" post.

Fjukkwit.

Bertie

Old April 25th 08, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

"Jay Honeck" wrote
Here's a copy you can save:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...eos/MD-80.mpeg
--

Here's a painful one to watch. Good vid to show students about why airspeed
is important.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lhUO4pdGCf8

Old April 25th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Mike Isaksen wrote:

Here's a painful one to watch. Good vid to show students about why airspeed
is important.
It's a walkaway, but maybe not fly away:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lhUO4pdGCf8

That looks like a classic porpoise. I'll have to admit, I've never seen an
airliner do one, though they're not uncommon if you hang around a GA airport
with a lot of training activity. On GA planes, the nose gear will usually
collapse on the third or fouth bounce.

Airspeed is not the only key to avoiding one of these. They're usually
entered by touching down with a flat or nose low attitude. Trying to force
the airplane onto the runway before it's ready is good way to get one started.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)