asymetric warfare

Old December 22nd 03, 03:13 AM
Fred J. McCall

ess (phil hunt) wrote:

:On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:45:56 GMT, Derek Lyons wrote:
(phil hunt) wrote:
:The issue is the massive
:amount of R&D needed to develop the algorithms the programmers will
:implement to analyze the output of the sensor.
:
:Do you know anything about programming? If you did, you'd know that
:developing algorithms is what programmers do.
:
:Do *you* know anything about programming?
:
:I've already told you, it's my profession. Now, are you going to
:anwser my question: have you every done any programming, and if so,
:how much and in what languages?

That you ask "in what languages" indeed indicates that you are a
PROGRAMMER (rather than, say, a software or systems engineer) and, as
such, have very little clue about what is being discussed here.
Computer languages are like candy; when you need another one, you just
pluck it out of the bowl and eat it.

How much? I stopped counting a long, long time ago. The system I'm
about to field is something like a quarter of a million lines of code
(yes, I had help) on a Windows box. Also done work on VMS and various
forms of Unix, as well as assorted micro-clones (like OS9) and
embedded stuff. Languages range from assembly through Fortran
(various flavours), Pascal, Ada, C, C++, Visual C++ (which is sort of
like C++, but larded with megaliths of Microsoft Magic Crap), Java.
I've done 'toys' (where 'toy' is a systems smaller than, say, 50k
SLOC) in LISP, Scheme, SNOBOL IV, FORTH, BASIC, Visual Basic (see
Visual C++, above, for relationship to BASIC), Python, Perl. I'm sure
I'm leaving a bunch out that aren't springing to mind right away.

:Failure to answer will be considered as evidence of trolldom.

So, if he fails to answer, you're a troll?

Of course, if he does answer, then I guess that leaves you as merely a
fool.

territory."
--G. Behn
Old December 22nd 03, 03:24 AM
Dionysios Pilarinos

"Anthony Garcia" wrote in message
. com...
There is a reason I included the SMArt artillery round. It's advanced

sensor
will detect and target armored vehicles (MBT's, AIFV's, APC's, etc.)

while
"loitering" over enemy positions. Depending on the target, different

sensors
can be used that can target different target characteristics. The SMArt
155mm artillery shell is already in service, so the technology for

fusing
such sensors to UAV's (like the Harpy) is surely not a decade away.

The question you should be asking is just who are these people who have
these sensors, the software, and the associated hardware to build such
weapons?

Or sell components for those weapons...

Certainly the Russians and Europeans could do such weapons,
China, India, Israel, South Africa, and at a stretch perhaps some South
American nations 'might' be capable of attempting such weapons.

Anyone can attempt such weapons (even non-state entities). If you lack local
resources, the question is how easily can you obtain the skills or
technology you lack.

Being
capable of attempting such a project does not imply success nor does it
account for changes in behavior of the major powers (read U.S.)

If someone (foe) fielded such a weapon, I'm sure the "major powers" (the
manufacturers that can sell the counter weapon) would change behavior
(priorities).

Numerous states have or had embarked on chemical warfare and ballistic
missile technology (and not quite "successfully") and that surely impacted
strategic and tactical decision-making.

As to
being a decade away, ask the Indians about how easy it is to develop
cruise missiles, fighters or ships. They are credible, who else is?

Whatever problems they have seem to be quickly resolved when the skill and
technology they lack (or have serious problems with) is acquired from abroad
(for example, jet engines, MBT chassis, etc.)

A UAV is not an expensive proposition when you take away every aspect of
human control after launch. It can also be deployed in such a fashion

that
few soldiers are needed in their transporation, targeting, and launch.

For example, Turkey recently purchased roughly 100 Harpy's. While the

cost
has not been disclosed (at least to any sources I have access to), it is

not
considered to be "prohibitive" or even "substantial". A single
truck-transporter can carry 18 such weapons in canisters, and a battery

of 3
can launch 54 of them simultaneously.

A presumption you make is that the Patriot is the weapon of choice. It

How many practical (fielded) choices would the US have against Harpy-like
weapon systems (UAV's that autonomously target ground forces)?

may be, then again perhaps a van with lot's of generators and an array of
antennae might be the counter measure.

How so? How would you counter the SMArt shell today?

Perhaps the counter to the Harpies
are some alternative sensor fuzed shell. Maybe, a newer missile (Patriot
light if you will) that is much 'dumber' and lower performing hence can be
fired in greater numbers is the answer. Your proposition makes sense if
you assume your target (the U.S.) stands still. It doesn't.

Developing and deploying a new missile is not something that can be
accomplished in a day. New weapons that autonomously select and destroy
their targets are here, some on the form of artillery shells, UAV's, or
mines. Their sensors work as differently as their delivery method.

Does a fielded system exist to effectively counter such weapons? How do you
counter a Harpy? What about the SMArt? What about an unknown weapon that
shares some properties from both?

But it does exist in the form of an artillery shell that can be fired 40

km
away from its target (in the case of weapons against armored vehicles).

Why
not extend that range to perhaps 100+ km by fusing it onto the body of a

UAV
(like the one used against radar transmissions)?

Name the nations producing sensor fuzed munitions. Certainly the list of
nations capable of 'developing' them may be large. But I must reiterate
that deciding to develop a munition is not the same as fielding it.

How "high-tech" is the SMArt (with its sensor) considered, and how many
countries would be denied access to it (in the form of a procurement)?

[snip --- about use of AA missiles and MANPADS against UAV's and the like]

Perhaps I'm not informed on the subject, but how many UAV's or CM's have
been shot down by heat-seeking MANPADS (ever)? Some UAV's have been lost

in
the Balkans, Iraq, and Afghanistan due to ground fire (AAA), but I've

never
heard of a confirmed loss due to a MANPAD.

Perhaps, it is largely because UAV's are NOT usually flying low and slow;
we do not always know what and how many such UAV's are shot down and
because for the U.S. at least it has not been a problem that needed
solving.

Which is my point. That a large percentage of UAV's are not lost on their
missions.

Just who has used these UAV's against the U.S. and how do you know they
did not get rendered ineffective (jammed, shot down, performance degraded,
control van attacked, etc.)

I'm not looking at a historical example of a UAV used against the US. I'm
looking at how UAV's in general have fared against AD, and developments in
sensors that can independently identify their target.

For what it's worth, U.S. UAV's have been acknowleged to have been shot
down in Iraq and Afghanistan, they probably were shot down in former
Yugoslavia, the Israeli's have probably lost quite a few over Syria and
Lebanon and the Indians and Pakistanians regularly lose UAV's. In my
opinion they do not represent a golden BB, they are simply another tool.

Agreed. The original poster was however asking if they (UAV's) can be used
in a massive attack. I believe that developments in sensors and UAV
technology certainly indicate that such a weapon can (or will) be
introduced.

[snip]

How difficult was it for the Iraqi's to know the general geographic

position
of the US troops? Turning on CNN being one easy way. Imagine if they

could
send self-targeting systems into the general location from 40 km away

(using
SMArt), what the US position would be. Obviously the Air Force would

have
something to target (those nice artillery pieces), so that could not

last
for long. But what if some regular-looking trucks a few hundred km's

away
were achieving the same result? In that scenario, all I can do is

remember
the "Scud hunt" from GW1.

It was difficult enough that in GW1 Iraqi's regularly had difficulty
accurately hitting U.S. forces when they did shoot.

That is because the Iraqi's used untrained conscripts, and their weapons
used inferior sensors. Why shouldn't such a country use systems with minimal
soldier interaction, with a large range, and with the ability to
autonomously identify and kill its target? This is not so much a "US vs.
Iraq" statement, but rather one that recognizes that some countries cannot
be successful by employing existing convention weapon systems due to the
technological gap that exists between then and their adversary.

Easy enough that
though a few SCUDS and their ilk have caused damage, they really haven't
been an effective military weapon except in those cases where they forced
attrition through diverted forces due to political realities (i.e. keep
Israel out of the war.)

Once again agreed. Which is yet another reason why some nations (that
currently invest resources in ballistic missile technology) could or should
instead invest in the types of weapons discussed.

If it were easy to hit troops with self-targeting systems don't you think
the U.S. would be doing it already?

There are a number of reasons why the US does not use such systems
(tactical, strategic, political, and diplomatic). That however has not
prevented other countries from developing and fielding self-targeting
systems.

---
In principle, yes, such weapons could be developed. That doesn't mean
however that any given country has all the bits and pieces, be it
software, hardware, experience or otherwise. Also the counter to an
asymmetric weapon can easily be just as assymetric.

Old December 22nd 03, 03:47 AM
Fred J. McCall

pervect wrote:

:From my POV, the key point that I missed in my earlier post (the one
:you just replied to, there have been a bunch since then) is that GPS
:is spread spectrum.

Which really doesn't buy you much in the way of security. DS-SS
merely makes it easier for the receivers to do ranging functions.

:Of course this has spawned yet another argument, where I point out
:that if you know what the satellites are supposed to be sending, use
f encryption (rather than spread spectrum) would be unlikely to
rovide much security. Other people have suggested that "good codes"
:are harder to break than this. I haven't gotten around yet to
ointing out that all you'd have to do given that you would already
:have the plaintext because you know what the satellites have to be
:sending is to broadcast a signal that would provide a "lookup table".
:Then someone else could point out that this would slow the response
:time of the GPS system down. Then I could say, yes, but is that
:really significant. And the argument could go on for quite some
:time....

It's actually easier than this (since figuring out what the plaintext
ought to be is NOT as trivial as you make out). Just use DGPS and
hope they don't take down your differential station(s).

--
"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute."
-- Charles Pinckney
Old December 22nd 03, 06:37 AM
Dionysios Pilarinos

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message
. ..
There is a reason I included the SMArt artillery round. It's advanced

sensor
will detect and target armored vehicles (MBT's, AIFV's, APC's, etc.)

while
"loitering" over enemy positions. Depending on the target, different

sensors
can be used that can target different target characteristics. The SMArt
155mm artillery shell is already in service, so the technology for

fusing
such sensors to UAV's (like the Harpy) is surely not a decade away.

SMArt is a contemporary of the (since cancelled?) SADARM. Both are
terminally guided munitions--emphasis on TERMINALLY. A far cry from being

an
autonomous hunter/killer system capable of finding a target cluster and

then
engaging it. You can add the BAT and even the Skeet terminally guided
submunitions to this same category, and the US has only recently fielded
cluster bombs capable of delivering these (including WCMD variant--CBU-105
IIRC). Great terminal killers--incapable of being wide area hunter killers
as this scheme posits.

Define what you mean by "terminal killer". The SMArt (actually the
submunition) is delivered to the general location of enemy forces after
being expelled from an artillery piece some 40km away. The artillery piece
or battery that fired the round made the initial targeting based on
information gathered. How would all this change if you changed the delivery
vehicle of the submunition?

The aerial vehicle (UAV) would deliver the submunition to a specific area
(much like the arty shell does). Instead of loitering for a limited time (as
the SMArt does while it descends with a parachute), the UAV could follow a
programmed pattern until a target is identified.

Obviously some work would be required in fusing the UAV and SMArt (or
whatever else) sensors, and writing the software that would make it work
effectively. I'm just saying that the technology is currently present where
this would not require 10 years to develop.

A UAV is not an expensive proposition when you take away every aspect of
human control after launch. It can also be deployed in such a fashion

that
few soldiers are needed in their transporation, targeting, and launch.

For example, Turkey recently purchased roughly 100 Harpy's. While the

cost
has not been disclosed (at least to any sources I have access to), it is

not
considered to be "prohibitive" or even "substantial". A single
truck-transporter can carry 18 such weapons in canisters, and a battery

of
3
can launch 54 of them simultaneously.

Again, these are not autonomous systems you bring up.

The Harpy sure is. And all I'm saying is that fusing other sensors to a
vehicle like the Harpy (to allow the targeting of MBT's, APC's, etc.) would
not require 10 years.

If you expect the
average second/third world foe to be able to (a) develop a UAV that is
capable of performing this kind of autonomous attack,

They can also acquire them (or certain technologies needed). Most countries
in the world do not have a serious problem gaining access to these (often
times commercially available) systems. Not everyone is facing an arms
embargo.

(b) Make it small
enough to be survivable and useable in a field environment, while also
packing in all of the sensors and computers it needs to get there, and
weapons it needs to be lethal once it arrives,

How easy do you think it would be for any military to find and destroy the
Harpy's that the Turkish forces have in their arsenal? I'm honestly quite
curious to know how you would counter such a threat (which in this case is
directed only against AD and surface ships).

(c) Have it retain a
significant degree of survivability in the face of US defensive systems,

and

The point of the original poster was that if you can deploy them on a
massive scale, you might not have to worry about the defensive systems
(which even if effective would be overwhelmed).

(d) do all of this over the next ten years; then we are just going to have
to disagree, because I don't see all of that coming together until hell
freezes over.

So what horizon do you believe in? Obviously UCAV's are operational as we
speak, so what will it take to remove the human operator from the terminal
guidance of the system (and I say terminal because I will assume that
auto-pilot takes care of post-launch navigation and piloting)?

But it does exist in the form of an artillery shell that can be fired 40

km
away from its target (in the case of weapons against armored vehicles).

Why
not extend that range to perhaps 100+ km by fusing it onto the body of a

UAV
(like the one used against radar transmissions)?

TERMINAL guidance only!

Target identification need only be "terminal" in nature. We are talking
about UAV's that would be directed to fly to a location and loiter until a
target is presented.

They do not employ systems capable navigating the
delivery vehicle from launch point to attack point (preferably in a
survivable mode),

There are many UAV's and CM's that do just that (with no immediate human
interaction).

of scanning wide areas, detecting a target, classifying
it, deciding to attack it, and then executing said attack, OK? BIG
difference from what the original poster posited.

The sensor (like that in the SMArt submunition) does NOT need to scan a wide
area. The UAV's flight pattern will determine the areas the sensor would be
exposed to.

How many Patriots are used against incoming artillery shells? Imagine

that
instead of artillery shells you have hundreds of self-guided UAV's. Even
against a Harpy battery (54 incoming vehicles that will loiter until

they
detonate), what exactly can a Patriot battery do? Now imagine a few

hundred
more, some targeting AD and others armored vehicles or ships.

The likely expeditionary corps will include some 500-1000 Patriots in its
ABL, with some one-third of those ready for immediate use. Add in another
boatload of Stingers mounted on everything from Avenger and BSFV to the
traditional MANPADS mount. What that adds up to is anything but asymetric
warfare--it is just about the opposite, with the foe trying to out-tech

the
US--bad move IMO.

Figthing the US is a "bad move IMO"!
But regardless of that fact, someone out there might just try to do so.
Developing such autonomous weapons appears to be a more logical decision
than those reached (like for example ballistic missiles and WMD).

As to arty--let 'em fire. First rounds get picked up by the Firefinder
radars, and before their first volley has arrived the MLRS and ATACMS are

on
the way towards smothering their firing locations. The intelligent foe

does
NOT want to get into an arty duel with US forces--ask the Iraqis who tried
that during ODS (those that survived the counter-battery effort, that is).

It is not suicide when they cannot detect you and when you are out of range
(of their guns). Certainly the available arty out there (plus the required
expenditures) does make their use SUICIDAL against any enemy that employs
fire-finding radars and weapon systems with longer ranges. This is exactly
why an autonomous CM-type weapon system would be better (being outside the
range of both radar and even the ATACM).

Perhaps I'm not informed on the subject, but how many UAV's or CM's have
been shot down by heat-seeking MANPADS (ever)? Some UAV's have been lost

in
the Balkans, Iraq, and Afghanistan due to ground fire (AAA), but I've

never
heard of a confirmed loss due to a MANPAD.

I doubt we know exactly what system has accounted for many of the various
UAV losses over the years. Suffice it to say thet the RIM-92 Stinger is
capable of engaging both UAV's and CM's (there has been a fair amount of
work here in the US on developing the TTP's for use of Avenger

specifically
in the anti-CM role).

I have serious reservations about the use of the Stinger (or other MANPAD
systems)against UAV's or other small low-flying targets. How much time is
the target exposed to your sensor, and how quickly can you acquire it? It's
hard enough against helo's, so I don't think they'd be too effective against
a massive UAV/CM-type assault.

I'm not trying to get into the mind of every despot in the world.

However,
many of them invest time and money on conventional programs (like

ballistic
missiles). Compared to a ballistic missile system, wouldn't a

sensor-fused
CM be a better investment?

Not if they lack the ISR system to be able to get it into the right target
box where it can release its SFW's,

How much intelligence is needed to have a UAV fly a pattern in some general
geographic area? If you know the enemy and his supply chain is X km from a
given point (say your friendly positions) why not send out scores of the
weapons to fly patterns over the area, picking off any target that matches
your search criteria?

and that is not a very large footprint
that it has to hit. Not if they lack the ability to give the CM a pretty
good chance of survival. And most assuredly not if it is to be, as this
theory was posited, an autonomous attack system--that is just beyond the
capabilities of likely threats during the near-term period under
consideration.

I'll have to respectfully disagree.

Irregulars are not going to stop the advance of any regular army (their
mission is quite different). What the army of a country needs to do is

target the enemy formations. As was proved once again in Iraq, it is
suicidal to stand up against a better equipped and trained military in

order
to fight a "conventional" war. The speed, accuracy and lethality ( the
"punch") cannot be countered with 1960's defensive technology. You can
however try to expose any weakness that might exist in the defenses of

your
superior opponent (much like the Iraqi irregulars tried doing).

Sorry, but you are missing the whole concept of asymetric warfare. What

you,
and the opriginal poster, are proposing is attacking the US military's
strengths, not its vulnerabilities--that is not asymetric. It is, however,

good way to acheive martyrdom.

Who says that the US's (or a modern army's) defenses are not a
vulnerability? Who exactly was the last foe to have really tested them out?

How is using irregulars to destroy positions and forces (away from the
"front lines") different from using the kind of weapons we are discussing?
How can you call one "asymmetric" and exclude the other one simply because
it utilizes technology and not martyrs?

How difficult was it for the Iraqi's to know the general geographic

position
of the US troops? Turning on CNN being one easy way. Imagine if they

could
send self-targeting systems into the general location from 40 km away

(using
SMArt), what the US position would be. Obviously the Air Force would

have
something to target (those nice artillery pieces), so that could not

last
for long. But what if some regular-looking trucks a few hundred km's

away
were achieving the same result? In that scenario, all I can do is

remember
the "Scud hunt" from GW1.

You just don't get it--you send all of the SMArt's you want at the

"general
position" of a ground unit and you will most likely succeed in (a)

littering
the desert with a lot of wasted SFW's, and

You would if you were using the SMArt as it exists today. Of course it
"loiters" from the point its chute deploys until it hits the ground. What if
it were able to loiter for hours, scanning hundreds of miles?

(b) open your delivery forces up
to immediate, and lethal, return fires.

How would you identify where a UAV was launched from? Minimal heat
signature, non-ballistic track, difficulty in radar-tracking (from AWACS or
ground radar), non-distinct launch platform.

SFW's have to be fired into a
position directly over the desired target--not 500 meters this way, or 500
meters that way--right over it. In realtime. Against a moving US force.

Use
CNN all you want and it is not going to solve those problems.

It's not "directly over" the desired target. And obviously the various
weapons I have mentioned differ due to their sensors and delivery method.
However, have a UAV fly a pattern over "predicted" locations in a general
geographic area you know forces are present in. Soon enough, that sensor
will lock onto something.

Brooks