How much fuel do you prefer to carry?

Old August 24th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_3_]

Default How much fuel do you prefer to carry?

wrote in message
news
Bob F. wrote:
"george" wrote in message
On Aug 24, 12:03 am, "Bob F." wrote:

Instead of asking more questions, please answer him directly? That
is:
"Name an aircraft that will be overweight with a full load of fuel even
with
only the required pilot(s) aboard."

Let's see
Two morbidly obese pilots in a C152.
There are some 300 pound plus people out there

I don't think the C152 requires 2 pilots and we are talking about
standard
pilot weights. Can you think of a correct answer?

"Standard pilot weight" wasn't part of the original discussion.
--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

....and we weren't talking about "two morbidly obese pilots" either.

Old August 24th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Aug 22, 6:05?pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
Q. What could make one overweight?

A. Too much fuel.

I don't know of any aircraft that cannot remain within weight limitations with
a full load of fuel, if the payload is reduced sufficiently. ?It wouldn't make
sense to design an aircraft that is overweight when empty with full fuel.

I can think of a reason. But I guess if you don't know about it, it
doesn't exist?

One of which might be that the wife would be highly ****ed if one were
to take of to Vegas for three days solo just so the tanks would be
full on take off.

It would never occur to mx that in the real world reducing the payload
by leaving the wife behind is not a viable option nor that in the
real world all people aren't FAA standard weight.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old August 24th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Aug 24, 9:08 am, "Bob F." wrote:
"george" wrote in message

On Aug 24, 12:03 am, "Bob F." wrote:

Instead of asking more questions, please answer him directly? That is:
"Name an aircraft that will be overweight with a full load of fuel even
with
only the required pilot(s) aboard."

Let's see
Two morbidly obese pilots in a C152.
There are some 300 pound plus people out there

I don't think the C152 requires 2 pilots and we are talking about standard
pilot weights. Can you think of a correct answer?

Okay 1 400 pounder.
I'd go look up the heaviest person living but he'd not be able to get
into an aeroplane

Old August 24th 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_3_]

"george" wrote in message
On Aug 24, 9:08 am, "Bob F." wrote:
"george" wrote in message

On Aug 24, 12:03 am, "Bob F." wrote:

Instead of asking more questions, please answer him directly? That
is:
"Name an aircraft that will be overweight with a full load of fuel
even
with
only the required pilot(s) aboard."

Let's see
Two morbidly obese pilots in a C152.
There are some 300 pound plus people out there

I don't think the C152 requires 2 pilots and we are talking about
standard
pilot weights. Can you think of a correct answer?

Okay 1 400 pounder.
I'd go look up the heaviest person living but he'd not be able to get
into an aeroplane

First of all, I'll bet he wouldn't even be able to fit in a C152. Second of
all, It would be nice if someone would take a serious shot at answering the
question. I answered the OP question a long time ago. We are on a
tangential question now.
"Name an aircraft that will be overweight with a full load of fuel even
with only the required pilot(s) aboard." Please don't take a Bill Clinton
position and ask for a definition for each of the words. You know exactly
what this question is asking.

Old August 24th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Bob F. wrote:

wrote in message
news
Bob F. wrote:
"george" wrote in message
On Aug 24, 12:03 am, "Bob F." wrote:

Instead of asking more questions, please answer him directly? That
is:
"Name an aircraft that will be overweight with a full load of fuel even
with
only the required pilot(s) aboard."

Let's see
Two morbidly obese pilots in a C152.
There are some 300 pound plus people out there

I don't think the C152 requires 2 pilots and we are talking about
standard
pilot weights. Can you think of a correct answer?

"Standard pilot weight" wasn't part of the original discussion.
--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

...and we weren't talking about "two morbidly obese pilots" either.

OK, since you asked and not a certain other person...

First the ground rule: we are talking about the real world.

Take the Titan Tornado I which has a full fuel payload of 315 lb.

That's for the factory built airplane with nothing other than the
basic stuff required to fly.

Home builts almost never come out under weight and are almost allways
over the factory numbers when finished.

Let's say it is only 15 lb over the factory numbers and we are down
to 300 lb.

Add a nav/com, panel mount GPS, antennas, wiring, circuit breakers,
etc. to make it usefull and throw in position and strobe lights so
the thing is visible on hazy days, a few other options like the vent
kit, stabilizor and stabilator tips, electrical system to run the
avionic and you can easily add another 50 lb.

Now you are down to 250 lb.

Fully dressed to fly and before breakfast, holding my flight bag with
all the junk like the backup handheld, headset, spare batteries, charts,
etc. I weight 250 lb and according to my doctor am about 15 lb over what
my weight should be, so we're not talking about a morbidly obese pilot.

So, all I need to do is have a three egg omelete for breakfast and
a cup of coffee and I would be over max gross in this airplane.

I am by no means the heaviest pilot I know nor is the Tornado the only
airplane with a payload of only a few hundred pounds.

However, this whole discussion is pointless to the orignal subject of
off loading payload to be under gross.

Often offloading payload is not an option.

Not to mention most wives and girlfriends would object to being called
payload, not that mx would know anything about wives or girlfriends.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old August 24th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_3_]

wrote in message
Bob F. wrote:

wrote in message
news
Bob F. wrote:
"george" wrote in message
On Aug 24, 12:03 am, "Bob F." wrote:

[...]

Good response. although we have not identified an aircraft the satisfies the
question since items were added in your real world scenario that preclude
this." No problem. I understand your answer.

--
Regards, Bob F.

Old August 24th 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

writes:

"Standard pilot weight" wasn't part of the original discussion.

Which pilot weight was, then, and why?
Old August 24th 08, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Aug 24, 11:57 am, george wrote:
On Aug 24, 9:08 am, "Bob F." wrote:

"george" wrote in message

On Aug 24, 12:03 am, "Bob F." wrote:

Instead of asking more questions, please answer him directly? That is:
"Name an aircraft that will be overweight with a full load of fuel even
with
only the required pilot(s) aboard."

Let's see
Two morbidly obese pilots in a C152.
There are some 300 pound plus people out there

I don't think the C152 requires 2 pilots and we are talking about standard
pilot weights. Can you think of a correct answer?

Okay 1 400 pounder.
I'd go look up the heaviest person living but he'd not be able to get
into an aeroplane

Just looked up the W&B for a C152.
If the pilot weighs in at 300 and the aircraft has a full fuel load
he's off scale
Old August 24th 08, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 24, 9:08 am, "Bob F." wrote:

"george" wrote in message

On Aug 24, 12:03 am, "Bob F." wrote:

Instead of asking more questions, please answer him directly? That is:
"Name an aircraft that will be overweight with a full load of fuel even
with
only the required pilot(s) aboard."

Let's see
Two morbidly obese pilots in a C152.
There are some 300 pound plus people out there

I don't think the C152 requires 2 pilots and we are talking about standard
pilot weights. Can you think of a correct answer?

Okay 1 400 pounder.
I'd go look up the heaviest person living but he'd not be able to get
into an aeroplane

Just looked up the W&B for a C152.
If the pilot weighs in at 300 and the aircraft has a full fuel load
he's off scale

Which really isn't that much for a tall, big boned individual with
cloths, a flight bag, backup handheld, spare batteries, headset, AFD,
charts, a bottle of water, etc.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.