Iowa Aviation Weather...en Espanol

Old February 16th 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ktbr

Default Iowa Aviation Weather...en Espanol

Jose wrote:
Benjamin Franklin stated that "those willing to trade some freedom
for the promise of security deserve neither freedom nor security".

1: I wasn't talking about security.

Yes you are, but you just don't realize it. You advocate the government
providing for the various 'needs' of certain groups thus providing the
security that those needs will be met for them, over an above 'national'
security from attack from an enemy.

There is the security of 'universal' health care, education, housing,
Social [sic] Security, free prescriptions and yes, even translations of
various information services into their native language etc. etc. These
are all forms of security people come to _expect_ to be provided for
them with littel or no effort on their part.

I'll take freedom ... the freedom to stop participating in the Social
Security system and get all the money I have paid in back so I could be
allowed to invest the way I want to. I assure you I'd be much better off
in the long run. But alas, I have no such freedom to do that.

I can see this entire concept of freedom is alien to you so there
is no use discussing further.
Old February 16th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Yes you are, but you just don't realize it. You advocate the government
providing for the various 'needs' of certain groups thus providing the
security that those needs will be met for them, over an above 'national'
security from attack from an enemy.

I not only am not talking about that, I have no idea what that means.
We're talking about translating, probably by machine, probably from
METAR codes, weather that has already been predicted, into Spanish.

There is the security of 'universal' health care

I was not advocating that. Whether this is a reasonable function of
government is another discussion.

education

I mentioned education, but not in the context of security, and not in
the context of the benefit to the student.

housing

I did not mention housing. Ditto most of the rest.

These are all forms of security
people come to _expect_ to be provided for
them with littel or no effort on their part.

When I use the word "security" I mean "safety from attack, either by an
invading foreign force, or by ill-meaning neighbors". In that context,
it is a proper role of government.

I do not mean, and you misconstrue my words if you mean me to mean,
"comfort in knowing my needs will be met". That is =not= a proper
function of government.

Jose
--
Humans are pack animals. Above all things, they have a deep need to
follow something, be it a leader, a creed, or a mob. Whosoever fully
Old February 16th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Jay Honeck wrote:

That situation has recently changed, with the rise of misguided souls
who seem to believe that it is the U.S. taxpayer's sworn duty to
translate every official document and website into every language
(AKA: "foreign" ones), rather than raising the bar the *tiny* amount
it would take to require English language skills of our citizens.

I guess this is going to be another point where we will disagree :-)
it is not however a matter of 'moral relativism', but of different
background; I know, albeit indirectly, what forced integration
looks like, and it isn't pretty (horror stories from my late
grand dad, the french were quite brutal in their way of spreading
the 'One True Culture/Language (tm)' -- which makes it all the more
ironic when you hear them whine today about anglo-saxon cultural
imperialism, but I digress);

since we are way off topic wise, anyone could suggest a good Spanish
language course in Santa Clara county? my high-school Spanish is
quite a bit rusted and I wouldn't mind getting back to learning it.

--Sylvain
Old February 16th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ktbr

Sylvain wrote:

I guess this is going to be another point where we will disagree :-)
it is not however a matter of 'moral relativism', but of different
background; I know, albeit indirectly, what forced integration
looks like, and it isn't pretty (horror stories from my late
grand dad, the french were quite brutal in their way of spreading
the 'One True Culture/Language (tm)' -- which makes it all the more
ironic when you hear them whine today about anglo-saxon cultural
imperialism, but I digress);

How on God's green earth you have equated an opposition to government
spending taxpayer money to translate services into multple languages
with "forced integration" just illustrates that you can only demagauge
the issue.
Old February 16th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

since we are way off topic wise, anyone could suggest a good Spanish
language course in Santa Clara county? my high-school Spanish is
quite a bit rusted and I wouldn't mind getting back to learning it.

I don't know about courses in that area, but at the very least get the
tapes out of the library and start there. It's free, and it can't hurt.
You'd be surprised by what comes back.

Jose
Old February 16th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tuite

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 10:56:27 -0800, Sylvain wrote:

since we are way off topic wise, anyone could suggest a good Spanish
language course in Santa Clara county? my high-school Spanish is
quite a bit rusted and I wouldn't mind getting back to learning it.

Let me know if you find one here on vernacular Spanish.

Don )

Old February 16th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

ktbr wrote:

How on God's green earth you have equated an opposition to government
spending taxpayer money to translate services into multple languages
with "forced integration" just illustrates that you can only demagauge
the issue.

the arguments justifying either tend to be very similar, hence the
connection I made.

--Sylvain
Old February 16th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I not only am not talking about that, I have no idea what that means.

That's because you regard the government as our benefactor. You
think it's the solution, not the problem.

Those of us who regard the government as an impediment to progress
understand *exactly* what ktbr is talking about...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 16th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

That's because you regard the government as our benefactor. You
think it's the solution, not the problem.

Those of us who regard the government as an impediment to progress
understand *exactly* what ktbr is talking about...

The government is supposed to be neither our benefactor nor an
impediment to progress, although in practice, it is both.

Jose
Old February 16th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

The government is supposed to be neither our benefactor nor an
impediment to progress, although in practice, it is both.

I submit that it is your brand of ambiguity toward the proper role of
our government that has led to our current situation. Power will
always fill a vacuum, and as long as there are citizens who think "Oh,
well, it would be nice if the governent would fill in the blank for
us", we will be ever-more restricted.

I fear this type of insidious encroachment on our freedoms far more
than any overt moves by Homeland Security.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

aviation weather books Jose Piloting 3 June 2nd 05 10:43 PM
Eastern Iowa Big Kids Toy Show in Iowa City this coming weekend Jay Honeck Home Built 0 May 16th 05 03:27 PM
Eastern Iowa Big Kids Toy Show in Iowa City this coming weekend Jay Honeck Piloting 0 May 16th 05 03:27 PM
Best Aviation Weather Website? Robert Castro Piloting 8 January 14th 04 11:57 PM
Iowa Aviation Conference to be held in West Des Moines Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 October 3rd 03 12:12 AM