Why GA is Dying

Old July 27th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default Why GA is Dying

Jim Macklin wrote:
Do they bury you over there too?

"Emily" wrote in message
ups.com...

| Jim Macklin wrote:
| They probably offer a burial benefit.
|
| They do. But only if I die overseas.

Hehehehe.

No, they pay to repatriate the remains.
Old July 27th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jim Macklin wrote:
Guns are like fire extinguishers, you rarely need one, but
when you do you need it very much.

It is a good idea to not go somewhere with a gun if the only
reason you feel comfortable going there is because you have
the gun. Cops and soldiers have to go in harm's way.
Private persons do not. The gun is for the time the
predators and wild animals [there have been many people
killed and maimed in Kansas by dogs] come to you at the
market or when you're driving back to your home. A favorite
robbery tactic is to wait in the shadows near a garage door
and sneak in right behind your car. Your gun in the house
does you no good, the gun in your car does. Tip, put yard
lighting so it covers the areas around your garage so no
robber cam hide within 50 feet.

I leave that too Brandy. Brandy is our husky/shepherd mix. I really
don't depend on her for defense as she is way too nice, unless you are a
woodchuck. She really dislikes woodchucks for some reason. I depend on
her to point out the folks that I need to take care of.

Matt
Old July 27th 06, 07:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

Default POL Why GA is Dying

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:30:17 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:
No, actually it wouldn't. We in the US don't require land ownership to vote
so why should we grant voting rights because of land ownership?

We used to require land ownership to vote... Personally, I think it
was a mistake going away from it...
Old July 27th 06, 08:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Good policy, deny the means to possibly save your life, but
be generous with the benefits after you're dead.

I guess we should drop this thread for now, seems we have
gotten far off aviation.

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
|snip|

Old July 27th 06, 08:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Dogs, particularly the little ones, are good alarm systems.
The big dogs, even the gentle ones can become very defensive
and protective.

Old July 27th 06, 10:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 03:35:36 GMT, Matt Whiting
wrote:
I leave that too Brandy. Brandy is our husky/shepherd mix. I really
don't depend on her for defense as she is way too nice, unless you are a
woodchuck. She really dislikes woodchucks for some reason. I depend on
her to point out the folks that I need to take care of.

For the most part, my dog only barks at things that are likely to be
worthy of my attention and even then, not a lot of barking... He's
half German Shepherd and half St. Benard... He's rather friendly, so
the barks are more often of the "Hi nice to meet you come pet me
please please please" type of barks accompanied with lots of tail
wagging... He's accidentally killed a couple of ducks who had the
nerve to try to fly away from him when he went up there to say hi...
He handles small dogs without a problem -- one of his playmates used
to be a Jack Russel terrier who used to run circles around him...
Still, he warns me well enough that I can decide which caliber is more
appropriate for the cause of the barking... Armadillos and possums get
..22s, cats and grackles get a 1000 fps .177 air rifle pellet, most
other things get either a 12-gauge of 000-buck or a .45, dependent
upon what is closer to me at the time... If it's on my property, it's
fair game...
Old July 27th 06, 10:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:30:27 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:
It is a good idea to not go somewhere with a gun if the only
reason you feel comfortable going there is because you have
the gun.

There are some of us who refuse to allow the criminal element dictate
where we are allowed to go... Of course, maybe this is just a Texas
thing... I suspect that the liberals up in the northeast would feel
differently about this...
Old July 27th 06, 10:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 07:30:50 -0500, Emily
wrote:
I dunno, we have the signs up in the parking lot and the building saying
cc is not permitted. Yeah, I can leave it unloaded, but what's the
point in that?

If it's not a 30.06 sign, it's not legal... Regardless of that, the
2nd Amendment says, "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED", so **** 'em...

Back before Bush signed the CHL law, I carried a 12-gauge pistol grip
shotgun in my vehicle all the time... I also carried between my
vehicle and the apartment I was staying in while in Dallas... For some
reason, none of the gang banger punks wanted to bother me...
Intimidation through superior firepower, I guess...
Old July 27th 06, 11:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:27:20 -0500, Emily
wrote:
Hey, I'm *totally* fine with people owning guns. I'd own one myself if
I hadn't just bought a house, car, and checkout in a Seneca. What I'm
not ok with is someone *knowing* that I own a gun.

Awh, come on... This is Texas... It's assumed that *eveyone* owns a
gun anyway... Although I keep most of my guns locked up in a 1600 lb
gun safe, there's always at least one that I have with me or *very*
close to me... If I'm asleep, it's on the nightstand... My dog wakes
me up when something comes around that I might need to kill...

I don't want to be killed in my house by my own gun.

You would rather be killed by one of your kitchen knives? That's
probably more statically likely...

And with cc permit info out there for everyone, it would
be very easy to find those people.

But a significant portion of the gun owners do not get a CHL for
whatever reason... Some because they only hunt with their firearms or
go to the range... Some because they do not believe that the
government has a right to restrict their 2nd Amendment rights... If we
didn't have a CHL here in Texas, I would still carry...

Because let's face it, it's hard for a woman to conceal a firearm in
Texas in the summer.

And it is easier for a guy???

Women are expected to be carrying purses... The best us guys can do is
carry it in a fanny pack... Yeah, there are some briefcases that have
conceals compartments, but you can't carry them around with you
*everywhere*... I'm able to carry an 11-shot .45 around in a fanny
pack that is not so large that it screams "CARRYING"... Not exactly
something that I could do with a typical M1911 type of .45...
Old July 27th 06, 11:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:09:50 -0500, Emily
wrote:
And still...if I own a gun, I don't want criminals knowing. That makes
you a target.

I must disagree... Criminals are going to go after easy targets... If
there is a greater chance that they might get killed by their intended
target, they will go elsewhere... It's all a risk and reward type of
scenario... Pretty much the same reason cops go after speeders vs real
criminals -- low risk, good money vs high risk and expending money for
trial and incarceration...