Question to Mxmanic

Old April 18th 07, 06:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Question to Mxmanic

swag writes:

Can you set an autopilot to do a 60 degree bank angle turn? Mine
won't do that.

It depends on the autopilot. On large aircraft you can, although they usually
won't go to 60 degrees.

Old April 18th 07, 11:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

On Apr 17, 5:09 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
Air does not behave very much like an imcompressible fluid at low air
speeds. Not even close.

That's not what the engineers say.

Maybe only the ones that drives locomotives.

Under some conditions, low air speeds is one of them, air can be
treated like it is an imcompressible fluid.

Obviously air, being a gas, can be compressed, but taking that into account at
low speeds greatly complicates the calculations, and the final result isn't
significantly different.

Duh.

Old April 18th 07, 11:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
mike regish

Actually, there is a liquid formula that deep sea divers can breathe.
Flourine something or other.

But you can breathe water, too. You only get to inhale once, though.

mike

wrote in message
In rec.aviation.piloting Mxsmanic wrote:

And no, it is not possible to breathe water, you can only breathe
gases, if you want to be pendantically, semantically correct.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Old April 18th 07, 11:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
mike regish

Actually, he doesn't.

mike

"rq3" wrote in message
. net...
Anthony, you've got the issue of compressibility precisely backwards. No
surprise.

Rip

Old April 18th 07, 11:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
mike regish

Again, actually he doesn't.

mike

"rq3" wrote in message
et...
Anthony, my boy, your interpretation is incorrect. At Mach, the air has
compressed as much as it can, which is why it takes so much energy to
force a solid object through Mach. You have the concepts reversed in your
head.

Rip

If you look in books on aerodynamics, you'll find that air is effectively
an
incompressible fluid at low speeds, such as those encountered in small
aircraft. It isn't until you get to the transonic range that compression
starts to be an issue, and the rules change substantially at and beyond
the
speed of sound.

Old April 18th 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Tim[_4_]

"Rip" wrote

Tim, get with the program, man. Mxsmanic has never flown anything other
than Microsoft Flight Simulator. Seriously.

That's what we are talking about.

Even in MSFS you can see the effect of flying back through your own
turbulence when doing a proper 360.

BDS

Old April 18th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
mike regish

It is not acceleration. It is speed. GPS travels much faster than we do. I
doubt we have clocks accurate enough to measure the relativistic effects at
our speeds.

And climbing has nothing to do with relativity.

mike

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
writes:

Duh.

The clock on your aircraft runs slower as you accelerate, due to
relativistic
effects. But then it also runs faster as you climb, again due to
relativistic
effects. Do you take these effects into account in your on-board
calculations?

[And while they may be trivial for aircraft, they are not in all
cases--the
GPS has to be adjusted for these effects to maintain accuracy, for
example.]

Old April 18th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
swag

On Apr 17, 11:39 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
swag writes:
Can you set an autopilot to do a 60 degree bank angle turn? Mine
won't do that.

It depends on the autopilot. On large aircraft you can, although they usually
won't go to 60 degrees.

so didyou when you did your "test flight?" You won't encounter a bump
from wake turbulence unless you are doing a steep turn ( like 45
degree bank angle which should take 19 seconds to go 360)

Old April 18th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Erik

Mxsmanic wrote:

Not without descending. The wake _must_ descend. This means that you cannot
catch it unless you descend, also. If you can explain how this rule can be
broken, I'm listening.

Nope. If you've completed a 360 turn, and you're at the same altitude
(within a few feet), you wil go over it. The first time you do it
yourself (not your smartass CFI that can just do it as if it were easy)
it's pretty great. Kind of like running over a dog in a car, not hard
like a speed bump, but soft and squishy.