A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

IGCDroid : A new android glider tracker

Old January 31st 15, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver
external usenet poster

Default IGCDroid : A new android glider tracker

On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 10:44:25 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
The cell based solutions are great but I see them complimentary to spot/inreach, and not a replacement. Spot/inreach are pretty consistent in sending updates in fix intervals, typically 10 min, while cell based may have long gaps especially if you fly high or in the desert such as in western US. More importantly, in the event of a crash where the pilot is incapacitated, spot/inreach may continue sending your location, or at least show your last location shortly before the crash.

Ramy

This is a great discussion, I think everybody should understand the advantages and limitations of the technologies they use.

Ramy, if you are worried about incapacitation in a crash then shouldn't you have an ELT that will auto activate when you crash. (see http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/emerbcns.html) Using spot/inreach will mean a long delay before anybody knows something is wrong. The delay is critical if you are incapacitated. Granted, the cell solution isn't any better.

The choices I see (in cost order comparing apples/oranges)

ELT
Spot/Inreach
PLB
Cell solution
Smoke signals
Nothing

Alan

Old February 1st 15, 08:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

I have ELT although I think it should be listed second after Spot/Inreach. Even modern ELTs are known to not be very reliable in crashes. They often either don't get activated, break, or their antenna break. A spot/Inreach will at least provide approximate location. Also with spot/Inreach chances are that your crew/friends/club/FBO will be the first to notice an issue and can use better judgement than SAR who may just get an ELT signal.

Ramy
Old February 3rd 15, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou
external usenet poster

Any idea if this app uses a lot of data? That might be an issue for those with limited data phone plans.

Lou
Old February 3rd 15, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 1:52:49 PM UTC-7, MNLou wrote:
Any idea if this app uses a lot of data? That might be an issue for those with limited data phone plans.

Lou

The data sent is the content of your IGC file. It is just sent piece by piece.

I would add 10-20% to cover data transmission overhead.

The default position recording rate is a variable sample rate which is equivalent in data size to a 5 second sample rate. You can choose the data sample rate, from 1sec to 5mins.

The bottom line is a typical selfie is going to use a lot more than a typical flight. Probably more than your longest ever flight.

Alan

Old February 3rd 15, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 3:33:28 PM UTC-6, kiwiindenver wrote:

The bottom line is a typical selfie is going to use a lot more than a typical flight. Probably more than your longest ever flight.

Alan

Great response Alan! Thank you. I will be downloading the app this evening.

Lou