IPC G1000

Old August 29th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Denny

Default IPC G1000

And what happens in the real world in IMC when you have a complete
electrical loss for a few seconds that abruptly shuts down the G1000?

The G1000 is then brain dead afterwards? (I know it could not be
certified if so)... So, knowing the certification requirements I am
comfortable that pulling the CB on the G1000 will not harm it in any
fashion... Now a reboot may take longer than you like...

That said, whatm frequency of 'partial' failure of the G1000 is
reasonable to expect? no peeking at the answer
Give up? OK, the answer is very rarely... Partial failure of a CPU
driven device is rare... If it fails it will go toes up, blank screen -
just as you pass the outer marker usually.. The only failure that is
likely partial is if the antenna breaks off the NAV radio, the headset
shorts out, etc..

So how do you practice a partial panel with something like the G1000?
no peeking again
You pull the CB on the G1000 and fly the plane on what little is left
on the panel - because that is what is more likely to happen in the
real world than just losing your DG screen, etc...

think about it...

denny

Old August 30th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Denny wrote:
And what happens in the real world in IMC when you have a complete
electrical loss for a few seconds that abruptly shuts down the G1000?

My point is harming the very expensive avionics by pulling a circuit
breaker.

I did not intend to suggest that a sudden loss of electrical power would
suddenly render the components forever dead.

It is a whole lot of money to be playing games with.
Old August 30th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven Barnes

A year ago, while flying a G1000 equipped Diamond DA-40, I accidentally hit
the master/alt switch with my map book. We were VFR, but the panel going
black scared me for a sec. When I realized the plane was still chugging
along I flipped the switch back up. Perhaps a little too quickly. The PFD
came online & booted pretty quickly. The GPS would not hook up, though.
Radios worked, VORs worked. Just no GPS. Weird.
Got a quick refresher in pilotage. :-)

I never heard from the FBO about any problems afterwards & flew the plane a
few times after that with no trouble. No clue why the GPS wouldn't find
itself, but the primary stuff & engine gauges came back very fast.

They need to move the master/alt switch, though.

Old August 30th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Or put a guard on it, can be as simple as a metal or
plastic wall.

Was the GPS totally dead or just not locked on the
satellites?

. com...

Old August 30th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Al[_1_]

Denny wrote:
And what happens in the real world in IMC when you have a complete
electrical loss for a few seconds that abruptly shuts down the G1000?

My point is harming the very expensive avionics by pulling a circuit
breaker.

I don't think you can "harm" the avionics by removing power, by CB or
otherwise.

I did not intend to suggest that a sudden loss of electrical power would
suddenly render the components forever dead.

It is a whole lot of money to be playing games with.

True, but your safety may depend on your knowledge of just how those
expensive avionics will respond. For instance, in case of smoke it is my
intention to secure all electrical power. I should know what happens when I
do this, and then restore power.

Al G

Old August 30th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

The problem with pulling the breakers:

Loosing a display does not seem to be a big deal, jsut fly via the other one.
So pulling a PFD breaker is no big deal.

The one failure that does seem to be a big deal is to loose the AHRS (gyros)
or ADC (airspeed altitude etc..)
Both AHARS and ADC are on the same breaker in a 182, so the logical thing to do is
pull hte breaker and simulate a failure. However the ADC data provides the altitude to
the transponder, so pulling the breaker kills mode C.
I have not asked, but it seems that flying around with no mode-C will no be allowed by ATC in so-cal.

Paul

Old August 30th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Denny wrote:
The G1000 is then brain dead afterwards? (I know it could not be
certified if so)... So, knowing the certification requirements I am
comfortable that pulling the CB on the G1000 will not harm it in any
fashion... Now a reboot may take longer than you like...

Even when Garmin (at least in the factory training courses) says not
to? I think Garmin would tell you that you are trying to simulate the
wrong things, the result of old school thinking about things that have
total failures. The odds of the two buses and the stdby battery bus all
dieing at the same time are about nill. If an individual LRU were to
fail, there is always a backup (which is what you should be testing).
For many items the backup kicks in without you knowing (GPS), if the
main computer/display dies you go into reversion mode, if the airspeed
computer dies you use the steam gauge below. They would probably argue
that you should spend more time practicing shooting approaches with the
PFD dead and the MFD in rever mode or using the airspeed off the steam
gauge and less time trying to come up with your own scenarios.

-Robert, CFII

Old August 30th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

True, but your safety may depend on your knowledge of just how those
expensive avionics will respond. For instance, in case of smoke it is my
intention to secure all electrical power. I should know what happens when I
do this, and then restore power.

But Cessna has given us an entire FITS training syllabus to train from.
Don't you think their training scenarios would be more realistic than
yours? It just seems odd to me that you are trying to "out smart" them.
During FITS training we do some work with the system in reversion mode
but we also do some with the back up steam gauges. If the airspeed
computer fails you just get red X's across the screen and you read the
steam gauge. Not sure why using the Cessna training method of having
the student use the steam gauges doesn't meet your needs.

-Robert, CFII

Old August 31st 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter Clark

On 30 Aug 2006 15:44:44 -0700, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

Denny wrote:
[...]

Heck, Garmin would probably be cheering for people to fry their GIAs,
once out of warranty they're ~10k each to replace. I haven't seen an
AHARS invoice yet.

G1000 question Robert M. Gary Piloting 0 May 1st 06 10:36 PM
New Garmin G1000 Book - read part online Max T, CFI Aviation Marketplace 0 April 16th 06 03:59 PM
G1000 trainer simulator problems akiley Simulators 2 March 25th 06 07:54 PM
G1000 Check out Michelle Piloting 105 January 7th 06 04:33 AM
G1000 lost GPS for a bit Steven Barnes Piloting 3 July 26th 05 02:56 AM