Buzzing

Old November 20th 04, 04:08 PM
Dudley Henriques

"ShawnD2112" wrote in message
news
Treetops?!?! Come on, Dudley, you gotta get LOW to consider it
buzzing! :-)

Shawn

There was a building in the way!! :-))

One witness had the airplane BELOW the tree line coming up the road.
:-)))

Old November 20th 04, 04:18 PM
Dudley Henriques

You know Shawn, I guess I should qualify this a bit better as I didn't
make a career of breaking FAA regulations :-)))
.. This particular "buzz job" was a once in a lifetime shot. I had very
good reason to be there and to be doing it.
I was attending the funeral of a fighter pilot friend that I had missed
attending at that cemetery sixteen years earlier.......and for this
particular friend, I would do it again tomorrow :-)

"ShawnD2112" wrote in message
news
Treetops?!?! Come on, Dudley, you gotta get LOW to consider it
buzzing! :-)

Shawn

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
On 19 Nov 2004 02:17:41 -0800, (Ramapriya) wrote:

What's buzzing? I've heard it's some kind of a feel-good maneuver..

I was at a cocktail party / family reunion (not my family!) where
the
old guy reminisced about the hostess's uncle who knocked a brick off
the chimney of the family house, buzzing it with a P-51 in 1945 or
thereabouts.

*That's* buzzing!

NAH! Buzzing is taking a P51 up a country road at 8AM on a Sunday
morning at 60 inches and 3000RPM so low that the prop tips are almost
leaving a swath through the pine tree tops, then overflying a church
and cemetery at 50 feet; then pulling it off the deck into a climbing
slow roll, disappearing in a hurry before some sharp eyed character
down there had time to get the numbers.
Then after you've managed to scare the hell out of half of the
congregation at the Haywood Baptist Church in Haywood Virginia that
Sunday morning, Reader's Digest comes along and gets another 23
million people in 17 languages, Braille, and large print, to sit on
their butts on their toilets all over the world (that's where
everybody keeps Reader's Digest I think) and read all about it
without you getting arrested.
Now THAT'S buzzing!!! :-)
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
for email; take out the trash

Old November 20th 04, 04:59 PM
Peter Duniho

"PJ Hunt" wrote in message
Although I don't condone it, I also don't agree that a properly performed
'buzz job' must end with a crash into a house, or even that it is
necessarily only performed by idiot pilots.

I guess you and I have different definitions of what a "buzz job" is. In my
book, by definition, "buzz jobs" are performed only by idiot pilots. For
qualified pilots engaging in low, high-speed flight in a safe, well-planned
manner, I use other less-inflammatory terms.

Old November 20th 04, 05:13 PM
Roger

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 00:50:05 -0900, "PJ Hunt"
wrote:

"G.R. Patterson III" grpphoto@ wrote

Flying very low at relatively high speed.

So Super Cubs and the likes are exempt from 'buzzing' due to lack of high
speed.

The key word is "relatively". :-))

I guess that depends on how you look at it. You just have to get
lower, but watch out for the clothesline when flying between the
garage and house.

For a typical "buzz job", you would dive at the object you wanted to buzz,
level off a few feet above the highest point there, fly over it, and climb

rapidly.

There is a reason they call the old "butch haircut" a buzz job.

So if I'm just flying along level, with out diving, and fly over your head
by just a few feet, and continue on without climbing, that is not buzzing?

I would have thought it was. Just food for thought.

A couple Summers back, my wife and I were working out in the front
yard when we heard someone talking to us. No one in the yard. Looked
up and there was a Cub about 5 to 10 feet over the trees with the
power off. As he glided out of site behind the house we heard the
power come back up.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

PJ

Old November 20th 04, 06:02 PM
Dudley Henriques

"PJ Hunt" wrote in message
Hey Peter,

Although I don't condone it, I also don't agree that a properly
performed
'buzz job' must end with a crash into a house, or even that it is
necessarily only performed by idiot pilots.

A few of the best pilots I've ever known have done plenty of these
stunts
and more and have thousands more hours of both Mark and I combined,
and they
are by no means idiots.

Just my own personal observations.

PJ

Well...I'll tell ya;

I personally own what can arguably be considered the most widely
publicized "buzz job" in aviation history, so naturally I have some
comment on this issue. :-)
My little departure from the straight and narrow was a long time ago. I
felt at the time it was justified because it involved deep personal
reasons for doing it. I was wrong. It wasn't justified. I should note
here as well that this was a unique event involving extremely personal
factors. I didn't make it a habit of this kind of flying.
But looking back today on this single event, I would have to say that
all things being equal, finding myself in the same circumstances again,
and at the same time in my life that this event occurred, I would do it
again because of the unique events involved; but notice I said "at that
time in my life".
Today, I wouldn't do it. Although the circumstances led me to do this at
that time, I wouldn't do it today, nor would I encourage anyone else to
engage in unauthorized low flying, no matter what the reason.
I did it.....I'm glad I did it for the reasons I had for doing it. (Get
Reader's Digest April 1985 "A Little Help From A Friend" by Dudley
Henriques for the reasons I had for doing it) but all things
considered, it wasn't a smart move.
It's ironic that after this event, I went on to become fairly well known
as a demonstration pilot flying "authorized" low altitude aerobatics and
have been deeply involved in airshow flight safety issues all through my
professional tenure in aviation.
Buzzing can kill you, make no mistake about it. There is no reason,
personal or other wise that justifies doing it.
If there was one positive thing I took away from my little "buzz job",
it was using it later on as a negative example for the pilots I lectured
on flight safety who came after me :-)
Just for what it's worth......

Old November 20th 04, 08:10 PM
Scott Skylane

Dudley Henriques wrote:

I personally own what can arguably be considered the most widely
publicized "buzz job" in aviation history, so naturally I have some
comment on this issue. :-)

/much snipped/
Just for what it's worth......
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship

Good grief, Dudley! What did you have to pay your personal team of
lawyers to write that disclaimer???
Old November 20th 04, 08:28 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Scott Skylane" wrote in message
Dudley Henriques wrote:

I personally own what can arguably be considered the most widely
publicized "buzz job" in aviation history, so naturally I have some
comment on this issue. :-)

/much snipped/
Just for what it's worth......
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship

Good grief, Dudley! What did you have to pay your personal team of
lawyers to write that disclaimer???

Not sure I understand the gist of what you're saying about a disclaimer,
but I'll assume it's friendly unless I learn otherwise. :-)
The statement isn't meant to be a boast of any kind....far from it. If
you're reading it that way it's obvious you know little about me
personally.
It's simply a fact, unless you have a source for a buzzing that was
more publicized than this one involving my overflight of the Haywood
Baptist Church Cemetery in 1971.

Old November 20th 04, 11:21 PM
Roger

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:18:46 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
wrote:

You know Shawn, I guess I should qualify this a bit better as I didn't
make a career of breaking FAA regulations :-)))
. This particular "buzz job" was a once in a lifetime shot. I had very
good reason to be there and to be doing it.
I was attending the funeral of a fighter pilot friend that I had missed
attending at that cemetery sixteen years earlier.......and for this
particular friend, I would do it again tomorrow :-)

"I understand" that chasing snowmobiles and 4-wheelers violating on
state land is interesting. I can't do it in the Deb though...It has
those great big numbers on the side. :-))

I have circled a bunch of them at minimum "legal" altitude and watched
them run for cover . They must have thought I was from the Department
of Natural Resources. Too bad they don't realize they stand out like a
sore thumb in all that brush during the winter. :-))

I once saw a B-17 do a really good imitation of the North, by North
West scene :-)) and I've seen the video tape shot from the ground.

Now THAT was a buzz job! An IMPRESSIVE buzz job!
He may not have been as fast as the P-51, but he sure was *big* and
*loud*.

Old November 21st 04, 12:00 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Roger" wrote in message

I once saw a B-17 do a really good imitation of the North, by North
West scene :-)) and I've seen the video tape shot from the ground.

Now THAT was a buzz job! An IMPRESSIVE buzz job!
He may not have been as fast as the P-51, but he sure was *big* and
*loud*.

Big and loud is good.
Fish Salmon had a great buzz job once on Okinawa while flying solo
position with the Thunderbirds. You can't go mach 1 in the U.S during a
show for obvious reasons, but nobody said anything about Okinawa!
Fish brought his F100 in from the ocean during his opening pass at the
Thunderbird's show there sneaking in at about 50 feet in max AB going
super just as he passed right over the crowd from the blind side.
The TB alum STILL talk about that pass whenever the old timers get
together at an O Club somewhere to share a few........memories! :-)
Dudley