Seeking anecdotes about "instructor in command"

Old July 7th 04, 12:31 AM
Robert M. Gary

Andrew Gideon wrote in message gonline.com...
Hi, all:

I'm giving a presentation on what someone here called "instructor in
command" syndrome: a pilot getting complacent because there's an instructor
in the aircraft.

I've found a number of good ones here, but any more - esp. with something
"interesting" - would be welcome.

When I was checking out in a 182RG the CFI took me to an airport that
was in a bowl (rising terrain on either end of the runway). He was a
very high time CFI but I was an experienced pilot. The visual ques of
the terrain caused me to be way too high on final. I asked the CFI if
I should go around and he didn't respond. I assumed that meant I was
ok (since he knew the plane more than I). He assumed I knew short
fields better than him (I'd probably done more real short field
flying). We touched down 1/2 way down the runway and were just able to
stop in time with the elevator back and the brakes cooking (did I
mention the runway was 300 feet shorter due to some repaving on the
end ).

I'd also appreciate it if someone could point me at a reference to something
that I've been told occurred. A CFI was sitting in the back of an aircraft
that made a bad landing. Even though the CFI had no role in the flight, he
bore some of the brunt from the FAA.

I've heard this to and have decided it must be an Urban legend. I have
heard similar but none of them seemed as bad as the story went.

-Robert, CFI
Old July 8th 04, 02:18 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
So what you're postulating is the existence of a pilot who stops
asessing risk just because the instructor is there, even though he's
actually a pilot who is already able to fly on his own, and thus
necessarily able to asess and manage risk? Are you sure this actually
happens?

I've noticed this happening to me...maybe there's something I can do
well when I'm on my own, but with an instructor there I seem to not
do so well.

Why? Because I become more passive. Maybe it's because I don't
"have" to do it. Maybe it's because I'm waiting for approval to do it
or waiting for confirmation I'm doing the right thing, or rather not
getting shouted at for doing the wrong thing. Maybe it's a less
heightened state of awareness. It introduces a slight delay, maybe akin
to getting an hour's less sleep!

Paul

Old July 8th 04, 02:40 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
I simply have a hard time imagining how it would happen. I mean, if
what you're doing is within your envelope, why do you have the
instructor there? You could simply do it yourself.

Checking out in a new aircraft. Checking out in the same type of
aircraft but owned by a different club/FBO/person. A BFR. Going
up after a break think you'd be rusty but actually you find that you'd
have done ok (and did worse because the instructor was there?).

Several reasons.

I got checked out in a 172 recently after having not flown a 172 for
about 2 years. I can fly 172s (honestly!). But for a fair bit of the
checkout, I didn't feel like I was totally in control. I think I was less
in tune with the aircraft than I would have been had I just taken it
up on my own. My landings were very good, I got the sign off and
found that the next time I got in (on my own) it was as if I'd never
been away from 172s.

A few years ago I tried to do a checkout in the club 172 at Cardiff.
I didn't do that well, and the instructor suggested I needed more
practise before she would sign me off. A short while later, I got the
use of another 172 at Cardiff. It didn't require a checkout and there
was no one to check me out anyway. I just got in and flew it perfectly
(or as perfectly as I'd ever flown anything! :-) ).

Paul