Posting activity decline?

Old December 24th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Birdog

Default Posting activity decline?

I am an 82 year old grounded pilot, but my heart is still in the air. I
still enjoy discussions of the basics on here, which appear too seldom.
After years of flying, the very last time I left the ground I was still
mesmorized watching the ground drop away - with the very mystique of being
able to fly. After I lost my medical, I tried RC models, and it was little
better than having a toy airplane on a string. I tried simulated flying on
the 'net, and found it totally lacking in reality. So nowdays, I just
daydream a bout what once was.

So, like sex, you young guys enjoy what you have while you have it. I wish
everyone could experience the smell of fabric and gasoline in the old tail
draggers, and the feel and forgiveness of a grass strip. I keep telling
myself that I have been lucky as hell!

Old December 25th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tech Support

George

A very Merry Christmas to you and all who use the greeting Merry
Chrismas.

Those who don't, just delete and go ur way.

Lurker mostly, any more.

Big John

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 11:48:57 -0800 (PST), george
wrote:

On Dec 24, 10:04*am, Gig 601Xl Builder

Let's look at rec.boats

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.boats/about?hl=en

Nope, no 10:1 decline there in a year and they are about the size we
were before the crap.

Well.
To all the lurkers out there its that time of year when we stop
slagging off our fellowmen for one day.
So a round of seasonal greetings to every-one out there and fair
weather for us as fly

Old December 25th 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tech Support

Bird Dog

Sounds like me.

Birds with just a skag and no tail wheel.

The smell (oil, dope, etc) of the old birds you can never forget.

OX engines

Navigating by the signs painted on the water towers and barns.

Of course I don't expect you young ones to remember all the things of
early flying )

A very Merry Christmas.

Big John (1921 a good year)

Old December 25th 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

On Dec 21, 12:45*pm, Ricky wrote:
Is something wrong or was the last post here really on Friday?
Been gone awhile. Came back to check it out and I see no posting
activity for 1.5 days and wondering what's up.

Ricky...New P, will be A soon...(A&P)

Left for Beechtalk after the immature trolls took over. Check this
maybe once a week because it used to be an interesting forum.
Old December 27th 08, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Mishler[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Well, many thought Mx had contaminated the group, but then bertie and
maxi gave us a tutorial on true toxic typing. Those of us who wanted
content have mostly gone elsewhere, and check back in here once in a
while.

Roger that. This is my first time here in weeks, ...

So where are the genuine posters going to?

Old December 27th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On Dec 21, 2:48*pm, george wrote:
On Dec 22, 8:28*am, "Martin X. Moleski, SJ"
wrote:

I haven't been paying attention closely enough to say.

Looking at the Google portrait of the group, there has
been a huge decline in posts in the last couple of months:

It comes and goes.
While there are few posts there are a number who browse the group and
respond when their particular interest comes up

There's another type as well.
Some of us who bring up the group, see something related to aviation
that might need an answer or response or even an exchange of useful
dialog with a poster asking about aviation related material; we start
to answer say a question asking for example whether stall is related
to airspeed or angle of attack, then we remember the last time we
answered an aviation question and got a response that went something
like "go f**k yourself you rotten stupid son-of-a-bitch, then instead
of hitting the send button, we just close the window and go somewhere
else.
Dudley Henriques
Old December 29th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Roger that. This is my first time here in weeks, ...

So where are the genuine posters going to?

Pilots of America is a good alternative. It's got a clunky interface, but
great people who actually discuss aviation.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 29th 08, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Roger that. This is my first time here in weeks, and all I see are the
same old trolls that destroyed the group in the first place. Sadly, now
that they've driven off pretty much everyone, they've been reduced to
spitting at each other.

I didn't realize they were still here. My kill files have taken them all
out.

It does seem that they must be spitting at only each other, and none of the
regular people, interested in only aviation, are responding to them, at all.
_That_ is a big change from days of old.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 29th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Dec 23, 1:57*pm, "Martin X. Moleski, SJ"
wrote:

rec.models.rc.air has been in decline for three or four years.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.m...ir/about?hl=en

My son and I used to visit that bunch. He was into RC models
and I was/am a flight instructor and aircraft mechanic. We often saw
some weird misconceptions about many aspect of aviation, including the
theory of flight, properties of the atmosphere, downwind turns and the
like. Anytime some of those guys were challenged about what they were
disseminating, and proven in error by easily-done research, they'd get
really hostile. Many RCers went to moderated groups elsewhere, leaving
the grumpy old guys to their mistaken ideas.

Dan

Old December 30th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Private

wrote:

[...]

Feeling and experience shared,
This was once a good place to find intelligent discourse on a wide range of
subject, a kind of commons,
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten.../162/3859/1243
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_Commons
Glad to see you (and some others) are still here,
With hopes for the future (but no expectations),
I wish you all Seasons Greetings and health, wealth and happiness in the New
Year.

Happy landings,