what do the bachelors do for crew?

Old November 10th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Default what do the bachelors do for crew?

On Nov 9, 9:24 pm, wrote:
Obviously not a connoisseur of "There I was at 1500 feet" stories...

Been flying and ASH-26E for almost 5 years now and have made many saves
from 1500' (that's still pretty high) and sometimes even less... If
near a quiet rural airport, there's no problem starting beloww 1,000'.
But over a mountain meadow with no roads in sight, I'll attempt the
start in a way so I have plenty of time to concentrate on the landing
if the engine fails.

My wife of over 20 years comes with me to the airport every time I fly,
and often volunteers to get the engine challenged members of the club
if one happens to land out Oh, and tomorrow we're flying together
in the ASK-21 as she regains currency after a break of flying for a few
years.

-Tom

PS: We met at the airport...

Old November 10th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Lindsay

In article . com, Papa3
writes

01-- Zero One wrote:
Not a married guy are you, Johan!!!

:-)

Larry

There is a rule of thumb which posits that the time spent at the
airport by any significant other varies inversely with the stage in the
relationship:

Just started dating: "This is cool, when can we go back to the
airport"
Dating a while: "This is cool, I'll meet you there later"
Dating a long time: "This is cool, I'll skip today but I'll see you
tomorrow"
Engaged: "This is cool, but I'll meet you for dinner afterward"
Just married: "Do you have to go to the airport today?"
First child: " You're not going to the airport today, are you?"
Second child: "Don't even think about it"

Many years ago there was an article in S&G by Mike Bird which described
Mrs Bird saying
"You seem to think gliding is a substitute for sex"
"No," he claims he said, "Sex is a substitute for gliding".

There is a Serious Point in there somewhere...

--
Mike Lindsay
Old November 10th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rory O'Conor

I agree that this has nothing to do with marital status. When I took up
gliding my wife sought the advice of other glider pilot wives and I got
a very negative response when I suggested that she might like to
retrieve me once in a blue moon. This was a key factor in my purchase of
an SLMG (or turbo).
=20
I still try to retrieve fellow club members whenever possible, in the
hope that they may come and rescue me on rare occasions. I think two
forced landings in three years (both without crew properly arranged).
=20
At competitions I find some other competitor without crew and agree to
mutually retrieve if necessary.=20
=20
Not entirely necessary, because I still have the odd friend, I also use
a self-rigging device, which means that, with an SLMG, I am entirely
independant and can rig first thing in the morning and derig if I arrive
back at the Club and no-one is around.
=20
Rory
=20
Some of them get a motorglider! My wife thinks motorgliders are

great,

Old November 10th 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Claudia Buengen

Dunno about wives, but my boyfriend crews for me, and he's the best crew
I could wish for.
He's there to support me, fill my camelbak, tape the glider, etc. when
I'm all flustered before setting off, he picks me up either from the
airfield or any other field I happen to end up in, and he also knows how
to mend the gadgets if I break them!

Claudia
Old November 10th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Aleksandar Diklic

"Claudia Buengen" wrote in message
Dunno about wives, but my boyfriend crews for me, and he's the best crew

.... Claudia

Yes, a boyfriend would do all right, if you have one, but what if we are
str8?

Old November 10th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Claudia Buengen

Aleksandar Diklic wrote:
Yes, a boyfriend would do all right, if you have one, but what if we

are
str8?

I am...
Old November 11th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This one got married

Old November 11th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soarer999

I usually fly without a crew. One time I landed out on a Sunday
afternoon 100 miles from the airport and hitch-hiked back. After a good
night's sleep I drove to a small town near the landout site and
inquired at a small store about any teens needing a few dollars to help
load the sailplane. Two were found by the clerk and I was back at the
airport by noon.